It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alex Salmond resigns as SNP leader

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   
News just breaking that Alex Salmond is to step down as leader of the SNP and First Minister of Scotland in November , it had been rumored earlier today but in his press conference happening now he has just confirmed his decision.

Alex Salmond is to step down as first minister of Scotland after voters decisively rejected independence. He will also resign as leader of the Scottish National Party (SNP) after the "No" side won Thursday's referendum by 2,001,926 to 1,617,989 for "Yes".

Mr Salmond also said there were a "number of eminently qualified and very suitable candidates for leader", although the current deputy first minister Nicola Sturgeon, also deputy SNP leader, would be seen as a clear frontrunner.
www.bbc.co.uk...

edit on 19-9-2014 by gortex because: edit to add

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
News just broken that Alex Salmond is to step down as leader in November , it had been rumored but in a press conference happening now he has just confirmed his decision.

heard rumblings earlier this was coming .. what happened to accepting and working with for a better future?

much more respect to be gained from driving for changes from the inside

Q

link   

News just broken that Alex Salmond is to step down as leader in November , it had been rumored but in a press conference happening now he has just confirmed his decision.

That's what happens when used car salesmen don't make a sale.

link   

If he had done that two years ago, Scotland might have voted yes.

The problem was never with independence, it was with Salmond's piss-poor concept of leadership.

Alex Salmond was the best weapon in the arsenal of the Better Together campaign.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Good riddance, that guy was just full of himself, he would have probably destroyed Scotland given the chance....thankfully they wont have to find out.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: woogleuk
Good riddance, that guy was just full of himself, he would have probably destroyed Scotland given the chance....thankfully they wont have to find out.

I was indifferent towards him at first but watching him on the campaign trail in the last two weeks I started to like him less and less.

just a personal opinion

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Thank the good lord....

At least Scotland will now be in the hands of someone who is at least competent... I hope..

It was said all Salmond had in his favour was his "charisma" - while I don't like him much, he does have a certain charm I suppose - but he never "did policy", which I think was the undoing of the "Yes" campaign. Lots of wishful idea's, yet very little substance.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Sore loser. I'm gonna take my ball and go home.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: woogleuk

Exactly.

He has very pie in the sky dreams for Scotland.

Just on currency alone Scotland was screwed.

Scotland had two choices for currency:
Euro

or

A new Scottish Currency

Both would have screwed over the Scottish economy.

edit on 19-9-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: stumason

At least Scotland will now be in the hands of someone who is at least competent... I hope..

Be careful what you wish for.

Nicola Sturgeon could replace him.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Oh yeah, Mrs Nesbit herself....

I can actually see the SNP being booted out come the next election in Scotland - they haven't done that good a job running the place (even though they blame everything on "Westminster") and now their flagship policy has gone down faster than the Titanic, what else have they got?

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I voted no

But i will be sad to see him go in a way, I don't particularly like the man, I have seen him first hand almost bully his opposition with his passion for politics.

Yet nobody in Scotland can really deny that the SNP lead by Salmond has been good for Scotland, they really do fight for the best interests of Scotland and not just tow the party line of the Westminster parliament.

I might be a no voter, I might not like Alex Salmond, but I do have the utmost respect that man for the good he and his party have done for Scotland and the passion he has for his politics.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Part of me disappointed they voted no.

I would have love to have seen the ATS threads in 5 years time from the Scots crying as there new German overlords in Brussels rip Scotland apart.

Or if they had not joined the EU watched Scotland stagnate and descend into the 3rd world as they would be stuck with a valueless made up currency and no one to export goods too.

But then im a douche bag.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

The lack of respect to both Alex Salmond and the people of Scotland shown here is disgusting. All but one poster should be ashamed of themselves.

edit on 19-9-2014 by helldiver because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: helldiver

The lack of respect to both Alex Salmond and the people of Scotland shown here is disgusting. All but one poster should be ashamed of themselves.

Its realistic.

Scotland would have sunk within 10 years on a yes vote.

You would have just traded Westminster for a bunch of German bureaucrats in Brussels or worse not joined the EU and been left to flander in a cold and ugly world.

Free university and free prescription ect would have been cut within 5 years due to the huge economic hit.

Pride and patriotism dont pay the bills.

I can see no way it would have worked to the Scottish people benefit.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: helldiver

Lack of respect and lack of critical thinking seems to be par for the course on ATS recently
***shrugs***

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   

I have a lot of respect for the people of Scotland and I wish them well in whatever direction the universe takes us.

Nothing I say will ever suitably articulate the depths and levels of contempt I feel for Salmond, however.

So you're 50% right.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: stumason
Thank the good lord....

Name his worthy predecessor...Any Politician in the UK...Name them.?

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: EvillerBob

I have a lot of respect for the people of Scotland and I wish them well in whatever direction the universe takes us.

Nothing I say will ever suitably articulate the depths and levels of contempt I feel for Salmond, however.

So you're 50% right.

And what did Alex do to you that drives you to the levels of the contempt you feel about our First Minister Alex Salmond. ?

Most People on this thread wouldn't know a decent human being if they jumped up and bit them on the arse. Shame on you.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

He isn't "First Minister" anymore...

he's just Alec, now....

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join