It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Notice how more and more web sites are getting rid of the comments sections?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   
One of my favorite things to do after reading an article on any website is to read the comments. It feels good in most instances to know I’m not the only critical thinker.

But lately I have noticed more main stream media sites and even not so main stream sites have been either getting rid of comments all together or on certain articles.

I understand why they do it. They take all this time coming up with some pure BS and they cant allow some critical thinker to pick apart the holes or flaws in certain stories. Like with this suspected cop killer in PA. Or the beheadings of people over seas. Most companies will hide behind the ruse of not offending others with there comments. But we all know the truth. The average shmuck who doesn’t know better and thinks main stream media is the truth and nothing but cant have their opinion swayed by some guys critical thinking. That’s my rant. Thanks for reading.

Side note thats how I woke up.

edit on 18-9-2014 by PraetorianAZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: PraetorianAZ I have noticed this and it irks me. The comments are the best part of any article. Editorial, opinion pieces are especially bad for not having a comment section. I guess there's no room for debate.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Easier to control the mindless masses when you fully control the propaganda machine .. erm .. media ..
cant have people questioning the state or telling the truth .. it hurts big brothers feelings ...

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   
They thought they could steer the discussions with shills but came to realize they failed.

People are also talking on the street, at work, etc., there are now enough who are aware and point it out so people go search for themselves. It used to be there were only a handful, but now there are many more.

And you will always keep a certain part of the population who`s just too dumb to figure out what is really going on, and that`s something which will never change.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   
It's not so much the getting rid of a comment section that bothers me, it's that a great many sites have migrated over to only allowing comments via Facebook. I'm sure it's much more convenient and cost effective to do so but...

If one is not a fan of the Zuckerberg and chooses not to use his product, their voice is effectively silenced.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I've been noticing this for a while. It's interesting to see what various media companies allow comments on. It's not a blanket thing, it's very selective.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: slowisfast

If one is not a fan of the Zuckerberg and chooses not to use his product, their voice is effectively silenced.

That's exactly the reason they limit comments to Facebook only. Anyone that has a critical mind and does not trust Zuckerburg or Facebook is not the type of people they want commenting on their articles. It's an effective way of filtering out those types of people.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: slowisfast

Mark of the beast so to speak....

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Dailyhoax has been deleting comments lately and even disabled them in some articles.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Yes, I have, and the ones that seem most to be disappearing are the comment sections for big issues like foreign policy, war, middle east, etc.

I just posted a couple of days ago that this is one form of censoring or limiting debate. Too many people were posting critical comments about the government or mainstream narrative.

originally posted by: PraetorianAZ
One of my favorite things to do after reading an article on any website is to read the comments. It feels good in most instances to know I’m not the only critical thinker.

But lately I have noticed more main stream media sites and even not so main stream sites have been either getting rid of comments all together or on certain articles.

I understand why they do it. They take all this time coming up with some pure BS and they cant allow some critical thinker to pick apart the holes or flaws in certain stories. Like with this suspected cop killer in PA. Or the beheadings of people over seas. Most companies will hide behind the ruse of not offending others with there comments. But we all know the truth. The average shmuck who doesn’t know better and thinks main stream media is the truth and nothing but cant have their opinion swayed by some guys critical thinking. That’s my rant. Thanks for reading.

Side note thats how I woke up.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   
OP, have you contacted them and expressed your opinion?

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: CraftBuilder

No. Like they would even care though. Not worth my time. It would be like arguing with a possum.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   
It could just as likely be the fact that almost any comment section you go to now is populated by trolls, spammers (because you know it's awesome when you are trying to talk about SIP trunks and all you get are "by nikes for $20"

Sure..it could be some nefarious plot to control free thought (quick everyone get their tin-foil hats on) ..it could just as likely be something less bad than that.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Noticed it too. They don't want anyone discussing the information they feed us.

That or they'll delete the comments and write "Sorry we are no longer accepting comments for this article."

But if that's because they have a cut off time for comments I understand. If not it's to stifle criticism.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I think this is usually less about conspiracy and more about cost saving and deflecting liability.

Moderation costs money, and on controversial subjects comments can get quite heated. From a business perspective it is cheaper to remove comment sections entirely, especially on touchy subjects, than risk litigation, or having to spend considerable time and effort vetoing certain comments.

There should be more freedom on the internet, but the old adage of "a few ruining it for everyone" comes to mind, where particularly bad trolls would be the few.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 01:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA
It could just as likely be the fact that almost any comment section you go to now is populated by trolls, spammers (because you know it's awesome when you are trying to talk about SIP trunks and all you get are "by nikes for $20"

Sure..it could be some nefarious plot to control free thought (quick everyone get their tin-foil hats on) ..it could just as likely be something less bad than that.

Yeah, unfortunately that's part of it. I was reading a popular science site not too long ago. Any purely scientific article will get several people commenting on the science. But in the places where the science overlaps with politics, hundreds of obvious non scientists will come out of the wood-work to comment. Its like the sites are being scanned for keywords, and an army of commentors will just appear if the article is talking about certain things.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 03:54 AM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

I'm more apt to believe this to be honest...yeah it's possible there is a control aspect and I won't rule it out, but I have seen tons of websites and comments are all racist, sexist, offensive, foul and blah blah

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I noticed this a while back. The reason is because most of the comments disagree with whatever crap the article has in it. If it were just a few people disagreeing with them, then they would drown them instead of getting grid of the comment section.

At websites that have left their comment section up, they have mod's deleting comments like crazy. I noticed this at gaming website: IGN a while back. When they ran a story about Joan Rivers, most of the comments weren't favorable of her, so they deleted like crazy and left only non-critical comments. Quite pathetic. Either you praise her as a god or your comment gets deleted.

You'd think that these loons now feel isolated in their thinking that so many thousands disagree with them and their BS. lol

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme
Noticed it too. They don't want anyone discussing the information they feed us.

That or they'll delete the comments and write "Sorry we are no longer accepting comments for this article."

But if that's because they have a cut off time for comments I understand. If not it's to stifle criticism.

Some of the closed sections are cut off with a single day allowed of comments. 6 hours after posting the article on CNN they sometimes cut it off. Suspicious.

new topics

join