It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Health officials to board ship docking in N.O. tonight?????????

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   
FYI

NEW ORLEANS -- The Centers for Disease Control confirms that its health experts, members of the U.S. Coast Guard, and government epidemiologists will board a ship scheduled to dock Wednesday night in New Orleans East.

A state official told 11Alive's sister station in New Orleans, WWL-TV, this afternoon that the ship alerted state and U.S. health officials that three of the crewmen are sick.

The official says that a radio transmission from the ship reported symptoms that appear to be similar to malaria, an illness spread by mosquitoes.

www.11alive.com...

Starting a New Thread?...Look Here First

edit on Wed Sep 17 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count. Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread. If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events, or important information from other sites please post one or two paragraphs, a link to the entire story, AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item, as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: judydawg

The CDC released the following statement Wednesday afternoon:

"CDC received word early this morning about a ship that would be arriving at the New Orleans port with an ill passenger on board. US Coast Guard and EMS crews met the boat and EMS will be transporting the ill crew member to a local hospital for evaluation and care. The vessel's itinerary did include Matadi, DRC, in addition to other ports, but there is no evidence to suggest that the crew members traveled to, or had any contact with anyone from the remote inland region of DRC where Ebola cases are occurring.

www.kfvs12.com...

IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

edit on 17-9-2014 by judydawg because: no url

edit on Wed Sep 17 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: added, and then had to fix ex tags

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   
i would start with Dengue,,and throw a big net around the ship,,,what is the travell distance of the Average Mosquito???

no closer.

if it was me.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
The Zombie Virus!!!!

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: HomerinNC

They are casting people for the Walking Dead in Atlanta right now. LOL

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   
When I first read the headline, I thought it meant that the health guys were getting out of New Orleans!

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

I was just wondering why the CDC was alleady there? Uh NO you stay out in the ocean we will come to you. This is an African ship. But they promise it hasn't been near the infected areas of Ebola.

wgno.com...

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   

and the on board mosquito population,, sanitary conditions,, and cargo,, where mosquito can breed and survive for,,??? days????

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   

I had all the same questions. Plus CDC New Orleans emergency command center alerted? B
They don't even know what it is, right? And are the other crew quarantined until the results of testing come back?

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

Your guess is good a mine right now till we get more info.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   
The whole ship is going to be admitted to the hospital.

NEW ORLEANS, LA (WVUE) -
A foreign-flagged vessel making its way up the Mississippi River will dock in New Orleans Wednesday night, and all on board will be hospitalized, according to a source

Source

The ship was to head up the Mississippi River. Thankfully the ship captain had enough sense to radio ahead to notify officials.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: 2manyholes

Geez, that sounds dramatic. Especially since *supposedly* they don't know what it is yet? Can an urban hospital(s) accomodate an entire ship's crew in quarantine? Wouldn't it be better to off load them to a mercy ship?
edit on 9/17/2014 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   

That was my thought too, that it seemed drastic. I would think quarantining the ship would be easier, but perhaps they don't want to take any chances and feel the hospital is better equipped if it turns out that it is Ebola. New Orleans is very densely populated it would not take long for this to get out of control.

I'm also thinking that maybe in the hospital they are better able to keep the shipmates contained as opposed to on a ship.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: BobAthome

Hence the mention of the flying range of the mosquito. Lots of places to breed in the bayou. They could fly out to the ship, bite someone and then fly back, if it (the ship) is close to land.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: bbracken677

well thats not good.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   
It is a perfect place for a mosquito borne carrier to infect a lot of people. Still warm in the southern swamps too. Let's hope it isn't Ebola and isn't airborne. So for they haven't said Ebola is airborne, but a virus researcher in Africa said he thought it was already mutated to be able to pass airborne. However, that is not confirmed by anyone else that I have heard.

Of course any hemorrhagic fever in a populated place like N.O. would be bad. Is it just me or does it seem like the agencies in charge of handling things like this aren't exactly on the ball so to speak? It just doesn't mesh with one of the world's most feared viruses to be let run wild as long as it has in Africa. It mutated some 40 times in the first week or two, and last I heard was it would have a long way to go in a human host to mutate in the respiratory system so that it could be airborne. And being into conspiracies and the macabre desire of the elite PTB wanting to wipe out close to 7 billion people makes me extra suspicious of the way this virus outbreak has been handled thus far.

Maybe it is just me, but I don't like the idea of ships with sick crew going up river to the heart of our country. I would expect any ship from the Hot Zone to be quarantined offshore until they are shown to not be infected. Not letting a ship captain decide if they want to call it in that sick crew are aboard. Especially if the incubation period can be up to 3 weeks. They could be out in the US spreading the disease and be back aboard and leaving US waters before anyone knew anything was amiss.

edit on 17/9/14 by spirit_horse because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Looks like an update has been added to the op's link. Results are in, it is malaria.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Doodle19815

Thank goodness. But I do wonder if they would actually tell us if it was Ebola. And, should they still check for Ebola out of an abundance of caution? I also wonder how often incidents like this happen, typically?

This was what I found before you noted the update.

m.wdsu.com...

edit on 9/17/2014 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjackSorry I'm not all that cracked up about being exposed to malaria, another mosquito borne illness in a prime mosquito breeding situation.
tetra

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Honestly, I got lucky and came to the thread after the update. This Ebola stuff has me scared sideways. I just want to lock up my family and stay isolated until it passes. Obviously I can't, but I have been keeping a close eye on it just incase.

Would they tell us, I don't know. I would like to think they would. At least they gave some warning about this ship coming in. So many people take the approach of "it can't happen here" that it is scary. And like you, I question the logic of letting ships sail right up the Mississippi....

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2  3 >>

join