It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My dog got run over by a car today [updated]

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+37 more 
posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   
My wife is out of town. Took my 18 month old boy and my dog Paka to the river this morning. Some guy on a big loud stupid Harley drove by revving his engine really loud for no reason. My dog hates this, and bolted off after the bike. He got hit by a car. I didn't see it, but I heard the thump. It was one of the worst sounds I've ever heard in my life.

Knew right away what happened. Figured my dog was dead. Then I saw him running full speed across the park, with a huge chunk of meat missing from his hindquarter. He stopped by the river and sat down. I had to run full speed with my kid in arms over to him, about a 500 yard dash. Saw the damage, picked up 50 lbs dog in one arm and 25 lb kid in the other, full sprint back to the truck. Haven't done anything like that since Iraq.

Got to the vet, got x-rays. Amazingly no broken bones that they could see. But his bladder may have been burst, in which case he may die. Also his heart is sitting too high in his chest, which could indicate pneumothorax, in which case he will have a heart attack and die. He needs a lot of stitches, but they can't anesthetize him till tomorrow, or he could die.

He has to stay at the vet overnight. My wife isn't here, her phone isn't working, I have no friends, I have to put on a happy face and read Dr Suess to my kid. Luckily he went down for a nap as soon as we got home from the vet, so I've had some time to cry alone in the garage.

I have absolutely no one to talk to about this right now, and no one to help me with my kid til my wife gets home, and I can't even reach her on the phone. So this may well be my last tribute to my dog Paka. Except for my wife and kid, my dog is literally my only companion. I don't have a single person to call or talk to right now. I just had to get this off my chest.

If he survives the next 48 hours, he should be OK. But the vet was very clear that he might not. I don't know what to do right now. I miss my dog. My kid was just getting to the point where he was figuring out what the dog thing is all about. He's been helping me feed him, he would run up to him calling his name and give him a huge hug and pat him. Now he might be gone and I don't know how to handle this.

I love you Paka.

UPDATED
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on Fri Sep 19 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   
So sorry to hear about Paka. Hoping for a speedy recovery for him! Keep your head up!

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: ZeroReady

Thats a good dog man. I feel for you. I wish the best.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
He looks tough...

He will make it. Think positive.

I watched my Heeler get hit years ago.

He lived 17 more years.

I'm real sorry....Sending a prayer your way.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   

I feel for you ZR, and for Paka.

He looks like a great dog. Looks like he's got some Lab in him. One of my best friends is a Black Lab.

I hope he'll be okay.

We'll have a better idea tomorrow.

Look after that beautiful baby and the vets will look after Paka.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   
What a beautiful, sweet boy. He looks like the kind of dog every kid dreams of growing up with. Hopefully with some rest, good vet care and lots of pampering and love he'll pull through. Keep us posted!

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Keep with positive thoughts. Hopefully he will pull through. They are tough little buggers. That sound you spoke of is ingrained in my brain. Heard it way too many times.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Oh man, my heart goes out to you and Paka, hoping for a full recovery! All the best.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I'm so sorry Zero. I just went through this last Friday with my eleven year old cat. His name was Elvis. I wasn't there to see it, my Mom called me at work to tell me that she thought she saw a black cat run over in the street. I drove home to discover my old friend lifeless.

I pray that you get a happy ending. I hate for people to feel the pain of loss. In some cases, it hurts more to lose a pet, they understand us, they comfort us, make us smile and laugh out loud, and they never need to say a word to do it. There is just something about silent companionship that a person can never provide.

Sending good vibes your way.

Boba

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Having a dog myself I feel your pain.. he is my everything

But have to say something you might not like...
Remember the ultimate gift for your dog is to have it leave this world without pain and good memories.
So I HOPE you will make the right choice, perhaps the hardest choice for you but the right choice for your friend.

Just saying because I see in my job that many desire to keep their dog alive more for their own sake then the dog..
Operations, medication and restrictions.. are always allot harder on our pet animals.. and often produce more pain on the animal and the owner then the accident itself.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Thank you all so much. My kid is waking up so it's time to suck it up and read Dr Suess.

I will post here as soon as I know anything.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   
He could be my girls' brother. I hope he can pull through! My thoughts are with him.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Oh Zero, I am so so very sorry. I know that there is nothing I could say that would the waiting and the worry any easier but I also know that many here have been there.

We may be here in virtual world but I have found ATS to be an incredibly compassionate family of sorts and if you need to talk you are more than welcome to send a u2u. I can't very well speak for others although I'm certainly not alone there I'm sure of that.

Lastly Zero I would say, when your sweet baby boy wakes up there is not a thing wrong with holding him close and even though he's far to young to understand your words, you can talk with him and express how much Paka means to you and how worried you are. It's ok to cry.

Sending healing thoughts your way,

Penny

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I'm so sorry, and will be thinking positive for him to make it through. Having lost too many dogs, in too short of time, I'm crying right now.

But since he still has hope, so should you! He sounds amazing! And is just beautiful.
Please keep us up to date.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spacespider

Having a dog myself I feel your pain.. he is my everything

But have to say something you might not like...
Remember the ultimate gift for your dog is to have it leave this world without pain and good memories.
So I HOPE you will make the right choice, perhaps the hardest choice for you but the right choice for your friend.

Just saying because I see in my job that many desire to keep their dog alive more for their own sake then the dog..
Operations, medication and restrictions.. are always allot harder on our pet animals.. and often produce more pain on the animal and the owner then the accident itself.

I wrote much the same thing in another thread
I hope OP understands your message.

Good dog Paka.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I was about 5-6 years old and was looking at a dog walking down a 2 lane highway in front of the trailer park we lived in when a car hit him going probably 50 mph. Everything went into slow motion and 45 years later I can see the dog going under, stiffening up and coming out the back along with the "thunk".

It traumatized me quite a bit and even now 45 years later when I see a dog crossing the road with cars going by I have flashbacks and just kinda freeze up till he clears the road.

Pretty bad for a kid to see.

Really good you didn't actually see him getting hit, it's something you can't "un-see".

Sorry to hear about your dog, I love dogs........cats not so much....(don't wish harm to them though)

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   

That is one agonizing situation. I hope it will turn out to the better, and hope you will find strenght and courage and can keep spirits on the positive side.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Why wasn't he on a leash?

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I hope that sweet little pup is okay
You just squeeze that beautiful baby of yours tight and all that love should help you feel better.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Hope everything turns out ok. I know how hard it is losing a pet and seeing them hurt and having to deal with it by yourself. Wishing speedy recovery for him and hoping for the best. Keep us updated.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join