It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's your favorite pet?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Now, this may sound like a off the wall/fuuzywuzzy thread, but with the collection of ...ahem....interesting personalities we have around here, there have to be some pretty interesting pets.

Me, I like ferrets. I know, some people think they smell bad or just musky, but mine don't. The first thing people want to do to a smelly ferret is give them a bath. Then when that doesn't work, give them another bath. Don't Do It! It makes their skin dry, so they produce more oils, which makes them smell worse. My ferrets love water. They play, splash and even give themselves a bath. My favorite, PJ, will sit for 30 minutes at a time, splashing water on himself and licking it off to get clean. They can be litter trained, just like a cat and even when they do have an accident, it's not the huge stinking mess a cat or dog leaves. Yes, there are some who bite. Once again, mine don't. We got them at a very young age [ 10 weeks ] and trained it out of them. You can't spank a ferret with a rolled up newspaper or physically discipline them at all, it only makes them more aggressive. You Do Not want that. They can. and sometimes will, bite very hard when they're young. I've had one sink their teeth to the bone. Patience and a little time is the only thing that'll work. Think potty training a child.
They get along well with other animals too. We have 3 dogs and 2 cats, but we've never had an incident. You wanna see funny? Watch a 2 lb ferret jump on the face of a sleeping Great Pyrenees and wrap all 4 legs around their snout. "I caught, I say I caught me a Big chicken!"
They do a thing called the Weasel War Dance and while it looks aggressive, it's just part of their play. They jump at you, grab you with their "hands" and nibble at your fingers, toes or pretty much what ever they can reach. Mine will ambush you from under the couch. You go walking through the living room and next thing ya know, you have a ferret attached to your leg. They can also be very affectionate. It's nothing for one of mine to crawl in bed with us and snuggle under my neck or between my arm and side, where it's warm. They love to burrow, so picking up a towel can be a surprise when they come rolling out. Pull out a drawer, a little head pops from under a shirt, blinking and plainly asking "What? I was sleepin'!" I swear, for every day, zany, laugh your ass off antics, you just can't do better.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Our Catahoula Leopard Dogs. Very loyal, smart and enjoy a long walk in the park.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I had a girl friend that had a half dozen ferrets .Funny little critters they are .I have natural pets in the back yard .Squirrels chipmunks and a dozen different birds that I give seeds and peanuts to .No need for Vets and the $$ that that costs .One tree had a new batch of kids (6) about a month ago . I rather enjoy it that way but I have had pet Raccoon ,Skunks , foxes and what ever critter I could find when I was a kid growing up .I had a ton of snakes .

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 07:26 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
Beautiful. If my wife sees those, we're gonna have more dogs.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

I always had lots of wild pets, even raised some baby falcons when their mother died.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
Beautiful. If my wife sees those, we're gonna have more dogs.

Thank you.

Serious Dog (Cayenne) did a couple of TV commercials:

And Spaz (Nola) is a hospice therapy dog:

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Cocker spaniel. Very bright, loves people and kids and other dogs.

Named Chewy, short for Chewbacca. His face is chewbacca!!

edit on 19-9-2014 by bbracken677 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Would my boyfriend count as pet?

He whines, begs, and generally has the same qualities as a dog?

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: AnteBellum

Only if he is completely house broken.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 08:27 AM
link   
we found this kitty abandoned in our shed when she was a baby, the has become the sweetest little thing, constantly head butting me while shes kneeding my stomach before she lays down on me for a nap.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Pharaoh hounds...sight hounds of any breed actually. Very close to being wild, very smart, and super independent.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I miss our ferrets. We had to give them away when we moved. Our Male, lucky, had a fang on his bottom jaw that stuck out like our bulldogs does now.
They were such thieves. We always knew to look under the couch when a toy or keys were missing.

Now, I just have these two babies, and chickens. Currently have three roosters named Larry, MO and Curly, but Larry and Curly will be "Dinner and Lunch" next month. Mo gets to stay because he is a polish and is just funny looking.

Abby The Boxer, who is also a crazy thief:

And Dozer, who will take down a full grown man. For a beer.

We also have a cat named Mia, smallest cat I ever owned and she is mean to everyone, except my hubby, who claims to hate cats.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I prefer dogs. Have had exceptionally good experiences with parrots and fish too.

Our miniature schnauzer doesn't want her picture posted on the boards. She thinks she's too fat. LOL

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I"m a cat person and would love to have a bunch of cats. BUT ... I"m married to a dog person so we have a beagle. We also have two fish. Our daughter won them at a church carnival about 10 years ago. They started out about an inch long and we were told they would only live a few weeks. Now, 10 years later, they are both a foot long and the pet store tells us they'll live to see 20 years old.

Our very fat and gimpy beagle Daisy sleeping in the flower box on the back porch -

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Being the small person I am....

I prefer chihuahuas. Small but mighty.

That's Bean. He's my furry child and you can tell by the look on his face that he is spoiled and thinks he's a wee bit sexy to boot.

I can almost hear him saying... How you doin'?

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   

This is my pup Arya. She's a red nose pit bull terrier and she is the bee's knees! We often go on hikes together and she gets along with everybody. Other dogs, other people everybody! My girlfriend has a little bunny and they sleep together. It's flippin adorable. This is a pic from our hike to the top of Mt. Washington in New Hampshire. She kicked that mountains butt! I had no idea dogs could scale cliffs like she did. Everyone was amazed that this little one year old puppy made it to the top. It was an awesome two day hike and I can't wait to take her on our next great adventure. She is the poster child, er... "Pup" for all Pit Bulls.

edit on 19-9-2014 by Cogidubnus because: Added another pic from the trip. My girlfriend just had ACL surgery and was feeling tired at the top so she took the "Cog rail" down and snapped this great pic of the two of us hiking down

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cogidubnus
This is my pup Arya.

Does she have a friend named Hot Pie?

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Haha that's what we should have named the BUNNY!!!! LOL a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: AnteBellum
Would my boyfriend count as pet?

He whines, begs, and generally has the same qualities as a dog?

Hahahaha! I almost spit my coffee out!!

I couldn't pick just one favorite pet. I had a ferret once and adored her. I have had mostly cats my whole life, but many, many other pets. Yeah, maybe cats

edit on 19-9-2014 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: AnteBellum

He likes to pee on bushes? hahaha

<<   2 >>

join