It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ebola blood sold on black market

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   

The deadliest Ebola outbreak in history has killed at least 2,400 people in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone -- the countries most affected by the virus.

Thousands more are infected, and new cases have emerged in Nigeria and Senegal.

Blood from survivors, referred to as convalescent serum, is said to have antibodies that can fight the deadly virus. Though unproven, it has provided some promise in fighting a disease with no approved drug to treat it.

Ebola blood sold on black market

Only the other day i was wondering if this was possible after watching the TV show 'the last ship' where they discover a single survivor of a deadly pandemic and use her blood to create a vaccine and cure.

"Studies suggest blood transfusions from survivors might prevent or treat Ebola virus infection in others, but the results of the studies are still difficult to interpret," the WHO said.

"It is not known whether antibodies in the plasma of survivors are sufficient to treat or prevent the disease. More research is needed."

Read more: www.wdsu.com...

One of the biggest problems of using black market blood from survivors is that you cant be sure that its not infected with anything else like HIV.

edit on 18-9-2014 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   
One thing sure is you are going to get ebola from this blood even if you do survive it....

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: PhoenixOD
Also fraud. What's to stop someone from paying 100 kids 20 bucks each for giving a pint of blood, and turning around and selling them for 100 a pop as ebola survivor blood? Or murdering a few people and taking all their blood to sell it? It takes a very sick mentality to take advantage of desperate sick people.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: stirling

Sounds like zombies who need blood to survive, coming to you soon!

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   
There is really no limit to human stupidity..

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Assuming you get the cured person Ebola blood. I imagine scammers will be out in full force soon with bad batches.

How long before I get email spam about buying Ebola curing blood, cheap?

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   

But wait!!

If you act now, You'll receive a second vile of blood absolutely free!

That's right, two viles for the price of one.

Visa/Mastercard accepted.

Operators are standing by.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   

One thing sure is you are going to get ebola from this blood even if you do survive it….

Where did you hear that?

Survivors are no long infectious and the antibodies in their blood are gold for research.
Where did I hear the rumor that a survivors blood was what they used as serum to cure the two American doctors they brought back?

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69

But wait!!

Do I pay a separate processing and handling charge on the second vile? Deal breaker...

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
It won't take much to make this a very effective weapon. Hard to find easy to move and even if it does not kill it's sure to have a lasting effect. You could clear out a small city just from the panic. Also does not have the down side of radiation or having to wait be for the area is safe to move in and take. With all that logic it still does not make it a good idea moral wise, it would be unleashing a blind heartless horror on anyone in it's effect area.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Okay, that's it!!

I'll be heading back to my home planet.

You people are whacked, Lobotomize pumpkins for kicks, Shove stuff up a Turkeys butt then eat it, now some are selling tainted Ebola blood as a cure.

I want off this rock and pronto

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   

But wait!!

shouldn't that be

"blood-suckers" are standing by……….

PDUK

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   
So the Nigerian Prince scams are out the window? Ebola blood scams are in?

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: PhoenixOD

Ahh. Snake oil. 'Ya gotta love that entrepreneurial spirit.

Good catch. F&S&

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   

But wait!!

Slayer, man, you gotta turn that TV off right now!

So what about shipping and handling, huh? Yes it matters. I want to be fully informed.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   
When I saw the title to the thread my first thought was weaponization, not cure

I guess that's the way I think

But really that would be a terrorist dream wouldn't it, get a bunch of blood from 'infected' and somehow introdruce it in a public place, like the Rajneeshees did in the eighties at Salad Bars in The Dalles Oregon infecting people with Salmonella en.wikipedia.org...
Wow just think how effective that could be do that in a few different cities and even though the US government says it can handle an outbreak, with this tactic it would start in so many places at once that CDC would be going in so many different directions...well I don't think that's the kind of outbreak the Government is telling its people would be easy to deal with here

But hmm, since that's not what this thread is actually about, regardless of how I read the title.
I don't think I'd be willing to immunize myself by injecting the blood of a survivor sounds pretty risky
X
edit on 18-9-2014 by Xcouncil=wisdom because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   

But wait!!

What?
No shammy thrown in to clean up any spills??????

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

One thing sure is you are going to get ebola from this blood even if you do survive it….

Where did you hear that?

Survivors are no long infectious and the antibodies in their blood are gold for research.
Where did I hear the rumor that a survivors blood was what they used as serum to cure the two American doctors they brought back?

I've read a few times that ebola stays in the system for upto 3 months(?) after recovery.

The isolation of EBOV from semen 40 days after the onset of illness underscores the risk of sexual transmission of the filoviruses during convalescence. Zaire EBOV has been detected in the semen of convalescent patients by virus isolation (82 days) and RT-PCR (91 days) after disease onset [5, 14]. Marburg virus has also been isolated from the semen and linked conclusively to sexual transmission 13 weeks into convalescence [15].

The absence of EBOV infection in multiple tested urine specimens suggests that the virus may not be efficiently filtered in the kidney. Consequently, exposure to urine appears to be of low risk during both acute illness and convalescence. The absence of EBOV in the urine, low prevalence on the skin, and rapid clearance from the saliva in surviving patients provides some reassurance that the risk of secondary transmission from casual contacts, fomites, or the sharing of toilet facilities in the home after discharge from the hospital is minimal. This conclusion is supported by previous empirical observations [5, 6].

Abstinence from sex or the use of condoms during sex, as well as avoidance of breastfeeding and contact with the mucous membranes of the eye for at least 3 months after recovery, are still recommended to avoid possible exposure to EBOV in the aforementioned immunologically protected sites.

Link

Also, i believe it was Dr Brantly that was given a serum(?) from a recovered Boys blood.

On Thursday Brantly was given a shot at survival: a 14-year-old male Ebola patient who had been under Brantly’s care, and survived, donated a “unit of blood” to Brantly, according to Samaritan’s Purse President Franklin Graham. “The young boy and his family wanted to be able to help the doctor that saved his life.”

The idea—novel, though not unprecedented—is that the blood (plasma, in medical parlance) of a survivor, full of antibodies proven to be strong enough to fight off the disease (i.e., immune), when transfused into an infected body, might help that body become immune itself. Though it sounds a bit like something Hollywood might have cooked up, there’s some science behind it—and an historical precedent that offers hope.

Link

edit on 18-9-2014 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Hey it worked in that Will Smith movie with the zombie Apocalypse set in New York....you know the one I mean, cannot think of the name.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join