It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Scientist: World Facing ‘Mini-Ice Age,’ starting early next year

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: charles1952

But if you bothered to read any papers on the topic you would know that it's perfectly legitimate to say that colder winters or increased sea ice are symptoms of global warming... because they ARE. Here is an article that explains it simply.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69
a reply to: BornAgainAlien

LOL

Ok with all the crap going on in Europe over the Ukrainian issue why doesn't this surprise me that the Russians are just now coming out with this...

Could it possibly be to scare the EU into relaxing their stance over Eastern European Pipelines/Oil/Ukraine crises?

Actually, this guy has been warning about a slowdown in solar activity and the possible ramifications for a while. His last paper was published just under a year ago.

Here's another bit from 2012.

We can expect the onset of a deep bicentennial minimum of total solar irradiance (TSI) in approximately 2042±11 and the 19th deep minimum of global temperature in the past 7500 years – in 2055±11. After the maximum of solar cycle 24, from approximately 2014 we can expect the start of deep cooling with a Little Ice Age in 2055±11." --Habibullo I. Abdussamatov, Russian Academy of Science, 1 February 2012

So, no, he's not just saying this because of what's now happening between Russia and Ukraine. He's a solar scientist who has been making this prediction and refining it for a while now.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

Not to mention China is tackling it rather aggressively now. They will be fully renewable before we are and that's just a ridiculously sad scenario for us. The US should be the innovators here, not arguing when the proof is all around us while watching the asses of others nations fade into the distance.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: charles1952

But if you bothered to read any papers on the topic you would know that it's perfectly legitimate to say that colder winters or increased sea ice are symptoms of global warming... because they ARE. Here is an article that explains it simply.

I'll bet that even the volcanic eruption in Iceland at Holuhraun is because of Global Warming. After all, as Al Gore, the Goracle himself, says:

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Yeahhh... no.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   

My guess is, All Gore thinks he`s the planet !

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: BornAgainAlien

If anything is going to happen, I think its likely a global cooling more so then a global warming. And trends, and more scientific finds point to the fact that this planet goes through regular intervals of little ice ages, followed by long periods of fun in the sun, and then to various degrees that cycle repeats itself, and has likely been going on since the time of the dinosaurs.

But hey we will see, and to tell the truth if it does happen that would either really suck, or it just may be what the planet and everybody needs. Though populations would drop, I would think most nations are equipped to survive and even adapt to it even if it was a real huge shift in the norm, and besides even if there is a global worldwide cooling, it will still only effect certain places, and only about half the continent at it worst, it is highly unlikely that everything everywhere will be freezing off. So when and if things start to cool off, expect mass migration of humans from one habitat or part of the world, to other parts more welcoming. Though in climate only.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

Yeahhh... no.

Are you sure?

Here's the complete list of things caused by Global Warming ...

tree growth slowed , trees in trouble , trees less colourful , trees more colourful , trees lush , tropics expansion , tropopause raised , truffle shortage, truffles down , turtles crash , Turbulence in air travel , turtle feminised , turtles lay earlier , UFO sightings , UK coastal impact , UK Katrina , uprooted - 6 million , Vampire bats , Vampire moths , Venice flooded , violin decline , volcanic eruptions , volcanic eruptions redux , Iceland volcano eruption, walrus pups orphaned , walrus stampede , war , war between US and Canada , wars over water , wars sparked , wars threaten billions , wasps , water bills double

Oh, hey! There it is! Volcanic eruptions are between violin decline and orphaned walrus pups. In fact, you would have been safe blaming the Icelandic fissure eruption on Global Warming because I guess Icelandic eruptions HAVE been attributed to it (underlined it).

From NPR & CNN:

Diana Rehm (NPR): We do wonder whether there's human involvement in all of these eruptions, earthquakes, storms -

Elise Labott (senior State Department producer for CNN): - and how much global warming has a role in it. You know we've seen a lot of wacky weather but that's just a microcosm for what's happening around the world and how much climate change is contributing to earthquakes and volcanic ash - it's a really good question.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   
If only the lot of you understood basic science.

Cold air is denser, and heavier, and higher pressure. Warm air is less dense, lighter, and lower pressure. When you create warm areas (low pressure areas), the cold air (high pressure) will naturally move to the low pressure areas much like how the high pressure air inside a balloon wants to escape to the lower pressure of its surroundings. Since cold air is heavier, it sinks down and forces the cold air down on the ground, and warm air up, causing severe weather.

This battle between hot and cold will cause temporary cooling until there is no such thing as cold air, and warm air will win the battle. Global warming.

edit on 20-9-2014 by WeAre0ne because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Yeah, I'm sure. That list is pure BS and at any rate I can see where your problem lies... you think that journalists qualify as scientists, they don't. Let me know when science concurs that global warming causes volcanoes to erupt. Possibly increased water pressure from thermal expansion of water, but I doubt it.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Actually there is evidence that suggests that ice caps on mountains provide weight that keeps volcanoes from erupting. When you melt the ice caps on the mountains, there is not enough weight to hold back the pressure, and the volcano will erupt.

So yes, global warming can cause volcanoes to erupt, provided the only thing keeping those volcanoes from erupting is the weight of the ice caps on top, and they melt.

theweek.com...
edit on 20-9-2014 by WeAre0ne because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeAre0ne
If only the lot of you understood basic science.

Cold air is denser, and heavier, and higher pressure. Warm air is less dense, lighter, and lower pressure. When you create warm areas (low pressure areas), the cold air (high pressure) will naturally move to the low pressure areas much like how the high pressure air inside a balloon wants to escape to the lower pressure of its surroundings. Since cold air is heavier, it sinks down and forces the cold air down on the ground, and warm air up, causing severe weather.

This battle between hot and cold will cause temporary cooling until there is no such thing as cold air, and warm air will win the battle. Global warming.

No offense, but after reading your post, I came to the conclusion you have no room to talk about other's understanding of science.

Do you know about Milankovich cycles? Google and learn a few things.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   

The link says "supposedly" caused. The list is hogwash. Acne? Really? Caused by global warming? What idiot declared that?

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: galadofwarthethird

Actually, the periods of glaciation are much longer than the interglacial periods. Not the other way around.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: bbracken677

I'm sorry but your post is lacking substance.

Why don't you point out my mistakes instead of name dropping some theory in order to sound intelligent.

Yes I do know about the Milankovitch cycles. What do they have to do with my explanation of Warm Fronts and Cold Fronts?

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   
a reply to: WeAre0ne

I understand that science just fine. I live in tornado alley. It's the main mover and shaker in tornado formation.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Simply, your explanation of "basic science" is oversimplistic and incorrect. I have provided tons of links to scientific papers in this thread, as well as other recent threads on the subject of global warming/climate change.
I am a semi-retired geologist and most of my links are research papers and most of my text is related to geological aspects of climate change.

If you wish to put down other people's understanding of science you will have to discuss it at levels that exceed 4th grade science. Frankly, I am not even sure that your explanation of weather even meets that criteria.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Yes I do know about the Milankovitch cycles. What do they have to do with my explanation of Warm Fronts and Cold Fronts?

Nothing really lol.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: bbracken677

The idiot that knows more than one science, which apparently you don't.

Warm weather increases oil production in the skin, and increases acne breakouts. It's a simple fact that some reason you are unaware of.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: bbracken677

The link says "supposedly" caused. The list is hogwash. Acne? Really? Caused by global warming? What idiot declared that?

Look it's just a list of things that people have linked to Global Warming. It isn't a list of things that are scientific. It's intended to show the stupidity of Global Warming. EVERYTHING that goes wrong is sooner or later brought back to Global Warming.

In other words, the list is intended to show how crazy it has gotten. It also shows how corrupt government science grants are. If you want money to study something, you need to link it to climate change.

And, yes, journalists are stupid because they don't understand science, too bad so many people, including plenty of people here trust them so implicitly. I never could figure it out myself, but people do.

PS, I was also continuing to poke fun at Kali with that entire post.

edit on 20-9-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join