It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New poll shows 1 in 4 Americans Open to Secession

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: AllSourceIntel
a reply to: grandmakdw
I agree in whole. The question(s) then would become, do citizens keep their American citizenship if they choose where U.S. offers immediate citizenship, or is it citizenship essentially null and void? ... and you know what that could mean, but that topic is not appropriate in this thread.

If any State were to secede Hawaii has the best case hands down.

Hawaii has the best chance of being let go for sure.

Citizenship? I'm not sure how that would be handled. But US citizenship isn't the desirable prize it once was. Actually I see it as problematic when traveling abroad now.

Perhaps the people would be given an opportunity to choose and then move if they choose not to become TX or HI citizens. It is a good question, there would be lots of questions like that a state who secedes would have to work out.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: AllSourceIntel

I believe this subject, A convention of the States, requires it's own thread....

I'd be really interested in the responses/ideas it invokes.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx
let the red states go, they're the ones sucking out all the federal tax dollars from the blue states. they are also the ones that complain the loudest about taxes, all the while getting the biggest share. screw them...they're the ones that are still pissed off about losing the civil war...now they can have the chance to bring back slavery, outlaw abortions and women's rights, deport anyone that isn't white or a slave, and form a Christian nation run by the bible.

It seems every state is red outside of the major metropolitan areas. One should ask why? Is it for some reason that the big cities have the brightest most ambitious or do the big cities have the most Government, unemployed, subsidized and unionized workers?

If blue is you color then go have fun with that.....

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

I believe this subject, A convention of the States, requires it's own thread....

This really isn't about a convention of the States, it is about secession from the USA by individual states. But go ahead and start a thread about a convention it might be interesting.

However, I don't see the federal government allowing the noose they have put on freedom to do business without strangulating regulations,
freedom to have alternative opinions without subtle or not so subtle persecution (IRS)
or privacy (NSA, etc)
or thought ( harmless words or phrases people use in private causing them to be publicly humiliated and jobs lost and politicians coming out demanding job loss or punishment for thought "crimes" - this is perhaps the most insidious of all, I actually foresee the federal government making certain "words" and by extension thoughts illegal)
to be loosened.

This will only get worse and the way out from under is only secession.

Any other form of trying to drastically change the path of the current government will lead to massive bloodshed, because the federal government will not allow it and fight dirty to maintain power, which is not good in my opinion.

edit on 9Mon, 22 Sep 2014 09:57:56 -0500am92209amk221 by grandmakdw because: clarity

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Exactly! I agree with you. That's why I suggested another thread be started re: a convention of states.

A State seceding from the Union starts the potential for a slippery slop where more and more states ponder that option.

It COULD start the movement to complete dissolving of the union down the road.

Seceding or outright dissolving-upfront or farther down the road- decreases the chances or the degree of 'bloodshed' IMO.

A weak analogy would be a 'child' leaving home for the first time. Ready to tackle life and livingness on their own. Sure, it's tougher and less affluent. It IS a requirement for growth.

That's one of many reasons why I supported the Scottish effort to full independence.

Citizenship, debt, defense...all are the minutia that are part of the 'leaving home'....

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

While it is a good idea, the topic has had its own thread(s) several times on ATS already, I am not sure if I would want to resurrect the issue again in an entirely new thread. Here are the ones that I found for your enjoyment to peruse through:
Georgia Becomes First State in History to Pass the Convention of States Application
A Constitutional Convention is forming...
Did Michigan just trigger 'constitutional convention'? Bid gains steam
Convention of States=Trashing of the Constitution. 25 states call for constitutional convention
Michigan became the 34th state to demand a “Constitutional Convention”- Reached 2/3 Threshold!
Tea Party Patriots cofounder Mark Meckler praises democrats for joining Article V Convention bloc
edit on 9/22/2014 by AllSourceIntel because: url fix

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

Ok, I see what you now mean by a convention of the states.

You are saying a convention of the states to formalize rules for peaceful secession from the Union.

That would be a very interesting topic.

I think the media would crucify the people who try it as they did the Tea Party, because the mainstream media is the propaganda arm of the Federal Government. The Federal Government would do everything, including sneaky and scarey tactics to try and stop it.

An Addition edit: Thanks AllSource for pointing out the other thread.
edit on 10Mon, 22 Sep 2014 10:23:02 -0500am92209amk221 by grandmakdw because: thanks

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   

If you were to poll the state of Texas i bet the number would be seriously higher, like around 40%. They only thing keeping us in check is the fact that over the last 4-5 years thousands, and thousands of people trying to escape California, New Orleans, and the East Coast have immigrated to Texas. Also trying to change the laws here to match where they ran away from, which is freaking irritating. Most true Texans who grew up here are angry about our Federal Government over reaching, the militarized police, the Politically Correct Universe being shoved down our throat, and other things. Especially when it feels as if we have no voice, because DC just ignores us, or the President just does an Executive Order like he's the Pope of America.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Royal76

You are spot on!

When I lived there, first 30 years ago and again 15 years later, there was talk of secession both times. The talk at first was said like a joke. I have family there and it grew from a joke 15-30 years ago, to in the past 5 years earnest and very strong feelings.

The libs fleeing the states they ruined like CA, have screwed up other states they fled to. Hope the true TX people outvote the facist liberals.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join