It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Theater shooting victim's parents sue ammo seller

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   

The parents of a woman killed in the Colorado theater shootings filed a lawsuit Tuesday accusing four online retailers of improperly selling ammunition, tear gas, a high-capacity magazine and body armor used in the attack.

The lawsuit alleges it was illegal and negligent to sell the gear to James Holmes, who is accused of killing 12 people and injuring 70 in the July 20, 2012, attack.

It says the companies had no safeguards to keep dangerous people from buying their goods.
"It was highly foreseeable to (the) defendants that their potential customers included persons with criminal intent, including persons such as James Holmes," the lawsuit says.

Theater shooting victim's parents sue ammo seller

Here we go again. Its very sad that we even allow cases like this to be heard in court. I feel for the victims family but this sounds to me like the lawyers are the ones driving this.

Why don’t we sue Coors for drunk driving accidents. Or sue Ford Chevy or Dodge for giving the killer a means of transportation.

Why don’t we just sue hostess for making people fat and diabetic.

Hell why don’t we sue UPS or USPS for delivering the ammo to the guy in the first place.

How stupid this is. Hopefully this will be thrown out quickly. Because anti gun nuts are salivating over this.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: PraetorianAZ

People like them makes the world of Idiocracy look like paradise.
edit on 17-9-2014 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Did body armor kill somebody?
They might file against the 7-11 that sold him a slurpy on his way to the theater.

Maybe the movie studio has a lawsuit against the family for not buying a ticket to the movie.

link   
they MIGHT have a case on the tear gas(pretty sure they dont sell that as easily as ammo) but as far as the ammo goes no they wont get far in the lawsuit. i mean if some one were to stab some one with a cutco knife do you get to sue cutco for making an efficient product that was miss-used?

link   
Am I correct in thinking James Holmes has not yet been found guilty?
If so, how can these people have a case?

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Precedent has been set that bars or retailers are liable if someone is intoxicated and they allow them more booze for damages caused by their negligence to cut off the person. Yeah. .08%. Sell someone one more beer and you could get sued by survivors of a crash fatality.

I don't know all the circumstances here, but if Holmes was not to be in possession of those items and was sold them anyway...I don't know I'd need to see everything.
I can't legally purchase weapons...I don't know if that means ammo. But if someone were to sell me a weapon and I used it, they would be negligent as well since they didn't bother to check.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

We have no idea what is going on with the case the Judge has a GAG order on it. Nobody is allowed in to see what’s happening. All we do know is he is pleading not guilty due to reason of insanity.

Isn’t it nice we can blast the OJ Simpson trial and others all over TV. But this one and others that highly circumstantial are gagged.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   
It is a frivalous lawsuit.

Basically anything that can be used in the harming or murder of another individual the manufacture/seller can be 'sued'.

Bats,knives, cars, prescription drugs etc

That is one hell of a rabbit hole to go down.

Which leaves us to the bottom line.

The 'Holmes', and other people who break that law that says they can't kill someone else are NOT, and never will be held accountable for their actions.

Those of us who have done NOTHING will always be.
edit on 17-9-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: the owlbear

If you are not allowed to buy weapons you can still purchase ammo. There are no background checks for ammo.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   
My prediction: This lawsuit will be thrown out of court. I can only hope that when it does, the judge charges the plaintiff for wasting the court's time.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Selling ammo is not a crime.....period. This lawsuit is a waste of time and money. I read this article and I noticed they are not suing the gun manufacturer or the person that sold him the gun. Walmart sells ammo in large quantities every day and so does Academy Sports. I saw on Academy's website where I can buy a "barrel" of ammo, 12500 rounds for 6K and they will deliver it to the store for pickup! I feel bad for these people who are suing in this case, they will not win.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   
In other news, MADD sues big oil for selling gasoline to drunk drivers.

I hope the lawsuit is thrown out and she is fined for bringing this kind of crap to the courts.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   

I get my rights back November 1st. I wouldn't think about committing any type of crime that involved weapons or ammo, but just getting the rights back is nice.

It amounts to publicity for whatever law firm stepped up for this. News is free. Fridge magnets on phone books and tv spots cost money. How much time will they spend on this case? If they win...they get half and publicity. If they lose, they get publicity. And people will forget why that name sounds familiar, but will remember it.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: PraetorianAZ
a reply to: VoidHawk

We have no idea what is going on with the case the Judge has a GAG order on it. Nobody is allowed in to see what’s happening. All we do know is he is pleading not guilty due to reason of insanity.

Isn’t it nice we can blast the OJ Simpson trial and others all over TV. But this one and others that highly circumstantial are gagged.

I'm in the uk so I rely on ats for news of whats happening elsewhere in the world. I couldn't remember hearing any verdict on the case and hence my question about whether he'd been found guilty.
I didn't know the case had been elevated to top secret! Has any reason been given?

Unless it concerns (genuine) national security reasons I think all cases ought to be public, how else can we know if they're playing by the rules.
As for the OJ Simpson trial, even over here in the uk it was all over the msm for months on end.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   

They are grasping at straws in their grief. Lets sue all the alcohol makers, and beer distillers, auto makers, and Ginzu knives makers for making and selling their products.

These parents are not only ridiculous, but stupid too.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: RalagaNarHallas
they MIGHT have a case on the tear gas(pretty sure they dont sell that as easily as ammo) but as far as the ammo goes no they wont get far in the lawsuit. i mean if some one were to stab some one with a cutco knife do you get to sue cutco for making an efficient product that was miss-used?

Even that is really stretching it. The "tear gas" sold by BTP Arms (keepshooting.com) is really just glorified pepper spray.
www.keepshooting.com...

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: AnonymousCitizen

ah i was thinking it was like a tear gas grenade or a tear gas round for a 37mm(i have a 37mm for the fourth of jully w fire work rounds) but every time i looked for 37mm tear gas it was restricted to law enforcement only,not to say it was illegal to possess it just that no store will sell it to you unless your police. i think you can find them on sites like gun broker but its a greay area id not like to explore personally as the firework rounds and flares do fine on the fourth for me

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk
Am I correct in thinking James Holmes has not yet been found guilty?
If so, how can these people have a case?

Because the paper will sit still for anything written on it. Anyone can file a lawsuit against anyone fpr anything. That's why there are multiple procedures for terminating lawsuits after filing.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

They are grasping at straws in their grief. Lets sue all the alcohol makers, and beer distillers, auto makers, and Ginzu knives makers for making and selling their products.

These parents are not only ridiculous, but stupid too.

There is a certain group of people who hate every lawyer excepttheir own, hate every lawsuit except the one they want to file, and hate every law except the one they love to break. And that group rails against lawyers and lawsuits and laws to hide their own complicity in the whole system.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   

This is just plain stupid. Guns don't shoot people, bullets do?

So if I get hit by a car, I can sue the gas station that sold him his gasoline?

So...if a restaurant serves me bad food, and I get sick, I can sue the trucking company that delivered the food to the restaurant?

If a guy stabs me with a knife, I can sue the mining company that mined the ore that made the metal that was used to make the knife?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join