It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In search of a Linux OS...

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
While I know my computer is not secure, I know the alphabet is way behind the geek world in terms of encryption and web security.

As far as I know, the onion is the most secure web browser available.

It's not the first time you have said here your belief that agencies are somehow lacking in skill on what script kiddies running around the DW are doing. Last time you claimed it was related to polices on being able to smoke weed in those agencies and how those hax0ring the Matrix would never agree to that..is that still your belief now?

Additionally..the browser is only 1 layer of Infosec. Leave the rest open and watch the lulz.

I have this great story of mine from growing up when PBX'sCOCOTS and other things relating to dial-tone were much easier to exploit. This guy I knew who was the voice admin for a company called me up and was all excited how he had his class of service locked down so no one could dial without using the right FAC. This is where the edge is more important than anything on-net gets proven. A few minutes of wardialing found me the DISA number for this company and in a few seconds I was doing all sorts of fun things. So I called him back I explained that it's great you can cover the backdoors but if you leave the front door open you are a novice.
edit on 20-9-2014 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I started with Ubuntu till they went to that terrible sidebar crap that drove me nuts! I cant even think of the name of it for some reason lol I'm sorry. I now, when I use linux, use Ubuntu still, but with Gnome3. Although it's been about a year or so since I have been able to put linux on one of my machines. That's another story lol.

EDIT: You can use (I'm not sure if it is still supported) WUBI and install Ubuntu just like a Windows application. If you don't like it, uninstall it, just like a piece of windows software. But again, I'm not sure if that is still an active project.
edit on 00America/Chicago9112 by wwe9112 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   
My favorite:

PCLinuxOS 2014 KDE - Incredible Distribution

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

What is your problem man. You need to chill out.

The DW was created for information sharing since the WWW has become all about information control.

edit on 21-9-2014 by jrod because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
a reply to: opethPA
What is your problem man. You need to chill out.
The DW was created for information sharing since the WWW has become all about information control.

Chill out from what? For making accurate posts about infosec since you were asking questions on it?

The DW was not created for that but information exchange is a part of that.
edit on 21-9-2014 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 04:47 AM
link   
The onion is not a web browser, and the spooks have plenty of the geeks and ask yourself who created the tor network?

once you realise that its mearly a US military network it suddenly becomes a lot less fun place

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 04:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Maxatoria
ask yourself who created the tor network?

once you realise that its mearly a US military network it suddenly becomes a lot less fun place

Like the whole entire internet? Doesn't make it less secure, private, or anonymous ... especially with it being open source and in civilian hands. The more people that use TOR, the more anonymous and private it is.

You can use TOR through a VPN as well adding another layer.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria

That is an interesting theory, please tell us more.

I was not aware of the US military using tor. Still haven't upgraded/downgraded this machine....hopefully I can find the time and motivation to optimize it to my standards/needs in the near future.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: jrod
TOR Brief History

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Wait, isn't Tor browser slow? I used to use in back in highschool to get on my Facebook during class lol...

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Ta da!

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bybyots
Ta da!

Again, you guys realize you are using yet another system created by the military?
edit on 9/22/2014 by AllSourceIntel because: formatting

edit on 9/22/2014 by AllSourceIntel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Have to second Bybyots' recommendation for Arch, it's a great OS. I go distro hopping a lot, but always end up going back to Arch.

If you want to try Arch without having to go through the hassle of setting everything up only to find out you don't really like it, try ArchBang or Manjaro.
edit on 22-9-2014 by Roxxo because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-9-2014 by Roxxo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: AllSourceIntel

i do as i still call it arpa-net
its just that tor is a network designed to be secretive by the US government so i consider it a lot more dangerous than just talking to your friend out doors etc as there could be a lot of hidden exploits waiting to reveal your address

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   

a reply to: AllSourceIntel

i do as i still call it arpa-net
its just that tor is a network designed to be secretive by the US government so i consider it a lot more dangerous than just talking to your friend out doors etc as there could be a lot of hidden exploits waiting to reveal your address

Tor is Open Source software

Tor is free and open source for Windows, Mac, Linux/Unix, and Android
which you can download its source code for anyone to examine. If it was doing that, it would be known by now.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   
what i mean is that talking generally has a very little volume but when i use a selective method it becomes a lot easier to listen to it especially with Tor as you dont know the owner of the entry and exit nodes

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   

what i mean is that talking generally has a very little volume but when i use a selective method it becomes a lot easier to listen to it especially with Tor as you dont know the owner of the entry and exit nodes

No, you sure do not, and the agencies have been setting up their own nodes. However, the more the general populace uses Tor and set up their own nodes, the more private and anonymous it becomes, as was the purpose originally developed by the Navy. That said, anything do for security or privacy or anonymity is useless if you don't have best practices in how you use and do things which is how every person arrested while using Tor has failed.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join