It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Witcher 3 anyone?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Septimus

The story line of the Witcher didn't appeal to me. I guess I am just a jaded 30ish lesbian and I am tired of the same ol'.

Looking forward to games like Dragon Age and others that have fairly strong story lines that someone besides a straight male can get into. Not saying that other people can't play that game and enjoy it, everyone's different in their playing style. I am just stating how the first game didn't appeal to me personally and why.

It just reminds me of another pumped up steroid looking main character. I crave more female characters that aren't lame. In games and media in general those type characters are few and far in between.

When it comes to RPGs I really appreciate some of the recent games in that they let me play a character that is more related to me, even if in a game like Skyrim it's completely superficial.

I wish these games had existed when I was a teenager. Certainly some lonely moments prior to meeting my first gf. It's crazy how quickly things have changed.

Either way, to wrap up...no Witcher for me. I will gladly be looking forward to Fallout 4 though!

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Same here really looking forward to this game, so far pretty much all newer games have been various shades of disappointment. Its either that, or I must be getting older and not as impressed or into videogames, but nah! Case in point Destiny? Well now that I got to mars, and did all that, and found out that's all there is, it really is just half a game, it just leaves you asking "where's the rest of it, this cant be all".... But it is all. and even the first Halo had more story and content in it then this game which supposedly has been in development for so long. Far to many games and game developers try to aim for something grand and fall short now a days. I supposed there all just running out of ideas and concepts, who knows why but its been getting pretty dry in the gaming world.

The second witcher game was a really good game, seeing this game is the third and last installment in the series, I for one hope it goes out with a bang. Seeing its bigger and badder then the second game, in every aspect, here's hoping that it will deliver. They say that if you do all the quests or things you can do in the game its supposed to be easily over a 100 hours of content, and the world is supposedly 3x bigger then skyrim was. But that does not mean much if it has no real content but more fetch quests, or if its the same old same old storylines which have been rehashed for what seems like eons, so we shall see, plenty of other companies have hyped there games purely because hype sells product. I dont think thats the case with the Witcher 3, but you never know.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 02:44 AM
link   
a reply to: RomaSempre

Balders gate was just a dam gritty game compared to skyrim or any game really, even when it came out. I think dragon age 3 may be a good game, but I would not expect anything to grand from it. Really the way it looks now, making a remake of balders gate with full upgraded graphics may outsell and outperform all these new games which are supposed to be coming out. I hope thats not the case, but it does seem like everybody is just running on empty when it comes to the RPG storytelling thing, its like everything that can be done, has been done before, or at least in terms of story and content.

So now there just trying to glam and glitz most players with shiny graphics, but really if there is no real content its just not going to work. I for one hope companies come out with something because I will miss the genera if it dies, but I ain't holding my fingers crossed. It really does seem that they have just run out of juice in the creative and enjoyable engrossing storytelling department, in most games of that genera out today you can see the tumbleweeds blow by.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 03:07 AM
link   
a reply to: OrphanApology
Well jezz, lols a plenty.

First of all the storyline is based off the books, these games its pretty much just a continuations of them. Its also why like most RPGs out there you cant create your own character or gender, because the witcher games there just tells the tale of Gerald of Rivia. If your playing this game because you want to play a female main character or other such things, it is the wrong game for you. Even this third and last installment is just basically the last installment of the story arc of the witcher, ie the wild hunt the finnaly. And while there is or will be a strong female lead introduced, 3 to be exact to different tastes I suppose as well, but anyways its the premise of the third game that your searching for her and find out what really happened years ago.

However its still the story of Gerald of Rivia. Its not like skyrim or mass effect or Dragon age or most other RPGs out there were you can choose a hero or class or even a gender. People have been complaining about that for years, but they dont get it, this game is just basically the followup to the witcher storyline and books. So really even if the developers wanted to do something else or introduce a character creation beginning menu they couldn't because of that reason, and because they would need to change up the whole plot and pretty much everything else about the game just to suit peoples whims in charter creation. So while the world may be a sandbox, the storyarcs are pretty much set in stone.

You may want to try the dragon age game that is coming out in a few months, it will likely be more your tastes and fancies, in the other dragon age games, you could even get your charter to get freaky with all types be they male or female or even elf or dwarf, and whatever else may tickle peoples funny bones.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: galadofwarthethird

I would LOVE to see a remake of Baldur's Gate with today's graphics and technology. In fact, I would throw Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 into that mix as well. Part of the problem is that licensing for 'official' D&D products is quite expensive which is why Bioware and Obsidian have developed their own worlds and rule systems.

On a side note, I've read somewhere that there's an initiative to redo either Oblivion or Dagerfall using the Skyrim engine.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: OrphanApology

Admittedly, the gaming industry hasn't been kind to women in regards to strong female characters. Seems most of the time it comes as a 'secondary' choice type of deal. While I can't agree with basing your gaming selections on sexual preference, I can agree with identifying with main characters. I like Geralt because he's a wandering type of fellow just trying to find peace and answers in life. I can really identify with that. The scenery, fighting, and other cool things you can do are just pluses to me. I don't think it's fair to dismiss him as 'another pumped up steroid looking' character simply for the fact that he's none of those things. He's just a dude looking for answers and dealing with the problems that get in his way. It's no different than the Metroid series with Samus finding her way through her experiences. (Hated how they ended the Prime series though).

a reply to: galadofwarthethird

Indeed, and they expect Destiny to last up to 10 years after it's release. I'm unsure of whether they really expect the PvP and harder story missions to keep you that occupied or if they just think everyone is really that stupid. I am curious what they mean by 'a different game' after level 20, as the light leveling system is intriguing. They could very well still surprise us and release tons o' content soon just to see who remained faithful. I'm not that familiar with Bungie and how they roll, but that's a possibility if they've done it in the past. Just feels like this thing is a huge experimental project. Level 20 might just be boot camp for all we know.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Silicis n Volvo
Have you played Elder Scrolls: Oblivion? I don't know why but I still like it more than Skyrim.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Forget that, I really dont want to see a redo on Oblivion, and I never even played dagerfall. Oblivion for its time it was an alright game, that came and went. Balders Gate however, I suppose it could be done, but it was just one of those games that sort of came at the right time and place, I really cant say that it would translate all that well in this day and age even with completely revamped graphics. Really like I said, I think they have just run out of ideas and stories, it seems pretty much every storybased game out there is just a different rehash on the same old thing. Its kind of like hollywood, every genra of movie has had its day. And now? Well now we get plenty of comic book movies.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Unless they do some serious upgrading and the DLCs are pretty much games unto themselfs. Then I think there is a reason why bungei pumped so much $$$ into commercials and the glitz of marketing. And i think that reason is because they knew they had no real content.

I tried to like Destiny, and it may be that in the updates things really pick up. But for what it is now, its half a game. Even the halo series you had more then that, I would at the very least expect the story ark to lead to the traveler or other planets. And even the planets which you can explore now seem tiny you can literally finish them all in a few days if you have that kind of time. I was even hopeful that once you get to mars things will pick up, but it pretty much just ends, even the fact that your little robot pall ghost is Peter Dinklage is mostly a meh thing, he was good in the game of thrones series, but as a voice in a videogame its purely a novelty item and really the acting and storyline and plot in Destiny, well it sucks, a 10yr old could have come up with better dialog, and it is the same old things over and over, all of which has been done in the past Halo games, and done much better.

Unless there is something on the horizon which really gets this game going, then I think we pretty much have gotten hyped and ripped off. Makes you wonder what the hell did bungei really do with all that time that they supposedly spent creating this game, the latest halo some years ago which was made by 343 industries was much better, had more content and storylines and it was all made in a fraction of the time. The only thing Destiny has over it is that some of the maps are just a bit more expansive and sandbox type gameplay, but even that from what I remember in past Halo games is only just barely passable. So really the only question remains...What gives? I do believe there is a reason why sometimes companies pump out more $$ in marketing, to give out the illusion that there is more there then there actually is. Pretty much like every other product out there. So ya I think this is called pulling a fast one for quick sales, so unless the DLCs are really something else tantamount to being whole games in themselfs, then we basically just got taken for a ride. A short one at that.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: galadofwarthethird

Balders gate was just a dam gritty game compared to skyrim or any game really, even when it came out. I think dragon age 3 may be a good game, but I would not expect anything to grand from it. Really the way it looks now, making a remake of balders gate with full upgraded graphics may outsell and outperform all these new games which are supposed to be coming out.

I have not played it but didn't Beamdog already make a remake of Baldurs Gate and Baldurs Gate 2.

The successor to Baldurs Gate is going to be Obsidians Pillars of Eternity. It is being made by a bunch of the guys who made Baldurs gate. That is as close as we will get to a modern Baldurs Gate. The owners of the dungeons and dragon IP will never make another RPG like Baldurs Gate. They might make one that is like Skyrim which would be cool. But not a four party turn based with pause game.

Also since you like Baldurs Gate. There is also Tides of Numenera which is the spiritual successor to Plane Scape Torment which was another infinity engine game like Baldurs Gate.It is made by Inxile which has some of the guys who made Planescape Torment working for it. If your a fan of the Original Fallout games. Inxile also made WasteLand 2 which just came out. The original Fallout was the spiritual successor to the game Wasteland. Now Wasteland 2 is the spiritual successor to both the original Wasteland and Fallout 1 and 2.

Another good RPG out now is divinity original sin. Most of the games I have mentioned were all Kickstarted. Thanks to Kickstarter there are a lot of really good old school RPGs like Baldurs Gate out now or coming soon. All these games have modern graphics but are in the style of the older RPGs being made by the guys who made those older RPGs. Its quite a little renaissance that is going on.

I can not wait to get my hands on all those game and Witcher 3. I love the old school and the new school.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: karmicecstasy

I looked pillars of eternity up on youtube. I think I seen something of this before, though its not exactly what I had in mind when I was thinking if there going to do a complete remake of baldurs gate. What I had in mind would look closer in terms of graphics and world to Skyrim, it can be done, but if your going to be putting that much effort you may as well make a whole new ip's. Its cool what there doing, but I had something else completely in mind. And anyways its like I said before, most of that is specific to time and place, while it would be cool to do a baldurs gate, really only a few would really enjoy it. And the rest who played Baldurs Gate would just bitch about how it does not capture there original game experience they had. But for that you know, you would need a time machine.

I guess its just that the old tirade on these sort of games has finally dropped. And while its cool that people are kickstarting there own games, its a bit nostalgic and cool, but the feeling its kind of gone by now. Personally right now only looking forward to a few games. The wither 3 being one and likely one of the best, but in the whole RPG department there is Lords of the Fallen which may be pretty good coming out next month, and then there is the new Dragons Age Inquisition game after that, then I think the new lord of the rings game, all of which would have there selling points. But there is also the new bloodborne game coming out for the ps4 in feb of next year, and then the witcher 3 is scheduled to release.

So really there still is a lot of games coming out these past months into the beginning of next year, enough to satisfy all fans of the whole RPG genre, that and plus whatever else is in the making or cant think of at this moment. Though you got to admit outside some games, its getting pretty dam repetitive out there, especially in the story driven/RPG games department, and the best games that were most intriguing were games that had little story or it was left to the imagination and the player to pick it up.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Fylgje
a reply to: Silicis n Volvo
Have you played Elder Scrolls: Oblivion? I don't know why but I still like it more than Skyrim.

Yeah played that a long time ago when it was out. Think it was 10 years ago damn that makes me feel old.

I think I prefer Skyrim but both were awsome. As was morrowind. Elderscrolls online not so much.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   
In this latest video teaser the team behind The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt introduce us to their favourite parts of Geralt's world.

I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas only Christmas is after Christmas .... if you know what I mean.
Roll on Feb 2015.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Already got my pre-order wrapped up and ready for Steam delivery. Gaben will be good to me this/next year. It'll be the gift I gave myself, but might have forgotten about by then... like an ass kicking time capsule.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   
If anyone's still wondering about picking up the new LOTR game, Shadow of Mordor, while we all wait for Witcher 3 to come out in February, the new LOTR game is getting pretty dang good reviews.

IGN - 9.3/10
Polygon - 9.5/10
Gamespot - 8/10
Joystiq - 5/5
Escapist - 4.5/5

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: buni11687

At first I wasn't impressed by it, but the more I look at it, the more attractive it seems. That... and I've been pondering my painfully lacking PS4 library as of late:

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   

A new trailer has been released of the Opening Cinematic for Wild Hunt , only a couple of months left to wait.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   
CD Projekt Red have announced The Witcher 3 has been delayed again , now expected May 19.
Frustrating news but I'm prepared to wait while the Devs finish the game rather than wait for patches for a broken game ...looking at you Ubi.

Open letter from CD Projekt

Dear Gamers, May 19th, 2015.

Ever since we started working on The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, we knew it would be an ambitious game. We wanted, and still aim, to give you an incredible experience, an epic adventure in a vast, completely open fantasy universe.

The sheer size and complexity of The Witcher, key features of the title, have had a decisive impact on production. Now, nearing the end of our work, we see many details that need to be corrected. When we release the most important game in our studio’s history, we must be absolutely sure that we did everything we could to limit any bugs to a level that will allow you to enjoy the game thoroughly.

With this in mind, we took another look at current workloads and what they mean for the team. Even though everyone is working at full speed, we concluded that we need another 12 weeks, so we are shifting the release date of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt to

We owe you an apology. We set the release date too hastily. It’s a hard lesson, one to take to heart for the future. We know what we want to do to make Wild Hunt one of the best RPGs you will ever play. And we continue to work hard to achieve just that. So, we apologize and ask for your trust.

Thank you for the all support you show us on a daily basis. We truly do appreciate it. It has fueled us in our passion since the start and will continue to do so.
www.gamespot.com...

edit on 8-12-2014 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Gamespot UK have been given their first hands on with the game and the first impressions are very positive.

New Gameplay videos.

May 19 is So for away but I'm sure the wait will be worth it.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 11:19 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex
Well the game even though delayed to May 19. Looks good I have to say, they have been saying that this is the last witcher game. So its bound to go out with a bang.

And all the videos look like finally they will tie in all the story lines, Ciri and Yennefer and the wild hunt and all. So the only thing I can say....Let the wild hunt begin. This game is gonna kill more time then I will likely have by April, its to bad its not coming out in Feb like originally scheduled. But I cant really complain as the more dev time it has, the better and more complete the game is going to be.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join