It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas Wants to Execute Man Who Killed Home Intruder Who Turned Out to Be SWAT Member

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: TKDRL

In that case, I would hope the officer would be smart enough to identify himself. Since the element of surprise would have gone out the window at that point (no pun intended) I don't see why he wouldn't.

I can't really say what would come to mind first, but home invaders are usually dressed quite differently than SWAT or SRT officers. There's always chance of mistaken identity, but it's still better to at least attempt to ID and possibly prevent a tragedy and/or ruined lives.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: kx12x
but home invaders are usually dressed quite differently than SWAT or SRT officers.

Since when?

Both usually wear black so they can hide in the shadows.......
edit on 19-9-2014 by HandyDandy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: beatbox

No-knock raids should be at the officers' own risk. No penalty for shooting total strangers who don't identify themselves climbing through your window. Entering a dwelling uninvited, especially under cover of darkness, gets you shot. Fact of life. Being a cop does not nullify this fact. Next case.

edit on 19-9-2014 by Urantia1111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: kx12x
So if unknown masked men entering your window in the wee hours of the morning/night yell "POLICE FREEZE!" you take them at their word? Nah, not me. Masked armed men breaking into my home are getting shot. You want to serve a warrant, knock on the door and present it. Period.

Since noknock raids became such a normal occurrence, criminals have started using the same tactics and dressing as simlar as possible, even going as far as wearing flac jackets that say police, to persuade people into dropping their arms.
edit on Fri, 19 Sep 2014 20:56:33 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 10:06 PM
link   

It's usually pretty easy to differentiate between SWAT and your average thug.

Since noknock raids became such a normal occurrence, criminals have started using the same tactics and dressing as simlar as possible, even going as far as wearing flac jackets that say police, to persuade people into dropping their arms.

That, you are right about. Here's an article about that very topic, which is useful to some degree.

You want to serve a warrant, knock on the door and present it. Period.
That would seem to be the logical thing to do, but I don't make the laws.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Good reply, but the info within is BS. It's the whole puppies and sunshine, and only bad bad people will be served with a noknock warrant, that is proven all the time to be untrue.

No knock warrants are reserved for serious crimes where officers have reason to believe that evidence will be destroyed or they will be in danger if they take the time to knock. On a “knock and announce” warrant, police must give “reasonable” time for you to answer the door before kicking it in. What constitutes “reasonable” depends on the circumstances and the court jurisdiction.

Sounds good in theory, but in reality SWAT knocks, announces, and breaks in doors all at the same time. And the whole serious crime only BS has been proven false time and again when cops use SWAT to raid people for pot and end up seizing BS amounts like a few ounces. Back when I used to buy pot, I was buying by the quarter pound, according to those rules they would have been justified to use them tactics. I was no kingpin for sure lol. I wish. Bigtime dealers in my area would be moving like 30 ounces a day on a bad day. A few ounces is not distributable ammounts, even if you break that up into nickle sacks, it's not worth the minute profit to even risk it. Lowtime dealers at least bought at the half pound. And that was only people starting out, that couldn't talk their way into supplies. It's like anything else really, the more bulk you buy, the more money you make.
edit on Fri, 19 Sep 2014 22:31:57 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: beatbox

In Hattiesburg Mississippi, a small collage town /retirement village, the head of the NET was also head of STRIKE team. They would look at the hot lists, dress as strike team, beat down everyone in the house and leave with guns money and weapons. It got so bad Internal affairs got involved and several police were arrested

It culminated at a time when almost a hundred grand in things from the evidence locker were lifted.

m.msnewsnow.com...:H0Cc5Z9c

Police are as police do. Some get away some dont. Ever read Antigone?

edit on 19-9-2014 by Sillyosaurus because: Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
Why is he the criminal. I can't believe decent Texas Grand jury would even indict a person under this circumstance.

He's not...

Most still think this is reality:

While this is in fact far closer to reality:

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:05 PM
link   

There's one thing you should always do in a break in, always identify the potential target before you point a gun at them (much less shoot them). Last thing you want to do is kill a family member or friend, or in this case an officer, because you clearly didn't identify your target.

That being said, I don't know enough about the guy or this case to know if there was any foul play involved or if it was just an honest mistake, so I won't comment on that.

The way in see it, he did identify his target. A stranger coming through the window at 5:30am.

That's all the identification I need. I am not about to stop and ask questions.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:14 PM
link   

There's also the times when they get the wrong house. But there is always going to be mistakes on both ends, it's unavoidable. There's also always risk to the officers when serving warrants. A few years ago an officer was shot and killed while serving a warrant (was a normal do knock warrant) the guy (felon) armed up after the knock and shot as many rounds as he could before saving the last for himself. That's where no-knock warrants come from, attempting to reduce the risk. But, as we see here, they simply create other problems.

As far as warrants for pot go, they're just a waste of time, money and an unnecessary risk for everyone involved. Go after the real criminals, not some dude and his stash.
edit on 19-9-2014 by kx12x because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Almost killed my best friend a few years back. I hopped in the shower after cleaning my rifle (steyr-mannlicher m95 chambered in 8.56r) leaving it out on the bed with a stripper clip loaded next to it. My friend decided it would be a good idea to:
A) Walk into my house unannounced
B) Grab my hunting camo and facemask
C) Grab an airsoft pistol and cover it with electrical tape so I cannot tell what it is
D)Try to ambush me as a joke

Keep in mind all of the crap was IN my room where the rifle was. I stepped out of the shower, turned down my music and turned just in time to see him and hear him say to freeze. I dove, grabbed my rifle, loaded it and shouldered it. I Aimed it at him and yelled "Drop your weapon, I will engage." Needless to say he dropped it and began to cry. It was terrible but he was a dumbass. If I didn't have trigger discipline he would be dead. Hell if he did it now he would be dead because I have a wife and daughter. Im more of the mindset to shoot first, ask questions later.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 07:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: tavi45
Really well written article too. Right amount of outrage while sticking with facts. He had no giant drug stash and was defending himself from unknown intruders.

Do we need any more examples of police not doing their job. This isn't Scarface or the old west.

If he didn't have a drug stash the warrant had no merit. Besides the obvious of "hey let's go in through the window at night", the police are to blame fully for this situation. They charge other people if their crime leads to someone's death, they need to charge themselves for their own actions that lead to someone's death.

The only people who should be held responsible are the people in the police station. Had the roles been reversed and an off duty cop shot someone crawling through his window I have trouble believing he'd be in the same spot right now.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: MrWendal

Pretty sure I didn't say anything about asking questions, so don't put words in my mouth. Go back and read where I said to use a flashlight.

But if you want go shooting blindly in the dark when you hear a bump in the night, more power to you. Hope that works out well in court, we know it is for the guy in the OP, right? Oh, wait...

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   

But if you want go shooting blindly in the dark when you hear a bump in the night, more power to you. Hope that works out well in court, we know it is for the guy in the OP, right? Oh, wait...

If you want to go crawling through windows in the wee hours of morning, more power to you. Hope that works out well when you get shot at, we know it is for the cop in the OP, right? Oh, wait.....

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   
If he don't get acquitted, then it is because Texas is racist as #.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: HandyDandy

You completely failed to see the point of my previous posts. If you want to use the "I'm shooting someone in the dark, I'm not even going to try and look to see who it is, I don't care" mentality, well good luck because that's the only thing you'll be relying on. If it ever comes down to a possible home invasion for me, I'll go about it with some intelligence rather than just blasting away blindly and hoping it's not a family member or police.

Ask any instructor if they would recommend shooting someone without actually seeing who you're shooting at.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   

If he made an honest mistake, then he definitely should be.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Ask any instructor if they would recommend shooting someone without actually seeing who you're shooting at.

Ask any person with common sense if they would recommend crawling through a window in the wee hours of the morning unannounced.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   
He made no mistake. He shot unknown intruders. No mistake about it. At least not on his part.

One thing I find hilarious, is that progressives that were bashing the hell out of zimmerman, are now defending this guy. It's a total disconnect of logic. Now where the hell are all of the conservatives that should be defending this guy? Starting to lose faith in ATS conservatives. Where are you guys?
edit on Sat, 20 Sep 2014 19:10:34 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Many years ago I lived in killeen to be precise I lived on base at Fort Hood but its basicly the same. Back then Killeen was kinda rough. Hell there were two instances where we had to duck and cover by the barracks because of drive bys and that was when the base was closed to the public which makes me think there were quite a few people in uniform leading double lives.

It was after the first Gulf war and you could get all kinds of stuff of the black market around there like grenades. Some arse blew up our laundry room one time.

So all I can say is if Killeen is anything like it was then I sure as hell don't blame anyone for shooting someone coming through the window at 5:30 in the morning. To me anyone dumb enough to even attempt that especially in that town must have a death wish.
edit on 20-9-2014 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join