It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scotland, Wales, N.Ireland, and England...it's our Union, let's now fix it together.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Welsh/Cornish is a splendid mix! Two of my favourite places in the whole world

I'm a mix of midland and northern English with Highland and Island Gael. It's just pathetic hearing folk who dont get the mix that makes up many Britons saying what a "true" Scot would do. They probably barely understand what a "Scot" is.

edit on 19-9-2014 by skalla because: typo

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: skalla
Ah we can only farm the land we've got!
Agreed though, 4th generation US nationals with some Scottish ancestry are mildly annoying with their vocal Alba BS.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: skalla

I'm a mix of midland and northern English with Highland and Island Gael. It's just pathetic hearing folk who dont get the mix that makes up many Britons saying what a "true" Scot would do. They probably barely understand what a "Scot" is.

Sadly most people have very little idea about history.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Uh-huh! I went to the clan gathering in Edinburgh four or five years ago to meet some long lost Aussie cousins and there were many folk from the US there. Some were almost tolerable lol

Maybe i'm guilty of looking back in time too far, but to me we are an island of tribes and i like that.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: AngryCymraeg
I'm gutted my family history only goes to the 1390's...would love to know who was who in 1282 when Llywelyn ap Gruffudd was killed by the English.
Difference with me (and us) though is that bitterness about history is lame as #.
Move on together and shape the new world I say.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg

Quite, Bloody johnny come lately's, those Scots.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I'm with you!
I love the crazy mix of tribes which is the isles of this nation...it is why I am glad the Scots voted to stay with us and change things for the better, together.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Aye, what annoys me is the ignorance of some posters suggesting that it's "The English" (TM) who did all of the oppressing.

My Gran had beatings in school for not speaking decent English and was abused, prejudiced and marginalised in Glasgow on leaving the islands after WW1 because she was a Gaelic speaker.. it was fellow Scots that did it to her too, not the English.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg

Quite, Bloody johnny come lately's, those Scots.

Those Neanderthals as well - nothing but skiving immigrants, littering the place up with their spears!

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

Wankers! With their crappy Levallois, waste of good flint.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Ah that will be conveniently forgotten about of course, and we'll have our cup of tea and pretend it didn't happen as we do.
But in the context of the OP I genuinely hope we get over it all and work together for a mutually beneficial union for all of us.

*Edit*
I'm crashing now so if anyone has any views about how we in the British Isles can work better together please share your thoughts...I support the union which the Scottish people voted for yesterday. It was a beautiful example of democracy which the world can learn from in my opinion.

edit on 19-9-2014 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   

If there is one thing that truly scares me, globally, it is the fracturing of former states into smaller independent states. I see it as moving backwards, not forward into the 21st Century. We need to be looking to ourselves first as Humans, Earthlings, etc, and not Americans, French, Chinese, etc. It saddens me greatly, as I see the potential for the human race diminished, and we are all too easily swayed to war, and kill, those we see as different than us, all too easily, when we think of the state first.

It's Earth first, and we'd best start uniting this world, instead of dividing it. I see those who wish to do so, as misguided, and very destructive to the peace and prosperity of this planet.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Blimey mate you traced your family tree back to 1390! That's impressive

On my mothers Irish side we had a mayor of New York and IRA :-/ would love to trace my family history back as far as I can but would expect to find Gengis khan and judas in there!

Remember taking my grandfather to Ireland many years ago when he was alive for a holiday with my parents who have lived there for some time after moving from England-He had never been to Eire and apart from ww2 in North Africa up through Italy ect ect long campaign he never liked to be too far away from his working mans social club in Surrey but was great to see his face light up as he was for the 1st time on his blood lines soil

I love Eire,they live near Castletownbere on the south west with the sea in sight,driven many a time from the ferry over to them and the scenery is stunning and the Guinness seems far better

Yeah the British race has a big mixture of the tribes bloodlines,think it's good to diverse the genetic blood line

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

originally posted by: amkia
I am truly sorry for the Scottish people and their unfortunate loss of the battle of the freedom and independence to get rid of the old British bit#%... it really saddens me.

Why are you sad?
2 million Scots voted for the union, 1.6 million voted against, and more than a million didn't care enough to vote.
Seems like a clear choice to me, and I'm glad to chase a fair union between N.Ireland, Wales, Scotland, and England, where we all mutually benefit. Why would you not? The Scots made their choice and I am glad they chose to stay in the family.

I am sure you’ll never understand this…

Saying “NO” to the independence..?? You are born as slave, you’ll die as slave, never the less congrats to your (renewed slavery contracts)..

No more discussions...

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Catacomb

The problem many Europeans face is that their national governments & the EU are very remote. Democracy has turned into a "tick the box once every 5 or 6 years" exercise. Corporations control everything. They answer only their shareholders (often other corporations). When the ordinary people like the Scots start to rebel, the corporations weigh in and threaten financial armageddon, job losses, falling currency values, interest rate rises, job losses ... all the threats filter their way down the corporate intranets, down to the poor employee on minimum wage rates. Every doom and gloom press release gets prime time in the media. Every politician has his pocket lined and does his duty for his corporate masters, the revolving door of parliament to corporation never ends.

Serfs, that's what we are. Modern day slaves. Except we're so used to this sh*t that we don't even know how oppressed we are. I feel so sorry for the Scots this night. If only a few more of them had resisted. And I feel so sorry that some of their British/English/Welsh compatriots are only looking at this in constitutional, legal, familial terms. We're all getting ripped off across the EU it's a total disgrace and this referendum was an opportunity squandered.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Whereismypassword
Aw come on lads the king of the noobs Yuppa has clearly seen brave heart!

SO have alot of the IRA. YEs i know bravehearts not quite accurate but the english did some nastiness as most countries they held and ran can attest. They started the issue but cannot stand the thought of losing a cash cow such as scotland because the deposits of gas and oil. I was going to post up the eagle picture with this caption,"so they have gas aoil deposits eh? sounds liek they could use some FREEDOM."

Again England is a big by and does not need to have territorries such as scotland under the crown. Although the royals are nothing more than placemats these days.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   
There's lots of food for thought here but not a great deal on our plate at the moment.

Whether you like him or dislike him Alex Salmond and the SNP inspired the Scottish people to get out there and vote (not necessarily all in favour of the SNP). They also inspired the people of our United Kingdom to think about politics and our intertwined relationships with each other.

We sometimes need to forget how those borders draw historical physical lines between us. This is the 21st century UK, not the 17th century or even the 20th century. People who declare their hatred at the English, Irish, Scots or Welsh really need to wake up and realise that most of us have Grandparents, Uncles, Aunts and Cousins somewhere in the mix from all across the small islands we all inhabit. Many of them fought through a couple of World Wars together so we could experience the (perhaps seldom appreciated) freedom we now enjoy today.

We can't go back in time and change some of the unsavoury moments of our history. But we can learn from them to make a fairer and better modern Britain.

We are also at a time when we can seize the moment and seek real change to our stale outdated political system. With a General Election next year it is up to ALL of us to keep this momentum going and seek real change.

Or we can slump back into disenchantment and the status quo will prevail.

It's up to all of us what happens next.

edit on 19/9/14 by mirageman because: bad grammmar

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Apparently Scottish Loyalists have invaded George Square and are intimidating the yes voters.

vine.co...

vine.co...
edit on Friday49vAmerica/ChicagoFri, 19 Sep 2014 17:49:32 -0500Fridaypm19 by liverlad because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

Given that the Union was formed in the 1700's and the scots welcomed it because they were flat out broke at the time, which part of the rubbish you've just posted is actually relevant? The Union existed long before North Sea Oil ever became an issue.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: neformore
a reply to: yuppa

Given that the Union was formed in the 1700's and the scots welcomed it because they were flat out broke at the time, which part of the rubbish you've just posted is actually relevant? The Union existed long before North Sea Oil ever became an issue.

Welcomed it? LOL!!! more like they were flat broke and had no way to support their people. The history of scotland on the BBC shows they were not happy as you say.

ears of poor harvests and near bankruptcy due to the Darien fiasco led to Scotland appealing to the English parliament for financial aid. Aid arrived in the form of the Union. The union was a last resort. Before 1700 though they resisted british rule.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join