It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scotland to get more powers - England to be ignored...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 03:33 AM
link   
a reply to: waynos

They could give those Scots who want self rule a bit of the country to rule themselves. Like give them theOuter Herides, or a bit of uninhabited Highlands. Sort of like a US Indian reservation for Scots

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 03:47 AM
link   
a reply to: stumason
Oh shut up Nigel, no one is buying your "with great power comes great responsibility" bull#. Why don't you have the common courtesy to do what empires do already: crumble and fade away into dusty ruins-like your progenitors. How many more centuries do you think your gonna shamble on before your history catches up with you? You've all stepped on so many toes the world over for so damn long; the disingenuous cries of "unity" and "togetherness" from your mouthpieces in the wake of this event are laughable. Your "democratic process" is a rigged construct and this vote is no different.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 04:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: ufoorbhunter

They could give those Scots who want self rule a bit of the country to rule themselves. Like give them theOuter Herides, or a bit of uninhabited Highlands. Sort of like a US Indian reservation for Scots

You can't be serious. You can't be #ing serious. Or are you?

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 04:02 AM
link   
a reply to: SerratedSoul

Well...

That was a pointless ramble about nothing... Who said anything about "with great power come great responsibility"? And quite what the drivel about Empires is about is anyone's guess...

Glad to see adult debate and polite discourse are alive on ATS!

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 04:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Gododdin

It was clearly said in jest - it seems as well as losing the vote, the Yes lot have had a sense of humour lobotomy...

Anyhoo, how about we try to stay OT? You haven't added anything of value to this thread, just more winging and whining.

(post by Gododdin removed for a manners violation)

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 04:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Gododdin

Oh grow up, for Pete's sake.

It's all getting a bit boring now, to be honest.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 04:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gododdin

You can't be serious. You can't be #ing serious. Or are you?

Well there aren't many real Scots left now are there? I thought they'd been cleared out a century ago and more and forced overseas to the frontiers of Empire, USA, Australia, Canada, Ulster etc, their old land being filled with Irish migrants and Londoners looking for a life in the country. For those remaining real Scots let them have a bit of the Highlands where they can practice home rule, give them an island or two
edit on 20-9-2014 by ufoorbhunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:04 AM
link   
While I agree that the West Lothian question is a very important one that does need to be addressed...

I think Cameron's timing on asking it, the very day after the Referendum result when the United Kingdom desperately needed messages of unity and coming together, to try and heal the very severe rifts that this extreme Nationalist movement has caused us, was, to put it mildly, and unbelievably reckless and stupid and moronic thing for him to have done.

The last thing we needed was for there to be a rise in English Nationalism, and Cameron has handed the battlecry of 'English votes for English laws!' to UKIP and the BNP on a plate.

I've long thought that Cameron and the Tories were quietly working with Alex Salmond, trying to push Scotland out of the Union anyway. And now that hasn't worked for them? They've instantly launched on a second front to try and push Scotland out of the Union.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Painterz

That's one way of looking at it I suppose, but on the other hand, it could be seen as a long overdue re-balancing of the whole devolution project which, for a while, has left the English disenfranchised - this isn't a new problem at all, just one that Parliament has tried it's best to ignore while pandering to the Nationalist elements in the other Home Nations, which in my view stokes "English nationalism" more than anything Cameron has proposed.

Also, I am curious why you equate English nationalism (and UKIP) with the BNP?

This is another problem, for a long while even so much as flying St Georges cross outside of a major Football tournament would have you branded a racist, while the Saltire and St Davids cross could be flown with pride. Why is being a proud Englishmen guaranteed to have you lumped in with some brain-dead thug racists, but being a proud Scotsman would have you applauded?

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Lol yeah, I'm sure they'd love that. I wonder if thryd all fit on Rockall? :-D

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: SerratedSoul
a reply to: stumason
Oh shut up Nigel, no one is buying your "with great power comes great responsibility" bull#. Why don't you have the common courtesy to do what empires do already: crumble and fade away into dusty ruins-like your progenitors. How many more centuries do you think your gonna shamble on before your history catches up with you? You've all stepped on so many toes the world over for so damn long; the disingenuous cries of "unity" and "togetherness" from your mouthpieces in the wake of this event are laughable. Your "democratic process" is a rigged construct and this vote is no different.

Ha ha, another muppet with his head stuck in the 1890's

Pontificating idiots are incredibly funny :-D

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join