It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scotland Vote No In Referendum – Selfish, Scared People, Well Done!

page: 29
<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 06:27 AM
link   
a reply to: uncommitted

Maybe, maybe not, I couldn't say. I do think a lot of anti English rhetoric would be counted as 'banter' or 'I've nothing against English people, I actually know three of them, it's all about Westminster'. Yawn, drivel.

I am curious as to why you finish on 'yawn drivel'. Don't you think that wishing to break free from Westminster rule is a true motivation? I think there were some polls at the time and that was the main reason given for voting yes.

It is sad that those of us that aspired to independence have been sullied by those that would decry it as somehow anti-English.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 07:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: midicon

Maybe, maybe not, I couldn't say. I do think a lot of anti English rhetoric would be counted as 'banter' or 'I've nothing against English people, I actually know three of them, it's all about Westminster'. Yawn, drivel.

I am curious as to why you finish on 'yawn drivel'. Don't you think that wishing to break free from Westminster rule is a true motivation? I think there were some polls at the time and that was the main reason given for voting yes.

It is sad that those of us that aspired to independence have been sullied by those that would decry it as somehow anti-English.

I put the 'Yawn drivel' because I got the strong feeling on this thread and several others that there is a subset of people on here and in the public at large that used the 'I'm not a racist, I've got nothing against English people but....' just before launching into anti English rhetoric and yet amusingly then talk about how anti Scottish the media was during the campaign.

Fairly similar to 'I've plenty of Muslim mates, but....' or 'Gay people? Some of my best friends are gay, but....'

That is not directed at you midicoin, please don't assume it is.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Over the course of the referendum campaign I saw a small number of anti English comments compared to the avalanche of anti Scottish comments.
In fairness ATS has been a lot less sullied by anti whatever rhetoric than most sites discussing the referendum.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   

I did think it was, I don't know why, but I am happy to be wrong. The people that annoy you are in the minority it's just that they tend to be the most vocal. I wouldn't let it bother you too much, lest it reduces you to that level.

I watched Gordon Brown being lambasted in the House of Commons the other day by an SNP MP about his guarantee of new powers and Brown, under pressure could only point over to the Tory bench and shout, 'it's all their fault, they keep moving the goalposts'. I mention that as it was funny to watch. It will be fun to watch this pantomime play out.

It's all good...that is if you spell my name right...

Regards Midicon.

edit on 16-10-2014 by midicon because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: midicon

I did think it was, I don't know why, but I am happy to be wrong. The people that annoy you are in the minority it's just that they tend to be the most vocal. I wouldn't let it bother you too much, lest it reduces you to that level.

It's all good...that is if you spell my name right...

Regards Midicon.

First, apologies, a random 'i' snuck in there. It doesn't annoy me, not a bit, I just found it ironic that the people that shout loudest about being attacked are the quickest to attack pre-emptively.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot
Over the course of the referendum campaign I saw a small number of anti English comments compared to the avalanche of anti Scottish comments.
In fairness ATS has been a lot less sullied by anti whatever rhetoric than most sites discussing the referendum.

All I can say is on ATS in the threads I watched, I didn't see much anti Scottish nonsense, I did however see some - I repeat some, not a lot - of ones that were not what I would call friendly to the English.

Please don't think I was in some way offended, I happen to live in England and was born here, but I'm quite neutral and if you go by my parentage I'm as English as....... a lot of people who got the vote in Scotland are Scottish

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

No, there wasn't much anti-Scottish sentiment in this guys OP.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Knobby

You are referring to the OP in that link? Actually, he's Welsh, not English
That's by the by though, I said what I personally had seen.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   
To paraphrase Michael Caine in Gold Menber. "there are only two kinds of people I cant stand, those who discriminate against other peoples cultures, and the welsh"

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   

To paraphrase Michael Caine in Gold Menber. "there are only two kinds of people I cant stand, those who discriminate against other peoples cultures, and the welsh"

Naughty, very very naughty. Personally I'm more of the opinion that everyone should experience life in its full apart from incest and Morris dancing.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: uncommitted

I've had my eyes opened by the sheer amount of anti-Scottish sentiment being posted on the London based MSM website forums. Fuelled by said same London MSM.

But let's not get paranoid, I noticed that since George Clooney voiced his opinion on the Elgin marbles, he has usurped Andy Murray as the no. 1 hate figure.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Naughty, very very naughty. Personally I'm more of the opinion that everyone should experience life in its full apart from incest and Morris dancing.

And lets be honest, if you had to choose one.....

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: midicon
My main understanding of Browns argument is that we shouldn't devolve too much power to Scotland as this (quite fairly) would take powers away from Scottish MPs creating a two tier MP system in Westminster. Brown of course coincidentally would be one of the second tier MPs.
Did not think my respect for the man could go any lower but you live and learn.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   

And lets be honest, if you had to choose one.....

Me? I can't stand Morris dancing, sheesh, the alternative is a little troubling. I may have a third cousin somewhere........

ETA, if I do have a third cousin and for some reason they use ATS and bizzarely know my ID - don't worry, it's a joke.... as long as you are a Morris dancer
edit on 16-10-2014 by uncommitted because: as per ETA

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   

I've had my eyes opened by the sheer amount of anti-Scottish sentiment being posted on the London based MSM website forums. Fuelled by said same London MSM.

But let's not get paranoid, I noticed that since George Clooney voiced his opinion on the Elgin marbles, he has usurped Andy Murray as the no. 1 hate figure.

I can only comment on what I've seen on ATS. HAving said that, I'm sure there are Scottish based sites that would carry an equal amount of vitriol in the other direction. C'est la vie

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Knobby
Ah quit your whinging, there was no hate in that thread, I'd love to see you try survive being a Welshman in England, man up. lol

Haha! Exactly, but you won't hear me whinging...and I know every sheep joke there is

edit on 11Thu, 16 Oct 2014 11:46:29 -0500am46102014f29am10 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand
Every sheep joke? Are you an Aberdeen fan as well as welsh?

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Knobby

I really wanted to keep out of this little argument, but......

And yet every English person who says they have experienced anti-English attitudes is casually dismissed.

I have a lot of time for the Scots and spend a fair bit of time in Scotland with Scottish friends who represent quite a cross section of Scottish society.
I've often encountered anti-English sentiment and if I'm being honest even quite a bit of aggression.
But I'm nobody's fool and I know that they aren't representative of Scots in general.....and if I'm being honest, who cares? I've got thick skin and broad shoulders.

But those instances are laughed off as 'Scots just being Scottish' and English being far too sensitive and sappy.

Yes, I've noticed an upsurge in anti-Scottish sentiment from some English - I think much of it is down to a sense of disenchantment and even betrayal by the Scots - rightly or wrongly and I'm not really in the mood for such a discussion at present.

I despise London, or should I say what London is currently seen to represent, at least as much as any Scotsman does.
London is not representative of England or rUK as a whole.

But let's not get paranoid, I noticed that since George Clooney voiced his opinion on the Elgin marbles,....

Did he?
Who cares?

..... he has usurped Andy Murray as the no. 1 hate figure.

Andy will be loved again as the true Brit he is....once he starts winning again....until then he will be hated as the figure head of the 'anyone but England' brigade.

edit on 16/10/14 by Freeborn because: grammar

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   

a reply to: grainofsand
Every sheep joke? Are you an Aberdeen fan as well as welsh?

Argh! No not at all!! ....they kiss with tongues as well up there, even us Welsh don't go that far!!

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   

I can only comment on what I've seen on ATS. HAving said that, I'm sure there are Scottish based sites that would carry an equal amount of vitriol in the other direction. C'est la vie

Neither side was perfect, but most of us saw it as a fight with Westminster, however, a lot of the rUK saw it as an insult to them personally.
The MSM was the worst, though. The bitter-together poster girls Michelle Mone and JK Rowling were often in the press after getting some twitter abuse, but there was not a peep when abuse was directed at a YES campaigner.
The media bias in the campaign was shocking.

Anyway, we just have to wait for the three amigos to back out of giving us more devolved powers and we can go through this all over again.

top topics

<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join