It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could the NFL be taking violence out of the game to take the violence out of us?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
The product that more American's watch then any other thing on T.V.? The NFL?
A country where people are more and more disenchanted by their government? That's Us?
A Media that is completely minuplated by our government? That's us too?
So what is now happening with the NFL? You regularly shown on T.V. that the violence in the NFL is not o.k. Any particularly violent hit draws a flag, it is deemed wrong by the NFL. The news talks about concusions. We are now totally aware to what these people are doing to each other on the field. Every time someone smacks the terf, we are now all acutely aware of what it is doing to the person. And a lot of people thing " oh poor guy" instead of "yes kill him!!!" like football fans have in years past.

Is it possible, that the NFL which the government has it's hands in regulating, is taking the violence out of the sport, to take the violence out of us all? I'm not saying it's aliens? But is it? Another attempt at pacification?

Or are Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson just colossal duche bags, and football really is barbarically violent. Go Jets!

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Vaedur

Don't worry, your steady diet of abstract fear and hyperviolence will continue.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   
No.
The NFL is reacting to public pressure. To much bad pr from the sissy public.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: InverseLookingGlass

Yes I need my Hyperviolence! Ultraviolence if you will.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   
If the NFL is becoming "less violent" it's not because the government is trying to make us less violent. It's because of the legal liabilities the sport is now facing now that we are learning more about what the sport does to the player's health.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
No.
The NFL is reacting to public pressure. To much bad pr from the sissy public.

I think the athletes complain as well. It gets kind of irritating trying to have a career and make a name for yourself when you're constantly dealing with broken bones and concussions that take you out of the game.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
no
totally contradicts the rise in MMA viewership and coverage

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
No there is simply alot more evidence as to what happens physicaly..especially in concusions, with the types of imaging available these days, also some former players have expired and alot of damage to the brain is shown. Peterson and Rice did their crimes outside the game so not relavent.
The same with hockey..they have taken alot of the questionable hits out, and the fighting for the most part..I do miss the fights, to some degree it feels like the game has changed but its to protect the players, in some ways I think old school hockey was more violent than FB.
Cheers

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Is it possible, that the NFL which the government has it's hands in regulating, is taking the violence out of the sport, to take the violence out of us all? I'm not saying it's aliens? But is it? Another attempt at pacification?

I don't know but the stupidification seems to have worked.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Its all about politics and special interests intent on undermining the NFL and relegating US Football to a back seat to Soccer.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Yeah but meanwhile they are legalizing MMA.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   

If that happen Football will become a game of sissies, how about that.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   
hasn't it been a battle between having bigger and beefer guys trying to hit harder and the manufacturers of the kits trying to protect them from having their heads knocked clean off?, rugby over here in blighty is basically alot of the same thing just no namby pamby protection and still people get injured so i'm amazed in the land of sue everyone for everything its survived without billions a year going in settlements

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Not at all. They're only doing it because the public decided to use group mentality and go after them.

As for real issues the World Cup is on and how dare you distract me from these millionaires throwing balls.

Bread and circuses. Technology changes, human minds do not.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   
IMPNSHO, it's all about thought control.

First, you work up the sheepish masses to a state of moral indignation. You give them someone to collectively look down on. ("Everybody got to have somebody to look down on." ~Kris Kristofferson, Jesus was a Capricorn)

You focus the collective hate of the masses on that hapless individual (who is, in fact, a douchebag).

Now that you have the masses properly focused, they are malleable. As long as they keep watching the right hand, the left hand can do whatever the hell is pleases. Nobody will notice because they are all busy hating the right hand and patting each other on the back about how much better they are than the hapless douchebag.

The more you do this, the more you consolidate control over the sheep. No matter how trashy, how ignorant, how violent the sheep may be, they can at least rest in the assurance that they are not as bad as the hapless douchebags.

And the left hands keeps on playing.
edit on 17-9-2014 by incoserv because: I could

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

Don't know how to make a post or I would have. Saw this article very very high up on fox news homepage. Between that and the "sovereign citizen threats" I've been seeing them worry about it seems like they are going to them on their own people.

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Hypothesis: The NFL is trying to attract female viewership, as evidenced by the players wearing pink during Breast Cancer Awareness month. I believe that they are trying to re-brand themselves as female friendly in order to attract more female viewers to the sport. The current hammering by the media of domestic violence issues is just a marketing ploy in my opinion. It's a way for the NFL to tell everyone, "we care, please watch our Foosball Games"

I'm really looking forward to their marketing strategy when they go after the 65-80 single librarian demographic.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Ettenurb

It's all about stirring people up, attracting new customers. Anything to distract them. It's worked for thousands of years, it's ridiculous.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   
But the sport is not violent. That's just the way the game is played.

If you see violence in football you're watching it wrong.

Sh!t. I can play checkers violent.

edit on 17-9-2014 by BerenstEiner because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: TXRabbit
totally contradicts the rise in MMA viewership and coverage

MMA is not real, not fake mind you, but still not real. I'll explain.

First, I would argue that there are definitely "unspoken" rules that limit severe injuries in televised MMA fights. If it were REAL fighting there would be recurring deaths or career ending injuries in the ring. Since we don't see anything like that, it assures me MMA not real. In my mind, MMA resides in a funny limbo between Pro-Boxing and WWE/WWF. Basically there are two guys whom are really hitting each other, but with a certain degree of scripting and holding back punches, through physical training geared entirely toward rules maximization and not injury inducing blows.

I can take it even further. On the high side, Pro boxing has had THOUSANDS of deaths over the decades and there have been a little over 40 cheer-leading deaths since 1982. Guess how many MMA deaths there have been, in a sport which claims grown men, at the peak of physical fitness, wail on eat other at full strength?

A whopping 8 people in sanctioned events since 1993.

So I'm supposed to believe its more dangerous to be a high school cheerleader, than a pro-MMA fighter? Can anyone say WWE/WWF! I can.

Second, its a closed system, which is designed to prevent no-names from coming off the street and knocking the blocks off of cash-cows, whom have had a lot of money invested in their image, or worse, killing someone in the ring. Rich people don't like losing money due to no-names, mixing it up unannounced, making the established cash cows look bad. Same goes for pro-boxing, but I'd argue, much less so. Look at Ronda Rousey, for example, an attractive, former judo champion, whom was skilled at near Olympic level. Is she athletic? Absolutely. Is she strong and in peak shape for her weight class? Absolutely. Does she have discipline? You have to assume she does. Is she hungrier to win than some ghetto kid off the street? Not a chance. If MMA were an open system, a millionaire, whom invests in fighters, could take anyone off the street and train them in MMA for a few years, with the intent of beating the Ronda Rousey-types, whom were brought up in upper middle class homes with access to the best trainers since grade school. In boxing this happens quite a bit, look at Mike Tyson for example. So where is the "Mike Tyson" of MMA, who was found on the street, trained and groomed like a Thoroughbred horse, in order to woop the Rhonda Rousey types? They don't exist and even if they do, they will never get to fight the cash cows. MMA has been known to throw winning fighters out of the league because they are "boring" to watch. I assume, being someone who can end a fight in seconds, has to be bad for MMA business.

I also don't want to get into to much of a hearsay argument, but I saw quite a few LIVE qualification matches back in the early days of MMA, with fights ending in under 1 minute. Those guys were INSTANTLY disqualified from further participation and were added to a "black list". Basically these kinds of fights can't make money and are HORRIBLE for the gambling circuit, so those skilled fighters were shown the door. I'll admit I haven't followed MMA since the early 90's, but there is far more money at stake today than back then, so you can be quite sure, portions of what you see are pure theater.

Now some will say show me the video, well, the videos are not available commercially and as far as I know the UFC has no intention of releasing them. To clarify further on my experience when I was involved in the full-contact, no-pads, non-Olympic Taekwondo circuit (very big in Korea, practically nonexistent in the USA), I was traveling with one of my coaches whom was helping prep a fighter for the then, somewhat new, UFC. The group I was working with had trained a couple of low-brow, K1 fighters and assumed the UFC would be run in the same manner. They were totally surprised to find out that the UFC wanted entertaining fighters and not skilled fighters. They had recorded some of these fights to study and I attended one day in person at the pre-quals. So I can only relay what I saw on VHS tape, the one day I was onsite and the follow up stories I heard after the fighters were black listed.

One match that I clearly remember on a VHS tape made by my coach, was an older fighter (mid to late 40's) from Japan, he was a 5th Dan Shotokan master. He ended his match in less than 30 seconds with a strike to the neck of his opponent breaking his collar bone, however he broke his hand in the process. He was not allowed to proceed obviously due to his hand. HOWEVER, he was bared from entering the following years qualification matches. That took him and many others in that community by surprise. After that I was told many of the more traditional martial arts practitioners stopped attempting to enter UFC because they felt it was rigged like pro wrestling.

originally posted by: Ettenurb
Hypothesis: The NFL is trying to attract female viewership, as evidenced by the players wearing pink during Breast Cancer Awareness month. I believe that they are trying to re-brand themselves as female friendly in order to attract more female viewers to the sport. The current hammering by the media of domestic violence issues is just a marketing ploy in my opinion. It's a way for the NFL to tell everyone, "we care, please watch our Foosball Games"

I agree.

Its my opinion that college and pro sports in the USA is big sham. We haven't seen the best athletes makes the various teams in decades. Are a few outstanding? Absolutely, but its my opinion that the "selection process" always cuts out those whom could shame the middle performers, which the team owners, trainer and coaches have invested "capital" in, versus those who walk in off the street and have nothing invested in them from the "establishment" side.

I'll give the an example, Erik Swoope a former college basketball player, WHOM NEVER PLAYED FOOTBALL, signed with the Indianapolis Colts as an undrafted free agent. The decision to do so was based entirely off his combine performance and computer analysis mumbo-jumbo. I highly doubt Erik is better than all the other undrafted guys whom actually played the game before.

In modern, 21st century sports at all levels, college, amateur and pro. We are NOT seeing the best people in ANY professional leagues today, be it, MMA, NBA, NFL, NASCAR, you name it. Now, that doesn't mean the leagues are filled entirely with chumps, however, its my opinion that the great talents whom did make it, are competing against the equivalent of "chumps", so as, to make their "stars" shine brighter than they truly deserve. The last thing pro league and colleges want is a true no-name talent coming in off the street and rocking their cash cows. I gave up on watching American sports a LONG time ago when I saw this trend starting. Its in full swing now and is only going to get worse.
edit on 17-9-2014 by boohoo because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join