It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US civilian law enforcement gone rogue. How to reverse course.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   
US Civilian Law enforcement has gone rogue. It's gotten to the point now where they are out in the open and don't really care what the citizens think. DA's and judges are backing their illegitimate, superior rights.

- Rising incidence of death, injury, kidnapping and harassment of innocent citizens.
- Elevation of LEO rights as a "protected class" while subordination the rights and safety of citizens. the Bill of Rights is a speed bump for a cruiser to run over at will.
- Absolute corruption of evidence handling. They need DA's to be corrupt to allow them to succeed with many prosecutions.
- Inverted incentives: paid vacations for killing people and criminal activity.
- No accountability for fines and judgments. No requirements for incident reporting.

Save the "good cop" garbage. 99% of Germans were "good" in the 1930-40's too. This is a tool of the authoritarians to dilute accountability and revise the past. Don't fall for it. It's the leaders of police unions and forces that guide the ship and everyone else rows. A true "good cop" is a whistle-blower --that's it.

Over the past seven years, taxpayers in Minneapolis have paid out over $20 million dollars to settle cases stemming from police brutality. In just 2011, $4.7 million taxpayer dollars went to cover the costs of officer misconduct. Many other cities across the US have faced similar losses with seemingly no recourse.

What can be done to avoid all out war with these criminals? Adopt non-violent tactics that make a difference, that's how.

Force them all to carry malpractice insurance. They would all put on cameras after that, wouldn't they?

Restoring accountability through financial incentives

With this approach, the "good" LEO's can get a bigger paycheck while the true criminals get tagged with higher insurance rates that follow them for a long time and can't be dodged by bouncing from force to force. Hopefully the malfeasants can't afford a nice car and they don't reproduce. IMO, judgement should come directly from the pensions. One step at a time though.

When you discover initiatives like this in your area, please do what you can to support them.
Good cops will appreciated it. --snort. Not really, but do it anyway.
edit on 19-9-2014 by InverseLookingGlass because: spelling

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   
As much as I dislike your blanket insults against law enforcement this is an interesting idea.

What do you think the initial monthly cost of a policy would be?

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I think it's always a mistake to include everyone in what is apparently not a widespread occurrence.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: TorqueyThePig
As much as I dislike your blanket insults against law enforcement this is an interesting idea.

What do you think the initial monthly cost of a policy would be?

Tough to say. I'm not an actuary. I guess it would be damn expensive. I pay $50 a month for 1 $million umbrella. But I'm a "good guy". I think non-violence has a chance to work. A chance.

There would have to be immediate changes to the LEO superior rights. I know premiums would be less if cameras were on the cruiser, body and gun barrel.

Of course LEO's are masters of "the game" they would just confiscate more assets to cover expenses. A problem of this magnitude needs multiple fronts. It needs to be a non-violent cross fire, --if you will.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

That deserves a full ROLMFAO. Thanks.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: InverseLookingGlass

I don't think $50 a month is unreasonable.

That being said it would take my monthly net income down from $2000 a month to around $1950. I already hate the lack of paycheck I receive....

You said something about rewarding "good" police officers financially. What did you mean by this?

You know most can tell you are highly intelligent. I would be more prone to listen to your suggestions and take them more serioulsy if you dialed back on the blanket bashing and hate.

I find myself skipping over your posts in threads like these because I generally assume they are going to be filled with vitriol. That may be a fault of my own but I am just being honest.

Just my opinion of course.

edit on 19-9-2014 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting
I think it's always a mistake to include everyone in what is apparently not a widespread occurrence.

Guess it depends on someone's definition of "widespread".

Not a week goes by where a cop doesnt violently arrest, attack or kill someone in the US.

If some other group in the US acted like cops (lets say Moslems for example), people would be marching in every city demanding that they be rounded up and deported.

edit on 19-9-2014 by gladtobehere because: wording

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Go to youtube and type in Bad cop.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I would like to see the OP's original topic discussed in this thread. It is very intersting.

I really don't want this to turn into a blanket police bash fest.

This being ATS I doubt it will happen though...

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Rogue or Rouge? theres a lot of difference unless its the fact the police are now wearing some lippy while doing their job of shooting anyone and everyone

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   
For police to have to carry personal liability insurance, or malpractice insurance, they would then be expected to be open to civil law suits personally for conduct on the job?

And torquey, you seem like a good guy, I would love to see your thoughts on the direction law enforcement is taking these days, positive or negative. Wether action needs taking to scale down militarization, increase accountability etc.

If not in this thread, so as not to disrupt it, you should start a thread on it. I would hope people would be respectful to you, as you have earned respect on this forum as far as I'm concerned.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: TorqueyThePig
I would like to see the OP's original topic discussed in this thread. It is very intersting.

I really don't want this to turn into a blanket police bash fest.

This being ATS I doubt it will happen though...

One thing would be equal punishment for violating the law, versus hiding behind the thin blue line would be a start don't you?

Rarely do we see even an "Involuntary Manslaughter" charge be brought up against a LEO for recklessly murdering someone in the line of duty.

I think of how the Justice system treats LEO's just as it does sports/entertainment celebrities. In their case the scales of justice are tipped in their favor due to their celebrity status. In the case of how LEO's are treated by the justice system, the scales of justice are tipped in their favor as "enforcers" to protect not the people, but to earn revenue for the governments.

The justice system just might be more of the problem than the actions of the rogue LEO's.

How can there be a justice system based on equality, (isn't that what politicians preach from their soap boxes? EQUALITY?) when the court system seems to favor the "Cheerleaders and Football Players"? Just kind of showing the comparison how things really don't change even from high school.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I think body cams/badge cams/dash cams and mikes would take care of a the vast majority of it. EVERY cop on the street should have to wear at least one. Of course, they would have to be tamper-evident and it would be considered an admission of guilt if tampering took place.

There should be records of everything. If a cop sees someone "acting suspiciously" they should have to back that up with their cameras to insure they're not just harassing people. They need to be held accountable - and NOT by the police department, who are known to cover for their own.

There really has to be an overhaul of attitude in the PD. Cops are arresting people because the cops don't feel they're "respected"... They trump up some charge when they don't like someone. They seem to have an attitude of power that has gone FAR beyond their initial SERVICE to the community. They don't "protect and serve". That's a joke. They're looking for potential troublemakers to start a fight with.

Someone needs to hold them accountable, as they're clearly not doing it themselves.

Just to add that I KNOW there are good cops. We have some here in my town, as well as the other kind. We're not talking about good cops here. We're talking about the bad ones.
edit on 9/19/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Our military when they go into conflict overseas have their hands tied by "rules of engagement" can't fire till fired upon.

Our cops at home seem to be trained to empty their magazines the second they feel threatened.

We need to think about changing our training methods cause something seems off there.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: TorqueyThePig

I find myself skipping over your posts in threads like these because I generally assume they are going to be filled with vitriol. That may be a fault of my own but I am just being honest.

You might be mistaking weaponized truth as vitriol. That truth exists, whether you read it or not. The truth will be duly reckoned.

The difference is you can kill, injure, harass and oppress me and brag about your paid vacation on Facebook, I can only hide, obey and beg for your benevolence like a good subject. We each have role to play, I guess.
edit on 19-9-2014 by InverseLookingGlass because: spelling again

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Maxatoria
Rogue or Rouge? theres a lot of difference unless its the fact the police are now wearing some lippy while doing their job of shooting anyone and everyone

What a visual. Thanks on the spelling help.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   
1. Mandatory body cameras for all officers.
2. Stricter punishment for officers that are found guilty of intentionally committing a crime.
3. The citizens to realize that when an officer is sentenced for committing a crime it is the judicial system that determines the punishment, not the executive system.
4. Elimination of no knock warrants.
5. The vast majority of warrants served at private residences should be eliminated (only reserved for most extreme incidents).
6. Addition of ciitizen oversight.
7. Legalization of a certain plant.
8. Elimination of any traffic offense that does not place the safety of others in jeopardy.
9. Better pay for officers. (this is to attract and retain quality candidates)
10. The citizens to realize that they are just as responsible for keeping a positive relationship between the police as the police are towards the citizens.
11. More and higher quality counseling services available to officers. It is not an easy job and it can mentally break the most stable of people.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Please allow me to interject here...

While I am not a sworn LEO in the US, my job has allowed me to build relationships with many local officers in a non threatening environment, even while many of them were "on-duty".

And, being the kind of person that I am, once I felt friendships begin to develop, I would find myself, asking questions that I normally wouldn't, regarding the job, and the general mentality towards it. Both from the LEO's perspective, as well as that of the average citizen, which also was a demographic that I developed many relationships of varying degree, out of. These relationships, coupled with the responses to my queries, gave me a unique perspective into the mindsets and interactions between the two! Which, in turn has allowed me to see this issue really from both sides of the argument.

I, too, am highly concerned over the current state of affairs as put forth in this thread. I do believe that many departments are constantly pushing the boundaries of what is authorized by law, and what will pass, as an action that tests the limits of them.

As far as I know, ALL LEO agencies have some form of ranking officer or attorney that they can call upon, when in doubt about a particular Statute or possible charge which may warrant an arrest! And, AFAIK, a vast majority either utilize this option, or are well-versed enough in the law, to know what they can and can't do.

But, here is a scenario, that I feel many of these videos, might possibly be actually portraying.

I live in a fairly small town. Pop. 6,000 +/-... Most of the cops in these parts, that have ANY time on the job, are quite aware of who the trouble makers are, in town. They know what they drive. They know where they live and who they hang out with. They could probably tell you, with a high degree of accuracy, where a given subject is and what he/she is likely doing, based on the time of day and the day of the week!

And, many of the regular part-time residents of the local lock-up, have been in the system for awhile. And, have nothing better to do than talk, when doing a stint in county. They generally take one of two roads. Either they decide that they are done with their current lifestyle, and plan to make a change when they are released, OR...they take the opportunity to learn from other criminals, who may have more knowledge than they, about the ins-and-outs of the system!

It is the latter that tends to be a thorn in the side of a community and Law Enforcement, in general! They get smarter. They learn enough about the law and their "rights" that they can increase not only the time that they can get away with certain activities, but the level of the infractions they are committing, also tend to escalate. This can lead to a stalemate, so to speak, with local LE.

So...Put yourself in the cop's shoes...(flat feet not required)

If you have knowledge of a bad person. You KNOW what he's been up to. But, you haven't been able to secure the evidence to take him down for good... And, you see him during the normal course of a shift... Smirking with his arrogance and a general cockiness in his demeanor...I am not saying it's right... But, I understand!
edit on 9/19/2014 by GoOfYFoOt because: spelling/text

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: gladtobehere

Guess it depends on someone's definition of "widespread".

Not a week goes by where a cop doesnt violently arrest, attack or kill someone in the US.

If some other group in the US acted like cops (lets say Moslems for example), people would be marching in every city demanding that they be rounded up and deported.

This mindset absolutely sickens me. Have you noticed we don't really get news from the media anymore? Entertainment, that's what we get.

Where are the stories of cops feeding hungry detainees out of their own underpaid pockets? Where are the stories of them going into crack houses to save injured or neglected children? They do every day. Every Day.

Buddy, I have to tell you. You don't know what the hell you are talking about. You are buying what the media is selling you. Although I'm not LE, I've had jobs where I've had to work with them for years at a time. I know what they do. It's unreal some of the things they do. Good things. Helpful things. Saving gang members from other gang members. Going into homes where there are drug crazed killers to prevent a wife or husband from being abused. A grandmother.

You have been sucked into the media's current "lets show a vid of every bad thing a bad cop has ever done." They are an easy target right now because of Ferguson, Missouri.

Do you also believe every NFL player beats his wife? Watch the news some more with your undiscerning mind, and you will shortly. It's what they're selling right now.

new topics

top topics

join