It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tracking Your Movements on Google Maps

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I just ran across an artical which mentioned this link:

accounts.google.com... lowup=https%3A%2F%2Fmaps.google.com%2Flocationhistory%2Fb%2F0

and thought I would pass it along. Just log in with your phone account number and watch your trail pop up. Could be some fun for a few idol minutes.

Specially for those who "don't care if 'they' are tracking me; I have nothing to hide."

Its not that someone is "tracking " us. Its just the idea that it is none of their business where I go or when.

Hope you all enjoy learning just how much can be found if you know where to look.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: teamcommander
I just ran across an artical which mentioned this link:

accounts.google.com... lowup=https%3A%2F%2Fmaps.google.com%2Flocationhistory%2Fb%2F0

and thought I would pass it along. Just log in with your phone account number and watch your trail pop up. Could be some fun for a few idol minutes.

Specially for those who "don't care if 'they' are tracking me; I have nothing to hide."

Its not that someone is "tracking " us. Its just the idea that it is none of their business where I go or when.

Hope you all enjoy learning just how much can be found if you know where to look.

Nobody is tracking you. You are tracking yourself with your phone. It's something you can stop doing by turning off your GPS on your phone.

It requires you to log in to see it so it's no different than assuming "they" are spying on your email. It's a tool and it's neat.

My only complaint is that it should be better advertised as it does come as a shock if you didn't know your Google tools could do that and they should have expected that many people would want to shut it off.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: teamcommander

I don't have location: history for at least 30 days. How I did that, I'm not sure. I did turn off search history on my preferences. That might have something to do with it.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: N3k9Ni

I don't have location: history for at least 30 days. How I did that, I'm not sure. I did turn off search history on my preferences. That might have something to do with it.

Having your GPS on so it tracks your movements in real time doesn't mean that it saves those in it's history. I think you also have to be logged into your Google account as well. And I thought search history just has to deal with what you search for on the internet. That it has nothing to do with what your GPS does.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

Yes, but the primary point being, with your phone number in hand anyone can gather more and more information about you.
With the increase in data storage capacity comes greater risks for the misuse of information. It has been shown time and again, once this occurs it becomes harder and harder to undo to return things to normal.

And like I said, its just none of anyone elses business. But, I must also note here that I don't even have a cell phone. I just want to make others aware of situations which may arise.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Flagged and starred from me

It's creepy and fascinating at the same time. They offer the choice of deleting all the history and yet it's a given that all that history will be backed up on google's servers. It's likely to backed up elsewhere too if Ed Snowdon's revelations are accurate.

I wonder if deleting it would remove the googlemaps history that remembers postcodes/zipcodes? That function is a great tool and I'd miss it.

Somewhere in google's T&Cs there'll be a clause that tells us they're recording/storing our every movement and we've all ticked the box that says we agree. At the same time, it's not like this function has been promoted or that my google account has a link that clearly lets me know they do this. That in itself is a shady business imo.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: teamcommander
a reply to: Cuervo
But, I must also note here that I don't even have a cell phone. I just want to make others aware of situations which may arise.

I'll explain how it works a bit better, then. Android is made by Google so the default apps and navigation are all handled by Google. If you have a Google+ account, it's pretty neat. It only tracks you if you have your GPS "on" which is what you do when you are using their map service to find places. So it's not so much they are tracking your whereabouts as it is they are tracking your usage of their software.

Think of it this way: they would track it no matter what and it's pretty transparent of them to straight-up give you access to what they see. I imagine this will be a native feature in cars pretty soon.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Even when I'm trying to use Google maps, as a map, it gets all messed up if I'm near my home.
It doesn't know how to do northern rural.
It usually tries to put my location dot about 3 to 5 miles away from my actual location.
Sometimes I'll go out to the garage or garden and the nifty app tells me it'll be 10 minutes to get home.

I think Google only tracks US citizens properly, they have a poor record of keeping track of Canadians.

I would likely be really nervous if I was American. They do seem to have far too much info on you guys.
Enough info for all sorts of nefarious business.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Is there a difference between phone number and phone account number? Because you said account first then phone number. You dont have to log in really just search up anyones number?

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aural

Is there a difference between phone number and phone account number? Because you said account first then phone number. You dont have to log in really just search up anyones number?

Which is part and parcel to what I am saying.

Of course, there may be some people who need to have their movements tracked. Maybe a "wayward" spouse?

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   

i'm sure there may be a way to track somebody via their own phone. i'm know they can mess with your cell to eavesdrop on your conversations, seen it on dateline, I think.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I believe it's completely possible to track someone through their phone, but that link did not work for me. My phone has my google account on it and just yesterday I used the "Maps" app to get somewhere. But it shows absolutely nothing here. Shame.

Maybe TPTB don't care about little ol' me...

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Google is leading technology movement with their search engine, maps, gps and driverless car demonstrations

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 06:02 PM
link   
When google announced they were going to allow the email accounts to be more public in March 2013, and even be able in some instances for emails to be in the search engine, I deleted EVERYTHING. And I had had a google account from the very beginning when it was invite only.

Once you delete, they never EVER let you come back with the original name/handle. They claim its out their server and blacklisted. Don't care. Don't even really do email anymore because of that. But most don't anyway, since they FB Myspace Twitter Pinterest all the time. I do none of it.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Okay so I tried it
Today, it was mostly accurate, it did show me backtracking in my travels in the middle of the day once, when I did not, but was pretty close.
The other days this week were spot on, except Sunday, it showed me at home all day, but I was out of town all day.
I may have had my location settings off that day
Intersting
X

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 10:43 PM
link   
at odd times when in bed with my ohone near a radio.
the radio with make funny noices.
some one it getting my data!

if I move the phone away from the
radio the sound gets weaker.

google store All your phone data.
who do you think the goverment help set up google?

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Absolutely. And that's why some of us have no phone, for a very, very long time.
second
tetra

top topics

join