It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ISIS - Disinformation Verses Truth And The Question "Who Benefits From Lies?"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: nenothtu

well the wolf is knocking.

So the question might be, are we asleep already, or is someone wanting to put us to sleep even now?

I'm thinking it's the latter because the knocking was loud enough to start waking us all up.
edit on 18-9-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: OpinionatedB

Just found this little article from the 15th....

ISIS eradicates art, history and music from curriculum in Iraq
www.cbsnews.com...

BAGHDAD -- The extremist-held Iraqi city of Mosul is set to usher in a new school year. But unlike years past, there will be no art or music. Classes about history, literature and Christianity have been "permanently annulled."

The Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) has declared patriotic songs blasphemous and ordered that certain pictures be torn out of textbooks.

Play VIDEO
Fighting ISIS: Former CIA deputy director on call to send U.S. troops to Iraq, Syria
But instead of compliance, Iraq's second largest city has - at least so far - responded to the Sunni militants' demands with silence. Although the extremists stipulated that the school year would begin Sept. 9, pupils have uniformly not shown up for class, according to residents who spoke anonymously because of safety concerns. They said families were keeping their children home out of mixed feelings of fear, resistance and uncertainty.

"What's important to us now is that the children continue receiving knowledge correctly, even if they lose a whole academic year and an official certification," a Mosul resident who identified himself as Abu Hassan told The Associated Press, giving only his nickname for fear of reprisals. He and his wife have opted for home schooling, picking up the required readings at the local market.

The fall of Mosul on June 10 was a turning point in Iraq's war against the jihadi group that calls itself the Islamic State. The U.S.-trained Iraqi military, harassed for months by small-scale attacks, buckled almost instantly when militants advanced on the city. Commanders disappeared. Pleas for more ammunition went unanswered. In some cases, soldiers stripped off their uniforms and ran.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: TerrorAlertRed

I can see those being banned - History until its been re-written, art and whatnot because its frivolous and they are trying to execute complete control and show they have it - later they will recant somewhat - sports for girls I can see them banning...

but not math. The math is where the whole story fell apart logically. And some part of the story they ran was very questionable, or they wouldn't have pulled it - and the CNN story was a different one than this one you just now posted.. different location and different affected subjects.

I had been hoping to see the flier they said ISIS had posted and distributed, but there was no flier shown anywhere - and CNN pulled the story so no further information could be had.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Danbones

The beheading videos I'm referring to are not the recent infamous ones, of which must dispute has been raised on this site.

You don't have to look far to find numerous and very graphic videos depicting ISIS doing their work.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: seabhac-rua

and uncut ones too. They don't edit everything that they put out. Only some of it gets edited.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Well, I recall last year reading an article somewhere about how the FSA had issued a fatwa regarding croissants in some Syrian town under their control, nobody was allowed to make or sell these kafir tidbits.

And another article about guitars being smashed in some other Muslim country.

The maths thing doesn't surprise me. It's all about making a statement: we are't like you, we won't be like you, you are infidels etc.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   

But how can one tell the difference between ISIS and Iraq Special Forces...and then you have, from what I can tell, what could be 'social street justice'.

The justice systems are soooo far apart in the Eastern and Western worlds.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   

The FSA is al-Qaeda led - the croissants in question were kosher jewish foods - so yeah... that's believable, music is forbidden still in almost every version of sharia - very very few scholars will disagree about that - so there is your guitars.

Math is different. If you recall - algebra came out of Muslim lands and Muslim centers of education. Math is entirely different than something seen as following the traditions of your enemies or breaking a forbidden part of sharia.

Muslims have a much different way of looking at things than westerners this is true - but another Muslim can tell what is too far fetched to be true, and something that could be true.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Just because you cannot tell, doesn't mean that no one can. There are many many many differences.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: seabhac-rua

The maths thing doesn't surprise me. It's all about making a statement: we are't like you, we won't be like you, you are infidels etc.

It did surprise me, for two reasons:

1) Arabs have always been big in maths - that's why we have "arabic" numerals, and

2) ISIS is reputedly a "fighting force", and as such should know the importance of maths to their cause - how are they supposed to sight in mortars, for example, without maths?

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Go and see for yourself.

The last one I saw clearly showed a young Syrian army guy getting decapitated by rebels, it was very obviously recorded just after the combat had ended. How do I know these guys were ISIS? That's what they do.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: nenothtu

Yeah I'm aware of the Arab/Muslim math thing.

I just don't think that ISIS or whoever are too bothered about showing the world they value intellectualism, they don't.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Intellectualism is much different than a basic necessity, which math is.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Maybe the math thing is a fabrication.

But why maths?

Hmmm....

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   

and we are back to why fabricate anything... what is true is bad enough.

So why fabricate even a small part? Perhaps... to be able to point later and say - none of it was true?

And then we are back to who benefits the most from the falsehood...

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   

If somebody did go to the trouble of making the maths story up I want to know why now!

It doesn't make sense, you are correct.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 07:29 PM
link   

And now you know how I felt since I read the story!

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Am I true in thinking that the originator of the 'maths' story is CNN? And this is the story you refer to in your OP that CNN retracted?

If so, then I should think that CNN are simply doing what MSM outlets frequently do, jump on the sensationalist bandwagon. And once it dawned on somebody at CNN that the idea of maths being banned by Muslims was ridiculous they withdrew the article, but as you point out, it was too late.

We've all seen it before, once the mud starts being flung it soon comes fast and in large quantities. At least CNN retracted the article(that is, if I've gotten this right!)

edit on 18-9-2014 by seabhac-rua because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Yes your are correct.

But my problem is the story from CNN isn't the only false one out there. There are many. So I asked the question where are they all coming from and why are they coming.

The falsehoods are starting to make many people doubt ISIS is even real - when they are our worst damn nightmare... in the end - these falsehoods can only benefit ISIS. They don't benefit anyone else.

And in the end, whether my theory that its ISIS themselves putting these falsehoods out there is true or not, verifying everything before posting a story is too important, because of who will benefit if we don't.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   

I hear ya.

My take on that is this: The recent Foley video, and the others, has drawn the attention of many ordinary folk(whether this is by design, ISIS's or otherwise, is another matter). These videos are traumatising, they bring the real world of violent murderous death into the homes of the viewer, they shake the reality of people who are used to quiet peaceful lives half the world away from the conflict in Syria and Iraq. More and more people are talking about ISIS, about their exploits, about their intentions, about their capabilities. The media bandwagon starts up. It's the new sensation, the President is talking about it. What's going to happen. And so on.

I really don't believe ISIS put this out there when I think about it now.

Have you seen this video?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join