It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Militants Planned to Target US Ships With Hijacked Pakistani Frigate

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Al-Qaida militants, who tried to hijack a Pakistan Navy frigate earlier this month, intended to use it to target U.S. Navy vessels on anti-terrorism patrol in the northwestern Indian Ocean, The Wall Street Journal reported on Wednesday, citing Pakistani security officials.

The Sept. 6 raid, which was foiled after a firefight and a suicide bombing, was carried out in part by Pakistan Navy personnel who had been recruited by al-Qaida, the report said, adding it raised fears about terrorist infiltration of the nuclear-armed nation's military forces.

said its timing may have been set to mark the start of the affiliate or to coincide roughly with the anniversary of the Sept 11, 2001, attacks.

Mili tants Planned to Target US Ships With Hijacked Pakistani Frigate

News of the attempted seizure of the frigate, PNS Zulfiqar, the report said was initially kept from the media, and the details of the incident are only beginning to emerge.

well yeah...think of the kind of panic that would ensue when people learned that Al-Qaida is trying to get their hands on a fully operational war ship!

In the attempted seizure of PNS Zulfiqar, "the rogue officers were in uniform and had their service cards displayed. They simply walked on board," one Pakistani security official said.

"It appears the officers on board were to be joined by other militants who were to arrive by boat from the sea and then stow away on board," the Pakistani security official said.

"The plan was to get close to the U.S. ships on the high seas, and then turn the shipboard weapon systems on the Americans."

The frigate's weaponry includes an anti-ship missile system with a range of up to 300 kilometres.

Can you all say 'Day-am'? sure I knew you could...

the plan was foiled by a gunner on watch... when the bad guys approached the docked ship in an inflatable boat the gunner knew something was wrong. the AK47 is not standard issue so he fireds a warning shot... that's when all hell broke lose...

At the sound of the firing, Marines and naval commandos rushed to the ship and were engaged by the renegade officers awaiting the militants on the inflatable boat, the report said.

While those on board the ship continued to fight it out for a few hours, the ones in the inflatable boat had no chance, security officials said.

The gunner ripped apart the boat with his Gatling antiaircraft gun, killing all six in the boat.

Among those killed on the inflatable boat was former Pakistan Navy Lt. Owais Jakhrani. He had been recently dismissed for harboring extremist views. He was the son of a serving Karachi Police Superintendent, and Pakistani intelligence. The Pakistani Navy is being very closed mouthed about the who's and why's
edit on 19-9-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Good thing terrorists are not a threat to the United states or that could have gotten ugly.
edit on 19-9-2014 by Hoosierdaddy71 because: stupid spelling error....sorry

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Sorry, I can't help but laugh at this.

Terrorists roll-up in a dingy and try to take a fully operational navel vessel?

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
Good thing terrorists are not a threat the the United states or that could have gotten ugly.

things may be worse than you think...

Still, there have been several attacks on military facilities and personnel in Pakistan carried out with the help of serving and retired military, it was pointed out

Pakistan is one of those few countries that have 'Nukes'!
Taliban, al-Qaida, has gotten their hooks into naval officials and god knows who else....

this single story may be about a failed attempt on a war ship... but the who were the folks trying to take control of said ship... Now that's bad news... very worrisome

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   
This would make an intense movie.

Hats off to the gunner on that ship for noticing something was up. I can't even begin to imagine trying to fight people dressed just like you on your own ship - who is the enemy? I'm glad they got it all sorted out.

Although, they have no way of knowing they got EVERYONE. Someone could have just as easily switched sides mid-fight to get on the "winning team", and then make a later escape - only to regroup and try again.

We need to figure out who is recruiting all of these officers.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Whomever is running this group is an idiot. It seems he went to the watch action movie school of planning. Special Operations, and this is that type of operation, should always be a simple as possible. Trying to steal a waship is dumb. Thinking that the Paki Navy/Airforce is going to just let you sail away is dumb. And even if you managed all that thinking the Pakis would forget to let everybody know that this particular warship was now being controled by terrorists is dumb. As long as these guys are being lead by idiots we should be ok.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
The Wall Street Journal? meh I consider it a propaganda agency.

If these "terrorists" were former Navy men, then they would surely know that the second they turned their weapons system on, that they would be decimated? I just don't believe this crap. It's just more propaganda to "scare Americans" into giving free reign to the American gov..

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: sheepslayer247
Sorry, I can't help but laugh at this.

Terrorists roll-up in a dingy and try to take a fully operational navel vessel?

It would have been...[SNIP]

Among those killed on the inflatable boat was former Pakistan Navy Lt. Owais Jakhrani.

Officials said he had been recently dismissed for harbouring extremist views.

He was the son of a serving Karachi Police Superintendent, and Pakistani intelligence officials believe he played the key role in recruiting naval personnel to al-Qaida.

this raid was conducted by regular Pakistani naval officers...

edit on 9/19/2014 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: HardCorps

1 ship? Against the US navy? Plus the British and French Navy too who would have been on top of this too?

I mean really? Al Qaeda really like to dream big don't they?

Your talking about a barely trained skeleton screw trying to operate a ship they likely wont be familiar with.

1 US or allied war plane would turn it into a burning hulk and no way its going to win a ship to ship engagement.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

In the attempted seizure of PNS Zulfiqar, "the rogue officers were in uniform and had their service cards displayed. They simply walked on board," one Pakistani security official said.

skeleton crew yes but these guys, at least some of them, were trained naval officers.
Pakistan Navy Lt. Owais Jakhrani was certainly one knew his way around this Frigate.

And I doubt they were looking for a protracted fight. I doubt they planed to live for long... The frigate's weaponry includes an anti-ship missiles. A shoot and forget weapon system. My guess they hoped to target and fire as many of those as they could before they themselves were blown out of the water.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: HardCorps

skeleton screw yes but these guys, at least some of them, were trained naval officers.
Pakistan Navy Lt. Owais Jakhrani was certainly knew his way around this Frigate.

And I doubt they were looking for a protracted fight. I doubt they planed to live for long... The frigate's weaponry includes an anti-ship missiles. A shoot and forget weapon system. My guess they hoped to target and fire as many of those as they could before they themselves were blown out of the water.

Still dosnt matter if they were former navy unless they had served on that ship beforehand. Each ships different and would take some getting used too.

Soon as the ship was reported seized and it would have been sunk. At WORST a missile may have hit a allied ship or two but damage likely would have been light and that only if they were not alert.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I think their first encounter with a US Arleigh Burke class destroyer would be their last battle - if a sub didn't get them first.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   

true... but if you read the report it sounds like the bad guys were planning to come aboard, let the regular crew sail out to join the task force then do ---whatever--- take over the bridge/ops/whatever.

Not saying it was a good plan... all but 4 of these guys was killed.
Cudo's to the watch gunner... those guys should have known standard issue for the PK Army/Navy is the Heckler & Koch G3

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
I think their first encounter with a US Arleigh Burke class destroyer would be their last battle - if a sub didn't get them first.

Pffft It wouldn't even get that far. US or UK would have scrambled a jet from one of there bases in the area and sunk it
and even then Id put my money on India sinking it first with one of there jets.

would have been at the bottom of the Indian ocean before you could say Allah Ackbar.
edit on 19-9-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   

That wouldn't be any fun.

There hasn't been any naval ship to ship action in quite a while.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   

That wouldn't be any fun.

There hasn't been any naval ship to ship action in quite a while.

1982 Falklands is probably the last war that involved navies.

Even then sinking ships with aircraft tended to be more easy.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Seem much of the navy has become an anti-aircraft, anti-missile and missile launch platform.

edit on 9/19/2014 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Seem much of the navy has become an anti-aircraft, anti-missile and missile launch platform.

I may be corrected but Submarine played a big role too in the Falklands and a British Sub managed to sink a Cruiser.

Either way it seems surface ships sink easily.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Big guns have been replaced by missiles. That is a statement in itself.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Big guns have been replaced by missiles. That is a statement in itself.

This is the 21 first century... everything changes...
making the modern day battle field a very dangerous place indeed

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join