It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scotland, Wales, N.Ireland, and England...it's our Union, let's now fix it together.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: beansidhe
United means shared beliefs, hopes and aspirations. I'm just not seeing that .

Perhaps you have been distracted from such thoughts while directing your energies towards leaving the union with N.Ireland, Wales, and England. Perhaps you can now focus and contribute positively to an improved union while you wait for your next vote on leaving it?

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

No, not distracted, I've always been passionate about Scotland. I still am and always will be - I'll make no apologies for that. In another referendum, I'll be voting yes, same as yesterday.
I love my cousins in the UK, but I think Scotland should be independent. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: beansidhe
I respect your right to seek independence if you wish, but this thread is about us working for a strong union as four nations working together against our common enemy in Westminster.
If you do not passionately support that intention while waiting for your next vote for independence I would ask why are you bothering to contribute here?

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: beansidhe

I don't hate anyone. If the south of England want to band together to challenge Westminister, I'll back them all the way.

Ahhh, North and South, is that all you see? Whopping great chunk called the Midlands which is funnily enough in the middle. You think that people in the North are somehow worthier and people from the North East consider themselves the same as those in the North West? You think everyone in the South uses £50 notes to wipe their ar$e when they've been to the loo? Sorry, on a day when you should be celebrating such a huge voter turnout - even though it didn't go your way - you drop down to national stereotypes I wouldn't even consider using against anyone from anywhere.

So you didn't get the result you wanted, that's hard luck, but very close to 85% of Scotland voted, that in itself is incredible and shows that democracy is alive and well in Scotland.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 08:56 AM
link   

The only way there was a strong union was when there was an empire. No empire no Britain. Britain is all about empire and imperialism. Britain is really about English colonialism. Colonised Wales, Ireland, and Scotland an there you are Britain.

I don't see how you can make the "union" stronger. What we have a big love in? Social appreciation of our and each other's cultures? Multi-culturalism??

The Scottish referendum highlighted the political problems of the UK. A useless self-serving political elite in Westminster looking after the City of London and SE England.

Unless the UK is changed fundamentally in the way it is run and that could include splitting up any ideas of building a stronger union is just pie in the sky.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: uncommitted
very close to 85% of Scotland voted, that in itself is incredible and shows that democracy is alive and well in Scotland.

i agree, and that majority voted to work with the rest of us in a union which can benefit us all. I hope this sparks a new future for the UK as a strong collective of 4 nations.

...oh, and not you uncommitted, but to others who are still using it, can we please drop the rUK thing now. The campaign is over and Scotland chose to remain a member of the UK. There is no contrived rUK anymore to discuss, we are one in the UK and should all work together to make it better for all of us.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: ispyed
You've got nothing positive to contribute here then?
Perhaps you should have a cup of tea and chill, it helps.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I hope Cameron and co stick to the plan of stopping 46 Scots politicians from voting on English affairs....Scotland doesn't need them either....great as far as i'm concerned.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol
I hope Cameron and co stick to the plan of stopping 46 Scots politicians from voting on English affairs....Scotland doesn't need them either....great as far as i'm concerned.

Haha, I do get your point fella, but now we're in a new evolving union I will fight for the right of those 46 Scots MP's to represent Scottish interests in all UK wide politics...just not be able to vote on solely English stuff like Uni tuition fees in England. We'd have had the same as you guys if those Scots MP's had abstained a couple of years ago.

I want a fairer union for all of us, and this might well be the chance to seize it as people together now Scotland has decided its path.
I genuinely hope so at least.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   

i will reserve a long post for later

I agree with this whole premise, and together we will get stronger an better .. is it perfect ? of course not .. but when did things ever get better by shutting a door, or adding another line on the map and separating people

a world civilization is INEVITABLE we should all work together to make sure no child starves, wealth is shared more equally etc etc...

Q

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I dont believe that the Union will change one iota....more powers for Scotland???? They are full of Shyzer the lot of them.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Quantum_Squirrel
Agreed, I look forward to your contributions later

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol
Let's all see what happens and think positively for the future which Scotland has chosen...the union with Wales, Northern Ireland, and England. We might even just turn out to be better together after all while dealing with our common enemies in Westminster and the square mile.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   
With the «divide and conquer» British political mentalities and now suddenly the (UNION) is good when it comes to the Empire itself..? What the hell is going on really..?

I am truly sorry for the Scottish people and their unfortunate loss of the battle of the freedom and independence to get rid of the old British bit#%... it really saddens me.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: amkia
I am truly sorry for the Scottish people and their unfortunate loss of the battle of the freedom and independence to get rid of the old British bit#%... it really saddens me.

Why are you sad?
2 million Scots voted for the union, 1.6 million voted against, and more than a million didn't care enough to vote.
Seems like a clear choice to me, and I'm glad to chase a fair union between N.Ireland, Wales, Scotland, and England, where we all mutually benefit. Why would you not? The Scots made their choice and I am glad they chose to stay in the family.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   

With the «divide and conquer» British political mentalities and now suddenly the (UNION) is good when it comes to the Empire itself..? What the hell is going on really..?

what loss?

strange as 55% of Scottish people wanted this.

its embarrassing all these threads and posts screaming fix, or its just wrong , people need to grow up and respect the majority's wishes,

time to put those big boy pants on

Q

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   

As a Scottish person living in Scotland i hope last nights result blows up in our faces, And nothing i have seen from Westminster tells me that it wont.
I can and do survive with very little in life, my only luxury is the internet,(and Guitars) and i can live without them easily.....99% of the population would cry into their cornflakes and crumble if they were forced to live as i chose to live my life.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol
Oh behave Solo, you are not an impoverished wasteland which has any more problems than the rest of the UK.
I've told you umpteen times about the very same rural poverty issues we have here in an equally forgotten SW of England, which has the same poor wages as Scotland, but then seasonal with tourists, and house prices way in excess of prices for property north of the border.

Stop being a victim and turn all that independence energy into transforming the union (which your country chose to be part of) into something better and fairer for all of us.
Your cries of poverty Scotland are tiresome now, we are just as poor in the SW of England and get around a thousand pound per year less spent on each of our citizens due to the Barnett Formula.
Stop whinging as if you lot are suffering any more than the rest of us, and inspire the fight against our common enemy...the twats in Westminster.

edit on 19-9-2014 by grainofsand because: Typo

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: ispyed

What people always forget about the United Kindom of Great Britain, is that its people have lived and worked together for so long, that the citizens of each of these countries whose heritage in these isles stretches back more than a few generations, have bits of each country in their construction.

I am as tied to the Scots, the Welsh, and the Irish, as I am to the English. Given that my ancestors were roaming the wild places of every corner of these isles before the Romans ever showed up, I feel connected to this land, all of it, the whole British isles, and the peoples of each region within it, in a way that it is perhaps difficult to appreciate for someone who is not of these isles.

The Union has value to me beyond the economic and political status it provides (or inflicts, depending on ones view of the matter), because it is a constant reminder that we Britons are bonded by blood, and by the shared efforts of those who came before us, to build the union in the first place. So many grand things began here, and there is so much history here, that to ignore all of that and throw it all on the trash heap, over what amounts to the foolishness of a minority of elitists in London, seems irresponsible, and would have been heartbreaking for a great many of my fellow Britons.

We should cherish the bonds between us, and they should only get stronger, not weaker as time progresses. The same could be said of the bonds between all human kind. The only thing that stands in the way of unity between all the peoples of the Earth, is the thing which nearly sundered our Union here in Britain, that being the selfishness and stupidity of a powerful minority.

People on all sides, of all conflicts, MUST accept that regardless of what governments say and do, governments themselves are irrelevant. All that matters, is the bonds between individuals, and here in the UK, we have shared so much together, that it is harder for us to forget each other as individuals, to forget the difference between governments, and the people they falsely claim to represent. The UK government is NOT my representative, any more than it represents Scottish people. But the willingness of our brothers to the north, to suffer under the same failed government as the rest of the United Kingdom, fills me with great hope that our unity will conquer the rotten, puss filled growth which our parliament is filled with one day.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit
Excellently put.
The four peoples of our union are not the enemy of each other. Our common enemy is the corrupt politicians and the corporations in bed with them. If we all remember that, as people together, then we are stronger than the enemy realises.
I hope we all move on now, and remember this day as a process we can thank our Scottish partners for setting in motion.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join