It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Green Chile Carrot Cake

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   
OMG! I heard about this on a local channel (New Mexico) and knew that I had to try it! Unfortunately, there were no recipes on the Internet that I could find. So, I did a little research and put together a recipe that is gluten-free and lactose-free so my husband and I could both have some for my birthday. It was DELICIOUS! It tasted like a regular carrot cake but with a ZING! in the end. It's really amazing and not too hot.

We have wonderful, hot Hatch Green Chiles in our freezer and I just used a couple of them, processed them into a paste and added that to the cake mix. I'm SO happy I tried it! I advise using walnuts and a little pineapple in the cake to make it very moist and delicious!

So, next time you make carrot cake, if you're feeling brave, add a can of hot green chiles!

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

So, next time you make carrot cake, if you're feeling brave, add a can of hot green chiles!

Hmmm. I don't know that I'd want to do that to a whole cake, yet. I think I'd rather have a bite of yours!

edit on 18-9-2014 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   

This sounds absolutely yummy! I love green chilies, love carrot cake. This is one I'll have to try, thanks.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   
A little hot with sweet is wonderful! I love candied nuts dusted with chipotle powder.

I'll have to try this carrot cake with green chiles. Sounds right up my alley.

Happy Birthday, by the way.

edit on 18-9-2014 by kaylaluv because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   

I wonder how a Xmas karrot kake would taste with both red and green?

Or zucchini bread, , or meatloaf, my GF the asparagus farmer, has an "Enchantment sauce" that wins prizes every year at the

www.fieryfoodsshow.com...

Happy Birthday!!
edit on 18-9-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
I wonder how a Xmas karrot kake would taste with both red and green?

Sounds "enchanting"! Decorated with icing in the shape of red and green chiles! Are you kidding me??? Or a ristra! Love that idea!

Or zucchini bread, , or meatloaf, my GF the asparagus farmer, has an "Enchantment sauce" that wins prizes every year at the www.fieryfoodsshow.com...

I am going to try it in more sweet stuff. My meatloaf is always spiced with chiles.

Happy Birthday!!

Thanks for the birthday wishes!
edit on 9/18/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   

I already know without even baking it that my mouth is not worthy of how awesome this sounds.

How the heck did no one think of this til now?

How do you suppose a very lite sriracha-cream cheese frosting would taste on it?

Mmmm!

ETA: Yeah, it sounds like the sriracha-cream-cheese-frosting is a go...

The Foul Mouthed Baker (Caution! Cursing)

edit on 18-9-2014 by Bybyots because: . : .

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   

sweet and spicy are a staple of my household cuisine. May try this.

My sister makes some carrot cookies that, despite me not liking carrot cookies in the least, i can't help but eat compulsively. They have a touch of cayenne.

THis is something I am absolutely going to try.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bybyots
How the heck did no one think of this til now?

I know! When I heard it, something in the back of my brain recognized it as a natural and delicious pairing!

ETA: Yeah, it sounds like the sriracha-cream-cheese-frosting is a go...

I don't know if I'd put it on the carrot cake, but I may have to try that on something.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   

MMM, this sounds fantastic, and gluten free! Yayyy for me.

I've been experimenting lately with adding heat in unexpected ways. Last week I made a blueberry peach crumble and added a little cayenne pepper to the fruit. It turned out really good. Love an unexpected zing like in a deep dark chocolate fudge with cayenne.

Thanks for sharing this, I can't wait to try it!

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Mmmmm, that sounds really good!
I don't suppose you would be up for sharing your gluten free carrot cake recipe? It's one of the things I miss most, and if I make it spicy enough it would be all mine, haha!

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: woodsmom
I don't suppose you would be up for sharing your gluten free carrot cake recipe? It's one of the things I miss most, and if I make it spicy enough it would be all mine, haha!

Sure!

This cake is not very hot in terms of caliente, but it's kind of spicy in terms of cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice, so you may want to lessen those amounts if you don't like that flavor profile. If you want muy caliente, just add more green chile! Ole! I used fresh roasted chiles, but you could also use canned.

Also, this recipe makes one layer, so for a stacked cake, you'd want to double it.

Green Chile Carrot Cake
(makes one 9"square layer)

· 1 cup GF all-purpose flour
· 1 teaspoons baking soda
· 1/4 teaspoon salt
· 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
· 1 teaspoons ground nutmeg
· 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice

· 2 large eggs
· 1 cup sugar
· 3/8 cup grapeseed oil (or vegetable oil)
· 1/4 cup green chile puree (2 large green chiles, roasted and processed in processor. I mixed it with the oil for processing)
· 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

· 2 cups grated carrot
· 4-ounce crushed pineapple, drained
· 3 1/2-ounces flaked coconut
· 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

1. Line square cake pan with parchment paper; lightly grease and flour paper and sides. Set pan aside.
2. Stir together first 6 ingredients.
3. Beat eggs and next 4 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Add flour mixture, beating at low speed until blended. Fold in carrot and next 3 ingredients. Pour batter into prepared cake pan.
4. Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool for 30 minutes, then remove from pan, and cool completely on wire rack.
5. Spread Cream Cheese Frosting on top and sides of cake. (store-bought is usually GF)

Let me know how you liked it! Enjoy!

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Being that I am more a savory than sweet kind of person this appeals to me, I think it would make an interesting dessert. I make pair this up with some grilled peach salsa and a crisp brachetto d'acqui.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Thank you so much! Now I know what I'm doing with another bunch of garden carrots.

I have some Serrano peppers from the greenhouse, and maybe I will even be nice and put the pepper into some of the frosting so the boys can eat it too. Hahaha, yup that's what I thought, my husband is shaking his head and telling me how weird spicy carrot cake would be, haha.

I hope you have a beautiful day!

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: woodsmom

Green chules are typically colorado peppers. Much, much milder than serranos

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I don't know that much about serranos... I've never used them. I love NM green chiles so much, I rarely use any other kind. My Hatch green chiles are pretty hot, though. I have a VERY high tolerance for pepper heat after eating them for so many years. It would be a shame to make the cake and have it too hot to eat, though! LOL!

Edit: I see by the Scoville scale that the serranos are much hotter than green chiles. About 5 times... I don't know if I'd try them in this recipe. I would advise getting a can of Hatch (or other brand) green chiles, the HOT variety.
edit on 9/22/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Good morning! I know they are much hotter, thanks! I've grown a bunch in my greenhouse this summer and have some on hand. I'm the only person in my house who likes heat and so I grew myself some goodies this year.

Once I saw the post about the Siracha frosting, I thought maybe I would try the pepper in some of the frosting. It would add some nice heat and leave the cake safe for everyone. I was going to make it yesterday, but got glutened when we tried some store brand breakfast sausage. I will give it a try today and let you know how it goes with the hotter peppers. I doubt I will end up using the full amount either, I love the idea of this flavor profile. You and Benevolent Heretic have a good point about the cake being too spicy.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: woodsmom

If you like heat....this is a traditional family recipe of a family friend. His grandmother used to make it for Pancho Villa when she was a teen, and he would come to the area:

In a large sauce pan bring about 20 of those serrano's to a boil, boiling for a good 15 minutes (or until they are cooked and not firm). Drain the water (reserving a cup), pull off the stems, and scrape off any loose skins from the peppers. Put into a blender with 1/2 medium yellow onion, 2 tsp salt, and 6 cloves minced garlic. Squeeze a lime into the mixture, and if you are feeling frisky up there in Alaska add in 2 tbl fresh cilantro. Pureed it until it is a semithick sauce. If you need to, use some of the reserved water to thin it down. This is what we call "Salsa Verde", and is a hot commodity around here. If you want to cut the heat a bit, just add in a couple stewed tomatoes.

2lbs pork shoulder, diced. Pan fry until somewhat crispy. Drain the grease, pour in the liquid and let simmer for 5 minutes. Serve with refried beans (i like black, but pinto's are traditional), fresh tortillas, and plenty of cheese.

Sometimes we will toss some fideo in. This is basically angel hair pasta. The leftovers become the worlds best gravy for eggs in the morning. Just reheat and pour over eggs, with refried beans on the side.

FWIW, this is as authentic as you can get in the world of Mexican food.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
In a large sauce pan bring about 20 of those serrano's to a boil, boiling for a good 15 minutes (or until they are cooked and not firm). Drain the water (reserving a cup), pull off the stems, and scrape off any loose skins from the peppers. Put into a blender with 1/2 medium yellow onion, 2 tsp salt, and 6 cloves minced garlic. Squeeze a lime into the mixture, and if you are feeling frisky up there in Alaska add in 2 tbl fresh cilantro. Pureed it until it is a semithick sauce. If you need to, use some of the reserved water to thin it down. This is what we call "Salsa Verde", and is a hot commodity around here. If you want to cut the heat a bit, just add in a couple stewed tomatoes.

This is one of my favorite sauces. A few of the kitchen help at my one restaurant taught me the recipe except they liked to add a few tomatillos to the mixture. Either way, good stuff and it tastes great on everything.

edit on 22-9-2014 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Mmmmm! That would can up really easily too. That sounds awesome! Anything to warm up when it's -30F, haha! Thanks for this recipe! I honestly would have never thought to treat a pork shoulder that way, and it sounds excellent. I am going to make up the tomato sauce you posted up recently tonight, and as soon as my boy finishes his science I will be shredding carrots. It froze hard this morning for the first time and a cooking day is in order to warm up and use some of this garden pile.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join