It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does the queen have any powers to stop

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Scotland's independence vote? I know the Queen has constitutional powers she never utilizes. Could she dust off an old power and stop a 'Yes' vote?

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: thinline

They are largely symbolic.

She appoints PM's and can dissolve parliament, but not much otherwise. They can try that "Royal Prerogative" stuff too, but that wouldn't fly in 21st century Britain.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Not unless she wants a revolution and the removal of the monarchy.

Maybe not a bad thing considering who our next king will be.

Cody

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   

No and if she could I don't believe she would , as it is she hasn't even expressed an opinion,

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   
According to this guy, she doesn't.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: cody599

Say what you like about the royal family but at least they have sent their lads out into war zones while the politicians who start this war send others peoples children out there

What revolution would remove her if she stopped (and won't) Scotland independence? Any thugs who tried that would have the normal working man rolling up his shirt sleeves and belting them out this country

Scotland also have had talks about her being the queen of Scotland,so she won't

Last thing this country needs is dodgy presidents at least with the the royal family they keep neutral on politics even if old Charlie writes letters to them he keeps it private

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   
No she doesn't have that power. Though Charles is trying his arm by interfering in government matters so when he succeeds the Queen he will try for more power over government. in my opinion Charles is in the exact same position as his uncle (he was made to abdicate for the love of a divorcee) and he aught to be made to step down from the succession.

edit on 18-9-2014 by crayzeed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Whereismypassword

Say what you like about the royal family but at least they have sent their lads out into war zones while the politicians who start this war send others peoples children out there

I said nothing bad about the royal family, just that I don't relish having Charles as a king.

Any thugs who tried that would have the normal working man rolling up his shirt sleeves and belting them out this country

Not around here they wouldn't. The normal working man is a rare thing in these parts, I'm one of the few and grateful for it. They'd start a revolution tomorrow if they thought for a moment they could get away with it.

Cody

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
No she doesn't have that power. Though Charles is trying his arm by interfering in government matters so when he succeeds the Queen he will try for more power over government. in my opinion Charles is in the exact same position as his uncle (he was made to abdicate for the love of a divorcee) and he aught to be made to step down from the succession.

A very valid point crayzeed

Let's let Wills and Kate enjoy be parents first for a while though, I'm afraid though that modern society will just say "Meh so he's divorced, who isn't nowadays ?"

Sad but probably true

Cody

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   

the most damaging thing that she can do to a theoretical " independent Scotland " is :

decline to be their head of state

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Jesus! God help us if the tree hugger gets the job.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

I've got a few acorns knocking around somewhere just in case.

Cody

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Whereismypassword

What revolution would remove her if she stopped (and won't) Scotland independence? Any thugs who tried that would have the normal working man rolling up his shirt sleeves and belting them out this country

Scotland also have had talks about her being the queen of Scotland,so she won't

Last thing this country needs is dodgy presidents at least with the the royal family they keep neutral on politics even if old Charlie writes letters to them he keeps it private

Last time I checked, the House of Tudor was a farce; the monarchy have more of a descent line with the Germans and the real heir to the throne has been quietly paid off.

Hence why Charles said if Romania brings back the monarchy he's next in line to be King.

top topics

join