It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

An unknown early Aramaic take on the Crucifixion

page: 1

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 03:30 PM
I say unknown because it isn't yet recognized as such, being an early Mandaic text in Aramaic presenting something of a mystery;

On the Moon and on the storm i ride

And I came and found the earth as encircled and the sky as sealed

He the man of mischief was in the palace, in all its four corners

The earth quaked and the sky trembled before the man, that within it's borders and on its base stood.

I called out to him, mischief, in the name of Mah-Adur-Gusnaspu son of Mama.

It stands so that earth rotates and turns itself but not so the sky, which he tears open and he rips asunder.

For this reason I hung the mischievous man with the skull curls on and bound him with the words of his tongue.

The magical practices of Nanaya of Borsippa and the words of the sages of Babylon had began to destroy the beauty of Earth

In seol I grabbed him and tied him with my hands, put him on a mountain and asked of him to the small boy, who he grabs and to the little girls he torments.

Those grabbed me saying let him not go and threw him down.

The Aramaic text

In my opinion that is a Mandaean take on the crucifixion and their understanding of it's neccesity, that the sky was going to be stopped from turning in some sense due to the establishment of a fixed celestial axis. The hung man there also stands accused of association with the magical practises of Nanaya, which i what i was researching when i came across it.

The Mandaeans were very much opposed to anything concerning Nanaya and had made it their business to exorcise all her former cultic sites;

Bound is Istarte of the new town (territory), the Istarte who sits on the bank of the Euphrates and calls herself Mulit. Bound are the sixty-six Ilahas. Bound is the phalanx of Nanay, she and her seven sisters who dwell on the river Harin Bound (and shackled) is Nanay of Borṣip and shackled is Nanay of Bīt Guzayye which is in Gahzay

The earliest Mandaic texts also know Nabû as the god of Borsippa . In one Mandaic incantation, a reference is made to Nanaya as a magical medium beside the “wise men of Babylon”. On a magic bowl, Nanaya is called “mistress of the world.”

Nanaya on the Demonic hit-list

The question then is why would the Mandaeans have considered Jesus, if that is to whom the text refers, as having any sort of dalliance with Nanaya...?

The suggested companion of Jesus was of Magdala Nunayya, which gets translated as Tower of Fishes, but also in terms of a play on words Nunayya and Nanaya amount to pretty much the same thing in Aramaic. Nanaya was a personification of Inanna or Ishtar in terms of the Queen.

Some texts mention a group of goddesses collectively named the "Ladies" Nanaya, Beltu-§a-Re§, Usur-amassu, and Urkayltu. They formed with Istar a pentad which stood at the center of the religious life of Uruk, it is probable that each of these goddesses was to some degree viewed as a manifestation of Istar.

The importance of Nanaya in the pantheon of Uruk derived from her position as daughter of An, and also as daughter of Inanna, with whom she became syncretized at a very early date. A hymn with prayer for king Isbi-Erra portrays the goddess as a creature of Inanna, endowed with the same attributes, and to whom Inanna has delegated her powers:

In her role as goddess of love, the quality which is most consistently ascribed to Nanaya is expressed by the Sumerian word bi-li, "charm, luxuriance, voluptuousness, sensuality.

Nanaya then was Inanna manifest in the form of the Queen, Inanna incarnate...a suggestion that would have horrified the Mandaeans, and also i suppose would horrify most Christians come to that.

Lady of the princely powers, emerging brilliantly like the daylight, chosen forever for her virtuous beauty! Nanaya, ornament of E-ana, worthy of the Lady! Wise one, correctly chosen as lady of all the lands by the Mistress: Nanaya, you instruct the Land, bestowing wisdom in E-ana

Nanaya, properly educated by holy Inana, woman who is as bright as the stars, wise lady who is available for everything, righteous sympathetic woman, lady who is always available on request,counseled by holy Inana, beloved by the Mistress!

Nanaya, great judge, deity who occupies the high throne of Uruk!

Nanaya was very nice though, a good listener, which is fortunate as her consort never shut up and thus truly a match made in Heaven;

Lady of Hearing and of Favor. She was rarely invoked apart from her husband, Nabu, whose name means “speaking.” Thus, while Nabu speaks, Nanaya listens.

Nanaya, by the command of An you are the queen of all the countries.

In the shrine, in Kulaba he declares it,and the people turn their hearts towards you as you address them. Nanaya, good woman, you are the favorable name of the black-headed!

Is the world yet ready to face the 'horror' of Nanaya...?

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 03:51 PM
a reply to: Kantzveldt

Sorry, I don't see anything there that has any connection to Christ crucified. Just because it's in Aramaic and that's likely the language Jesus spoke isn't much of a connection -- it's the language that the Jews picked up during the Babylonian exile. Someone writing in Babylon about a Babylonian religion in Aramaic isn't surprising.

You might find some cross-contamination between the Mandaeans and the Gnostic Christians, but they were not Christians and didn't believe that Christ died on the cross.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 04:07 PM
a reply to: adjensen

The Mandaeans were opposed to Christianity and hence that is why i suggested that the man of mischief was their take on things, they recognized though both John and Jesus as Mandaean Nasurai

You, John, baptize me with your baptism
In the name that you pronounce, pronounce upon me.
If I become a disciple,
I will mention myself in my written decree.
If I do not become a disciple,
Erase my name from your scroll.
You will be held responsible for your sin
And I will be held responsible for my sin.”

When Jesus Christ said these things,
A letter came to John from the House of Abatur:
“Baptize the deceiver in the Jordan.
Bring him down into the Jordan.
Baptize him, do not be grieved.”

He brought him back up to the shore.
Spirit took the form of a dove.
She made a cross in the Jordan
and she lifted up the waters in colors,
and said to the Jordan,
“You defile me and you defile my seven sons.”

The Jordan in which Christ the deceiver is praised
is turned into a gutter.
The communion bread which Christ the deceiver takes
is made infernal.
The communion wine which Christ the deceiver takes
is turned into a sacrifice.
The turban which Christ the deceiver takes
is made into Jewish priesthood.
The staff which Christ the deceiver takes
is made sickly.

The Mandaean Book of John

The Mandaeans had strange and complex doctrines but still they give an interesting perspective and can provide insights into aspects of Christianity which have largely been forgotten or overlooked by the fact of having been contemporary and prevelent in the greater region.

edit on Kpm930261vAmerica/ChicagoFriday1930 by Kantzveldt because: (no reason given)

edit on Kpm930261vAmerica/ChicagoFriday1930 by Kantzveldt because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 07:19 AM
Earlier in that Mandaean text are these sayings attributed to Jesus, which are indicative of teaching the cult of Nanaya, the Queen of all the world, also the association of the Temple cults of Istar/Nanaya with prostitution, i think these are later texts though, the one in the OP an early Mandaic text.

A woman who from her youth was a widow
grasped the shirt (of a man) and married the world,
which they nurtured, a son as he went yonder.
Her face will not be destroyed by her husband.

A prostitute who becomes a lady
goes up to town and goes down from town
and the crown is not removed from her face.

Jesus and John in Mandaean tradition

It's a bit odd really that these days people will still accept the idea of a King of the World but find the notion of a Queen ridiculous, it was not ever thus and if anything the reverse in former times, in my opinion you shouldn't expect one without the other, it just seems natural.

Nanay in Bactria

edit on Kam930262vAmerica/ChicagoSaturday2030 by Kantzveldt because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 06:24 AM
Here's a very interesting paper mentioning Nanaya in terms of the importance of beer and beds in Sumerian culture, the sacred role of the pub as the place of magical transformation in terms of 'white magic'

Sex, magic and the liminal body

They had it all figured out and going on back then...