It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am sick of being poor.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Everyday I get up and i have to check my bank account. Do I have enough money for gas? Can I afford the extra cheeseburger at McDonald's? Why do cigarettes cost so damn much? I hate it. Where are the new technologies to end hunger? Where are the saviors of society swooping down in their grey cadillacs and buying bars out for everyone? I hate being poor.

Maybe I don't have it that bad. Some people have no housing or no money for food or the worst they are ten cents short for that pack of cigarettes and the quickie mart clerk won't let them by. I have to make a bit of a joke out of this because if I don't I'll fall into a deep dark depression.

It just seems that everything has to be paid for. Maybe I'm sick of capitalism. I think I am. Society should provide for ourselves. Just like a family society needs to be the patriach and start paying for my life. Maybe I'm not even worthy of an extra thousand bucks a month. I still want it. Ya know I don't even want the extra money. I want # to cost less. There is no reason that a cheeseburger should be $10.

So what can I do? What effort can I make to help the cost of everything come down? Nothing.

I am helpless.

Just like everyone else there is nothing i can do. The man selling his cheeseburger for $10 at his boutique smiles and waves as people walk by. The cadillac dealer smiles and waves as cheeseburger salesmen but grey cadillacs. And they all go home to the bliss of not caring about any of the people they are selling their foods and goods to.

I went to college. I went and I got expelled. It's an industry where the degree doesn't matter anyway so i guess I made out good. It still put my $90,000 in the hole. Sallie Mae calls everyday! I don't have your money!!!! Tomorrow I won't have your money!!! Stop calling!!! Where the hell is the reset button.

The only thing I, and anyone, can do is wait. Play a video game and zone out. Tomorrow will suck but next week.... wow. Am I going to fall for that one again? Where the hell is the reset button?

But I do have hope. Hope and Change. heh. I guess that means I can have all the hope I want but if I do the same stupid # over and over nothing will happen. But if I make some change?

America needs to change. We are addicted. Oil. Do a little math. Look at the figures. See how much we actually spend as a nation on the world's oil supply. Oil makes gas. Gas feeds our cars. When we get there we feed our children. The entire time Big Oil is sitting at the buffet in Las Vegas saying, we can eat all we want. You see the symbolism.

I have hope that if America gets off it's oil dependency and finds workable energy sources for production and transportation... The we will have hope and change. Obama won't see it in office though. Too many Americans are sitting there playing their video games saying we got more oil let's keep using it. Procrastinating

I say we need to hit the reset button.

+7 more 
posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   
stop smoking eating mcdonalds and get a bicycle
edit on 18-9-2014 by haven123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: ChefSlug

Cut out CIG and McDonalds..you'll have a bit more $ and b healthier

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I hear ya man I really do.

It all comes down to will power though. No one is forcing you to smoke, no one is forcing you to buy anything really. I agree that we are addicted to these things though, we are bombarded from an early age with mcdonalds ads and more. You might even call it brain washing. But you have the power to change your life style you just don't see it, you can break the cycle.

edit on 18-9-2014 by Shepard64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Bob is an unemployed veteran
Born and bred in the South Bronx
He's living off the streets down in east L.A.
Residing in a cardboard box
Now he plays a little guit and he has a small dog
Searching for aluminum cans

And he hold on tight to his dignity

He was born into American Life
edit on 18-9-2014 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Damn you might as well put your ATS profile on resumes... Your stats are impressive.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Wages are stagnating and the cost of staples are ever increasing. Student loans are going to be the next bubble crisis. Too many kids are convinced they need to spend a fortune on a 4-8 year degree when really they'd be better off going to a tech/trade school for 2-3 years at a fraction of the cost. They come out with degrees in anthropology, art history and women's studies and have zero job prospects. I could ramble on but...

There are a lot of great ways to trim the expenses, just takes a little time and planning. Sometimes it may seem like packing your own lunch vs buying isn't really saving you much, but that is just one little change out of many that can be made every day. All the little changes can add up to big monthly savings. It's hard at first, looking for those saving opportunities and adjusting to new routines or new ways of doing things, but it's so worth it in the end. Savings tips could make a whole 'nother mega thread.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   

I smoke 5 cartons of cigs a month and it costs me a $50 to $60.

STOP buying packs and buy natural tobacco at a smoke shop and tubes. Roll them yourself! The machine costs $40 and it pays for itself the first month!

I showed a friend of mine how they could save over $3000 dollars a year by doing this and they were just too damn lazy to roll their own. They chose to whine and complain about how expensive cigs were! I guess saving 3k wasn't worth the inconvenience?

edit on 18-9-2014 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Try smoking a cheeseburger.
That should cure you of both vices at the same time.
Then ride your bike around town with a sign that says "Will smoke your meat"
You'll be rolling in money faster than you can say Tom Cruise.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Ditto on the smokes and McDeath.

What was your major?

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   

I can understand where you are coming from. I've been there. I worked my a$$ off to get out of that place. Instead of worrying about mcdonalds, I ate beans and rice, and the occasional fried egg. Instead of soda, I drank water and tea. I did everything I could to maximize the little that I had. And I made it through the dark times.

I'm still not 100% out of any bad situation, but I'm climbing out slowly...hand over hand. The biggest help though is not being angry about the situation, but being grateful for the things that you do have. When you start being grateful for what you have, you stop brooding on what you don't have. At least that is my personal experience.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I appreciate all the responses. They help.

I would stop eating cheeseburgers but the french fries cost even more.

I majored in Culinary Arts at the CIA

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   

why aint you cooking at home?

I'd think you could make a burger that'd destroy any McCrap all day
edit on 18-9-2014 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   
It's difficult to accept someone's statement about being poor when they are posting on the internet, with a car and a job...

Unless it is from the library where they walked and it does not seem that way here..

Add to that smoking and McDonald's and in some of the countries I have been in, you would be considered rich beyond belief..

Thousands of Vets that honorably served this great nation have no homes, no food, no decent clothes and people in other countries still have dirt floors..

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   

I majored in Culinary Arts at the CIA

Ah, very cool. What about some sort of idea where you have a service that services chefs?

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   

I don't really know where to begin with replying to this other than be more savvy with your money.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

He probably could, but have you seen the price of a pound of hamburger meat lately?

Hamburger Helper is no longer a poor man's meal.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Bybyots

Las Vegas has it down to a science.... Hookers.... chefs like hookers

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Good practical advice stop smoking etc. check out the wealth distribution of the US in the past 30 years, staggering.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
What i am gathering from this thread is that the key to not being poor is to not eat mcdonalds and don't smoke.

2 super easy steps to get out of poverty! Economists hate him!

Seriously though, spending $20 a week on a cheap burger and a pack of smokes should not be a make or break decision.

The problem is not the burgers or the smokes, its the rising cost of living and the falling wages. Anybody who says differently is just trying to validate their own measly existence. Working 40+ hours a week and barely having enough to survive is not acceptable. The moment we just accept it and focus on staying positive while getting crapped on is the moment we, as a society, lose.

Screw this feel good crap, get angry, get pissed off, demand living wages and never settle for less. The more people that stand up and refuse to accept the table scraps we are offered, the sooner the working man will be able to actually relax for once and not have to constantly worry about the next rent payment, or where the next meal is coming from.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join