It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Halley's Comet Linked to Planet Cooling 1,500 Years Ago... Great Science !

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Did a search by the title of the article and found nothing. This finding is a bit of a surprise and IMO good detective work in science.... interesting in that you have to wonder how many other events in earth's history have been caused by unknown impacts. Could something else be responsible for the findings such as your average run of the mill space rock that struck during the same time period as the Aquarid meteor shower....maybe ... either way enjoy and ponder the possibilities.

Evidence comes from the analysis of an ice core pulled out from a layer of ice in Greenland dated between 533 and 540 AD. The core contained huge amounts of atmospheric dust, not all of it originating on Earth. The dust had high levels of tin, which is characteristic of a comet. Since it was deposited in the Northern Hemisphere spring, researchers believe it came from the Eta Aquarid meteor shower, which is associated with Halley’s comet.

But that is not all they found. Within the ice core were also tiny tropical marine organisms, suggesting that the comet fragment landed in tropical ocean and blasted the organisms all the way to Greenland.
- See more at: www.ancient-origins.net...

www.ancient-origins.net...

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 07:09 AM
link   
This part

But that is not all they found. Within the ice core were also tiny tropical marine organisms, suggesting that the comet fragment landed in tropical ocean and blasted the organisms all the way to Greenland.
made me think that a possible other explanation might have caused it . Those funnels that suck water up from the ocean may have also placed the organisms in clouds that transported them there .If it was a impact then that would have been very powerful to say the least .neet story though . a reply to: 727Sky

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I heard about the comet impact doing this back about three four years ago an the AAPS conference. They had lists of all the written evidence from the past. This does show about where they think it hit which differs from a hit they assumed was near England.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 07:34 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

There's some speculation that the European Dark Ages were caused by a comet; Alan Wilson has some good ideas about this, where he considers that the Arthurian legends may have been trying to convey this story.

Great article you've linked, which might confirm some of his theories

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Interesting OP but....

I don't believe mainstream science has a good grasp of comets period. To say that Tin is the proof of a link to Halley's comet seems really weak to me. Correlation only, not causation.

top topics

join