It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Great App I Wanted To Share Called Eidetic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I have an abysmal time trying to remember phone numbers, addresses and the like. It takes me months to actually remember a new address or phone number sometimes. Once it's in my head, it's in, but I definitely need repetition to remember these sorts of things. There were maybe 5 phone numbers I remembered before using this app. In a week I've already got 2 more stuck in my head.

So you get the app (and you have to pay a pittance if you want to be able to memorize more than one thing at once). It gives you a list of things to add. Dictionary word, phone number, fact, number, list, quote and note. You enter the info and then choose how urgently you want to learn. The app will test you a few times a day on whatever you set up.

My favorite is by far the phone number thing. You go to the phone number tab and can either type one in or choose from contacts. When the app tests you if you get it wrong you can either hear the number, or see it. Then you enter it in again. It's satisfying, and for me a great way to learn things that don't stick easily.

Here's A Write Up From Lifehacker

Just thought I would share.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Obvious stupid question...you have a smartphone....why memorize phone numbers? Save those brain cells for inventing a time machine.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Lemme know when they invent an ap that will let you forget things selectively.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 01:06 AM
link   
a reply to: AreUKiddingMe

Already invented one.

I have a smartphone, but I don't ALWAYS have a smartphone. If I need help from family or my girlfriend or friends it's nice to know I'm not completely reliant on my phone. Let's say I'm out hiking and get robbed, or boating and capsize, or driving and forgot my charger... It's important to be able to remember phone numbers of those that are close to you and would always help you out in a jam.

It's also not just about phone numbers. This app can help you memorize a ton of things. CPR, your address, things for a test, your license plate, anything you want to really sink in.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 01:08 AM
link   
a reply to: signalfire

I have good news! Alcohol is sold everywhere! Not really an app, but it can get the job done.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Native advertising anyone? Crazy that it's on a place like this. Watch John Oliver talk about it on you tube?

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 01:22 AM
link   
a reply to: tavi45

Oh please. I wanted to share something I found really useful. I would be the last person on this site an advertising agency would approach.

I should be able to share my positive experiences. It's just like a movie or book review.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 02:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

I have a laminated card in my bag // wallet // car that has a few key bits of info on it that

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 02:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
a reply to: AreUKiddingMe

Already invented one.

I have a smartphone, but I don't ALWAYS have a smartphone. If I need help from family or my girlfriend or friends it's nice to know I'm not completely reliant on my phone. Let's say I'm out hiking and get robbed, or boating and capsize, or driving and forgot my charger... It's important to be able to remember phone numbers of those that are close to you and would always help you out in a jam.

It's also not just about phone numbers. This app can help you memorize a ton of things. CPR, your address, things for a test, your license plate, anything you want to really sink in.

Sounds more like this app wants all your information, for it to memorize, not you. So you are going to tell it your license paste number or SIN and home address? It's just a data mining app in disguise. I don't put my home address in my phone, I'm not planning on mailing myself anything in the near future.
The more phone numbers you are trying to memorize is telling this app who your most important contacts are as well.
The CPR sounds handy but there are first aid apps for that.

edit on 19-9-2014 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 02:25 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

That's a good idea too.

Ugh. Is it really a bad idea to memorize phone numbers of important people? If you get mugged and someone takes your wallet or cell phone does it not make sense to memorize numbers of people that will help you?

I guess Im the only one that has been without a cell phone and stored numbers when I needed them.

The app doesn't just do phone numbers, you can have it help you memorize loads of different information.

I have to admit I'm feeling frustrated, I thought some people would find it useful but I guess not. My intent was just to share something I had used and found to work well.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 02:35 AM
link   
I think you're better off storing phone numbers the old fashioned way. Write them on paper and keep in your pocket, if your phone is lost or stolen, you have them. If your phone is lost you can't call anyways.

I remember numbers very easy.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 02:50 AM
link   
a reply to: violet

Sounds more like this app wants all your information, for it to memorize, not you. So you are going to tell it your license paste number or SIN and home address? It's just a data mining app in disguise. I don't put my home address in my phone, I'm not planning on mailing myself anything in the near future.
The more phone numbers you are trying to memorize is telling this app who your most important contacts are as well.
The CPR sounds handy but there are first aid apps for that.

Yeah, in the US your cell phone carrier already knows your full name, SSN, address etc. It doesn't matter if you put it in your phone or not.

Phone carriers and your smart phone already know who you call/text/email most.

You can enter wrong information too. I could say that a phone number was 555-5555 and just subtract 1 for every number in my contact list. Changes nothing.

I would trust this app over an internet connection. You are on the internet. You're already identified, logged, cross referenced and under surveillance. Violet on ATS is easy to track, your purchases are easy to track unless they're all cash, and even then pretty easy to find you.

You do realize that all of your information is available to ATS or any other site you frequent I hope.

Go ahead and tell me how you're a super elite hacker and not easily identified. Even if you payed cash for your phone you are easy to run down. You contacted _____ and even if _____ was paying cash it's easy to trace you.

You aren't safe from data mining. Even if you buy a laptop with cash and only go on the web through public browsers 10 miles away, you're done.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Your whole debate is laughable in some sense and I'm sure you must see why? I am guilty as you so please don't take the following like I'm singling you out.

When we were kids, it took 60 seconds to call someone, cause you had to wait for the rotary dial to turn back to 0. Numbers were only 7 digits ever, when it became 10 digits there were a lot of jokes on how long they would end up being, suddenly someone interjected that China had super long numbers. You only called the people you care about the the ones you love, the rest were left up to the white pages and businesses were in the yellow pages. No one knew a business existed unless you checked the yellow pages first.

Oh man... Brings back old memories. Thanks for this thread. So why was it so easy for us back then? Even when the numbers got longer I still had 50 odd #'s in my head. It was because you typed the numbers in each time you called. Typing them in each time gives you a real life experience to tie the memory of the number to. Because you didn't have a digi-phone book in your phone. Having a number with you meant a mini-pocket phone book, writing on your hand or a piece of paper. Given how annoying this was it doesn't take long to will it out of usefulness.

So today we are lazy, useless turds that can't even operate a phone properly. I thought about it a few months ago, I didn't even know my fiancee's phone number. My business partner, who I've known for 20 odd years, I remember his because his end digits haven't changed since the beginning of cell phones. But my own fiancee, my dad, my other family members. I don't remember any of them, except for a few home numbers that have been around.

Like someone said, this company is probably data mining. Someone proposed a start up biz to me, an online app for girls doing XYZ and buying ABC. They were talking all the potential sales and I immediately said, "_____ that!" Buddy looked at me funny thinking he was going to make money of middleman retail, "Listen, your margins suck for all that stuff, sell it simply to break even, we will kill it on selling the data that's been mined."

All apps nowadays want your phone, house, number of kids, loved ones, interests, hobbies, likes, dislikes, fears, idiosyncrasies, health problems, dreams, goals, aspirations, etc, etc, etc.

It's all worth a fortune to anyone that's advertising. Imagine getting to advertise to the exact sub group that purchases your products. Or straight up phone dialer thrown on to a list. Those lists sell for $1-5,000 a pop. Compile 10 lists and sell them 10 times. Not bad revenue.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: violet
I think you're better off storing phone numbers the old fashioned way. Write them on paper and keep in your pocket, if your phone is lost or stolen, you have them. If your phone is lost you can't call anyways.

Lies. Get out of here. Who are you, James Bond?

Seriously? Are you Bond?

Who are youuuuuuuuuuuuu? James...

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Amazing how different things are. Back in the day when I was a kid, I knew 40+ phone numbers of friends off the top of my head, these days I don't even remember my own sometimes lol. How sad is that?

To be fair to myself, I don't use the phone too much these days, back then was calling friends all the time to setup games of manhunt and war and whatnot.

edit on Fri, 19 Sep 2014 16:50:48 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: boncho

originally posted by: violet

Lies. Get out of here. Who are you, James Bond?

Seriously? Are you Bond?

Who are youuuuuuuuuuuuu? James...

You busted me.
Seriously I can. I know my credit card, debit card, social insurance number, ex's social insurance number.
Can also say the alphabet backwards, not that it's useful.
Zyxwvutsrqponmlkjihgfedcba

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Yes I am aware of all these things you mentioned. However My cellphone is not under a contract by me, it's with my ex's company under a joint plan with his. My ISP has my location incorrect. It uses the city where my cable office is located. Still though, I'm fully aware I have GPS installed and all of that.

I don't t use my iPhone for much except to make calls.

top topics

join