It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Crucial Election Season for Legalizing Marijuana and Ending the Drug War

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

I'm not a huge supporter of harder drugs being legalized or decriminalized. I also don't think the paranoia surrounding harder drugs helps. We have drugs that are criminal like Ibogain that cures addiction for up to a year, but are illegal because they cause a psychedelic trip.

Countries that have legalized everything appear to have less problems than we do.

I think more research is needed but based on current evidence we could add a whole lotta tax dollars to the pot for research and education. I think it would benefit society to legalize, and move us away from a police state.

If we release all the inmates who are imprisoned for possession, we would free up plenty of beds for the white collar criminals that currently buy there way out of prison.
edit on 19-9-2014 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

What do you mean add problems? You make it sound like no one is using the drugs even though they are illegal. Last I checked drug use is higher than ever despite legality. So there is no addition of problems, just reclassifying the people who use the substances from criminal lowlife to addict in need of help.

Wouldn't the day be nice when, instead of throwing these people away and looking down on them (forcing them to hide their habits and not seek help when they need it), we instead reach a hand out and help them with their problems? What a concept, but apparently, people believe throwing someone in a hole for years of their lives (thereby destroying any prospect to turn their lives around since they've closed the door on many opportunities for future employment) for putting a substance in their body is a real solution to anything...
edit on 19-9-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: HandyDandy

originally posted by: crazyewok
And under a doctor supervision im 100% fine with that.

Like Michael Jackson?

# happens and doctors make mistakes.

Doesnt mean you should ban drugs for medical use.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

It all points back to the money I am afraid.

The police organizations get all kinds of federal kick backs for drugs bust to help them with drug enforcement. In my home state of Florida the Prison Industry is indeed a thriving industry largely because of the drug laws. Those high up in Law Enforcement know this and are generally too smart to say too much. They have also have had great success on the psychological side in condition their troops to believe that drug users are on a lower moral ground than themselves, thus dehumanizing them which makes it easier for them to take down their fellow man often over something so simple living and breathing plant.

And then there are the spy games....

The major problem for me, this is my life they want to destroy. To them they have been conditioned to believe it is just a game.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: crazyewok

Policy Impact: Prescription Painkiller Overdoses

These are not isolated events. Drug overdose death rates in the United States have more than tripled since 1990 and have never been higher. In 2008, more than 36,000 people died from drug overdoses, and most of these deaths were caused by prescription drugs.4

Prescription Drug Overdose in the United States: Fact Sheet

What doctor supervision would you be referring to?

And that would be a hell of a lot bloodly higher if there was no control what so ever.

Yes doctors screw up.

But they are going to screw up a lot less than your average dumb arse citizen.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

No, I wouldn't put up with a child being driven to school by a crackhead bus driver.

I don't think anyone would. However, would it really be anyworse for a drunk or pain killer patient to be the driver than a heavy drug user?

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
good enough for them, its good enough for us.

CNN

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

What people do in their homes is their businesses but I will bet the farm that we will see more dui's all over this country related to more legilized drug use.

Like I said it was bad before but it will get much worse.

I like my MMJ but I hate people who drive under the influence and we will see an increase.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   

So why is it government's responsibility to make sure they don't? Can't we all be adults and make our own decisions? Not to mention, what good does putting the person in jail do?

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42
I don't think anyone would.

Good

However

I wouldnt want ANY of them to.

Now.

Explain to me in plain English how this would decrease the number of fatal accidents etc by legalizing heavier narcotics?

edit on 19-9-2014 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
a reply to: HandyDandy

We already have DWI laws...

Let's not forget is okay to drive while under the influence of a plethora of Dr. Prescribed narcotics, anti-depressant, and other possible impairment drugs.

To make the jump from legalizing a plant to crack heads bus drivers demonstrates the logic fallacies associated with those trying to keep it illegal.

Legalization is around the corner. The DEA is freaking out because most of their initial intel they gather starts from investigating users of that plant.

Not really. If you are involved in an accident and they drug test you and find you were on a prescription that warns against using machinery or driving -- you can still get a DWI or DUI. A drug is a drug, even if legally prescribed.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   

So how about all those people driving around on prescription pain killers? Studies are showing that people on marijuana tend to drive safer since they know they are high. So people high and driving may not even be an issue, or at least a serious one (like alcohol).

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Are you aware of Colorado's traffic stats since they ended prohibition?

I do not have time to dig for a link, look it up. You might be surprised.

edit on 19-9-2014 by jrod because: at

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Cali did have a vote to legalize it years ago but it didn't get a majority of vote. It was close, if I remember right, almost 50/50.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   

So how about all those people driving around on prescription pain killers? Studies are showing that people on marijuana tend to drive safer since they know they are high. So people high and driving may not even be an issue, or at least a serious one (like alcohol).

Are you serious? Stoners stop at green lights.

Like I said what people do in their own homes is their businessbut once you get in a auto then sorry go directly to jail.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   

So why is it government's responsibility to make sure they don't? Can't we all be adults and make our own decisions? Not to mention, what good does putting the person in jail do?

I agree jailing a user is pointless.

Id only go after the dealers.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   

# happens and doctors make mistakes.

Doesnt mean you should ban drugs for medical use.

Crap happens and people make mistakes.

Doesn't mean you should ban drugs for any use.

Legalizing does NOT mean legitimizing.
edit on 19-9-2014 by HandyDandy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   

And that would be a hell of a lot bloodly higher if there was no control what so ever.

Exactly. Like there is now on harder drugs......

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   

That statement is not true at all. No logic or facts behind it, pure malarkey.

This is something that is less dangerous than playing on a 'smart' phone while driving. This is the major epidemic on the road.

When you write stoners stop a green lights, no rational person will take you seriously

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: proob4
Good thread. F&S I really hope for the day of full legalization and decriminalization across the entire USA.
It's been a long time coming, there are better things law enforcement can concentrate on.
I was hoping for full legalization and decriminalization to be on the Michigan ballot this election.

Full out legalization for Michigan seems to be nowhere in sight. Legislation is sitting in our senate to re-establish "provisioning centers", but that's been sitting around for a while with no progress that I can find.

link

Meanwhile, under the current laws, many caregivers have given up because they can't get rid of overages to support the costs associated with growing. Patients will suffer.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join