It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US accuses Syria of chlorine gas attacks

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Well isn't that a perfect timing, isn't it.

US accuses Syria of chlorine gas attacks

The US claims Syrian President Bashar Assad has broken the chemical weapons treaty he agreed to earlier this year, by launching chlorine gas attacks in Syrian villages. It comes as the Senate officially approved a plan to arm and train Syrian rebels.

US Secretary of State John Kerry on Thursday accused Assad of breaching the terms of the global pact on chemical weapons, by unleashing chlorine gas via barrel bomb attacks earlier this year.

Even if true, why are events from "earlier this year" suddenly discussed right now, exactly when the US is raising support for a military offensive against "IS" and (now officially) against Syrian Government Forces?

However:

International diplomats told Reuters this week that Syria had revealed a previously undeclared research and development facility and a laboratory to produce ricin. Those disclosures appeared to support Western allegations in recent months that the Assad regime had not been fully transparent in detailing its chemical weapons program.

Anyway, I am not saying that either side didn't commit war crimes, yet the timing just brings back those old memories about WMD's in Iraq, e.g. casus belli.

edit on 18/9/14 by absente because: adding personal comments

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 11:47 PM
link   

"We believe there is evidence of [President Bashar] Assad’s use of chlorine"

Just like they believed that there were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq?

Well, then. The only solution is to invade their territory, I guess.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 11:56 PM
link   
The fever pitch of anti Assad propaganda will continue unabated till we have gotten ass deep in the phoney revolution we are promoting over there....We really need that pipeline to Europe.....

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 12:20 AM
link   
a reply to: absente

If it destroys this nation, Obama will have Assad. He will lead us to our death for whoever's agenda he is executing.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Assad doesn't need to answer to any accusations anymore....the US and others are bent on Syria's destruction by arming the rebels...Assad can rightfully give the world both of his middle fingers...and a shaft right up Obama's ass.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Whatever Assad is standing in the way of is gonna go down! It does smell like Iraq though for some reason, may it's the fictionalized accusations that seem to have no teeth from a realistic standpoint. I can't help but see the whole mess as moves on a chess board. Kinda makes me wonder if perhaps were no living is some sort of "Risk" game being played by bankers in another dimension. I'm also haunted some by the interviews I've watched with Assad. Now maybe my BS detector needs oiling but He comes across as fair enough dude? Then again so did McDowell playing Alex?
Blurp!.
edit on 19-9-2014 by minkmouse because: had to

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Assad just crossed that line in the sand. He used chemical weapons. weapons of mass destruction. Probbly has a lot hidden somewhere too.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 01:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: AreUKiddingMe
Assad just crossed that line in the sand. He used chemical weapons. weapons of mass destruction. Probbly has a lot hidden somewhere too.

Don't tell me your actually supporting the rebels and are believing this story.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 01:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: stirling
The fever pitch of anti Assad propaganda will continue unabated till we have gotten ass deep in the phoney revolution we are promoting over there....We really need that pipeline to Europe.....

Pretty much you nailed it.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 01:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Agent_USA_Supporter
It was meant to be somewhat ironic. I wouldn't know who is who right now and who to arm and train. Seems like a lot of terrorists are using US military gear and vehicles.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 01:47 AM
link   

I believe this press release adds more validity to the story, it comes from the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons..

www.opcw.org...

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Yes the timing is delayed ... they were using sarin gas over a year ago. Where were they then?

poor children.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 02:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: AlphaHawk

I believe this press release adds more validity to the story, it comes from the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons..

www.opcw.org...

No, it doesn't ... it's just a propaganda mouth piece ...

There is no discussion on the "gas" properties, where it was manufactured, etc. It's called "toxic", and is just being used as an excuse to attack syria. When, someone like Kerry and Obama, start to look for excuses ... you have to stop and think.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 02:14 AM
link   
a reply to: bjarneorn

This is propaganda?

The FFM’s report presents the key findings from dozens of interviews with victims, physicians, first responders and eyewitnesses to the attacks, together with a considerable amount of documentation such as video, medical records and other evidence collected since the publication of the FFM’s first report in mid-June.

Granted, the report hasn't been made public, but they're big claims to just make up..

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 02:36 AM
link   
a reply to: AlphaHawk

Your article refrains from mentioning who was behind the gas attack, which is the key issue here. It just says they have good evidence that an attack did happen, that doesn't mean it must have been conducted by the Assad regime. Assad gains nothing by terrorizing his own people, all it does is make the west come down on him even harder and gives the rebels more support and funding, which will only speed up his downfall. Unless he is the most stupid person on Earth, there is no way Assad would gas his own people. It is FAR more likely that the rebels are the ones committing chemical attacks, there is a large amount of evidence indicating the rebels carried around the Sarin gas attack last year. On top of that there is countless videos on the internet showing the atrocities committed by these so called freedom fighters. They are highly racist extremists seeking to implement Sharia law in Syria and everywhere else possible.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 02:55 AM
link   
a reply to: ChaoticOrder

The June report, found HERE, also refrains from claiming who carried out the attacks, but it does mention that the Assad Government maintains that the rebels are the ones that used chemical weapons.

Strangely though, they say that they have no records of anyone being hospitalised from a chemical weapons attack, but that rebel held hospitals had been excluded from their enquiries. So the OPCW found that chlorine gas was used, that there are victims of these gas attacks, but the Syrian government has no reports of hospitalisations?

So, the logical conclusion is that the victims are at rebel held hospitals..?

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Okay let's not transform this thread into a debate who used chemical weapons in the past and so on, there are enough of those threads on ATS and I am not going after flags or stars. No matter how you twist it, both sides committed war crimes.

I think in this particular case the timing of that report is more relevant, especially when following the timeline of recent speeches by Obama regarding Syria and the IS and so on as well as the development in the Ukraine.

Signing a "peace-deal" and giving those two regions almost autonomy, while at the same time taking an offensive at Syria is no coincidence. I suspect that Ukraine was the bargaining chip for Syria, but we will see how this will turn out.

It's a shoe that perfectly fits.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   
A scenario like this was predicted. The US gov is going to get rid of Assad the same way they did Saddam. This is all planned by the real evil doers. And they have done it by-way of their very own agents calling themselves 'IS'. Next stop: Iran. All of this is for Israel and oil and strategic positioning. Ukraine was another coup by US Zionists. Who do you think sits on the board of that pipeline there??? Ukraine will be the next Israel. US taxpayers will be giving billions every year to them. Not to mention, military stuff. The world is catching on. It's only a matter of time before the world unites and gives the US a "regime change".

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: bjarneorn

No its not -

From the OP source article 0

Earlier this month, the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) – the world’s chemical watchdog – confirmed the “systematic” use of chlorine as a weapon in war-torn Syria.

and

Damascus promised to hand over all its chemical arms, and tons of chemical agents have been destroyed by international monitors.

Syria did not have to declare its stockpile of chlorine under the disarmament deal. Chlorine is a weak toxic agent that can be considered a chemical weapon if used in battle, but the material is widely used for commercial and domestic purposes.

International diplomats told Reuters this week that Syria had revealed a previously undeclared research and development facility and a laboratory to produce ricin. Those disclosures appeared to support Western allegations in recent months that the Assad regime had not been fully transparent in detailing its chemical weapons program.

Even better is Russia tried to have Syria removed from the agenda at the UN with regards to IAEA inspections, specifically dealing with the destruction of a nuclear facility destroyed by Israeli airstrike back in 2007. The facility was geared to produce plutonium.

a reply to: ChaoticOrder
The OP source is RT. Being that article does not state who used the chlorine gas tells me the Syrian government did. Russian media has never had issues claiming rebels used chemical weapons. The fact its not included is telling.
edit on 19-9-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join