It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will the 2016 election be about ending the war on drugs?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: AnteBellum

Then what's the problem if it's already legal?
Like Oxy or HydroC, people buy it legally and sell them for $80 a pill. We have 60 year old grandma's buying heroin because Big Pharma gets involved once legalized. You want legal drugs better get another 2 jobs to enjoy them once they get their hands on the pot.

This is exactly the problem. This all stems from the drug war. Hideous bull shiza that the western world sat around while analogues like you mentioned, far stronger than heroin itself were carelessly prescribed in monstrous amounts to grandmas and mothers, and because of the indoctrination they thought they were taking a simply pop in your mouth pill that solves everything. The warnings were not given, the reality was not set.

You forcefully tell people that everything in column a is bad while filling their hands with column b, under the premise that it is safe and effective.

People will always be susceptible to opiate and stimulate addiction, and it will happen no matter what. But, when a person decides to incorporate those things in their life they need to be making educated choices. To know exactly what they are getting themselves into, and if they have a predisposition for addiction they need options for regulating and controlling their use. There is no way the world is going to rid itself of these things though so any type of banning or prohibition is stupid silly.

A former LEO with LEAP puts it best by saying, the most secure ultra-max prison in the US is full of drugs, so if you can't secure that, how can you secure an entire country?

The people with these addictions should be given options and alternatives. There are plenty of opiates they could take besides the ones you mentioned, and they could take them for the sake of taking them, until they are ready to not take them at all, with treatment if needed.

And a newsflash, big Pharma is the one that made it illegal, and pushes for other drugs to be illegal, so their legal drugs dominate the market.

The reason H&C are legal is because there are no patents on them anymore. Thats why they made synthetic analogues so they could corner markets.

Indoctrinated, I was part of it, which I won't get into specifics.
Drugs will NOT destroy your body, you are right, it is an all out lie started years ago. But unless someone starts building coc aine and heroin factories waiting for the chance it becomes legal, we are dependent on the ones that exist now in S. America owned by cartels. Legal or not that is the main source.

Im sorry, but by this statement alone you show your ignorance on the matter.
edit on 17-9-2014 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnteBellum

Then what's the problem if it's already legal?
Like Oxy or HydroC, people buy it legally and sell them for $80 a pill. We have 60 year old grandma's buying heroin because Big Pharma gets involved once legalized. You want legal drugs better get another 2 jobs to enjoy them once they get their hands on the pot.

This is confusing. You don't want it to be legal because you don't want legitimate businesses to get a hold of it and jack up the prices on it? So it's better for cartels to be doing this business?

You do know that there is this thing called supply and demand and unless there was some giant price fixing campaign, there is no way a pharmaceutical company would be able to jack up the price so much and get away with it. All another company would have to do is undercut their price and take away all their business.

Indoctrinated, I was part of it, which I won't get into specifics.
Drugs will NOT destroy your body, you are right, it is an all out lie started years ago. But unless someone starts building coc aine and heroin factories waiting for the chance it becomes legal, we are dependent on the ones that exist now in S. America owned by cartels. Legal or not that is the main source.

That's a sorry excuse against legalization. There was no marijuana industry in Washington State before it was legalized, and they seem to be doing fine with it.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Wow, that wouldn't surprise me. The country is broke, has out of control spending, has millions of illegals crossing the border each year, taxes corporations so excessively they are leaving in droves, has government organizations openly targeting political opponents... but this election will be about people smoking weed. Oh and don't forget gay marriage. How ridiculous.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire
Thanks for all the replies

But do you all think this will be a campaign issue in the upcoming presidential election?

Cannabis will be an issue for 2016 I am sure.
As of now, there are ballot measures in 4 states for Cannabis (Alaska and Oregon to legalize, Florida for medical).

A
Alaska Marijuana Legalization, Ballot Measure 2 (2014)
F
Florida Right to Medical Marijuana Initiative, Amendment 2 (2014)
O
Oregon Legalized Marijuana Initiative, Measure 91 (2014)
W
Washington Elimination of Agricultural Tax Preferences for Marijuana, Advisory Vote No. 8 (2014)

Dozens of other states have discussed legislative or ballot measures for either medicinal or legalization. If either Alaska or Oregon pass, I can guarantee more states will follow in 2016, and, combined with if Colorado and Washington continue to show promise in their measures, it will be an item for national discussion in 2016.
edit on 9/17/2014 by AllSourceIntel because: grammar

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   
The problem with that is the govt has been caught in the coc aine business so..I dunno what to say..lol, im not advocating..im really not sure about those 2 being a former addict but the mj should definatly be at the very least decriminalized, not even a fine for possesion or it will just become a revenue generator, maybee though some revenue should be generated and if thats the concept then full legalization and taxation.
Having said that in the case of heroin and coca im not sure the status quo is working?

edit on 17-9-2014 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Instead of wasting my time with any more on this, I concede to all of you.

You are all right! Smoke up, shoot up, snort away, whatever you want.
If they decide to decriminalize marijuana, stay away from my plants!

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   

No offense, but no one smokes Mexican weed because Mexican weed is garbage. Legalization of Marijuana wouldn't net the cartels anything because both states with legal MJ currently source in-house for lots of interesting reasons (Federal Interstate Commerce Law, for example).

As for the rest, I never cared whether something was / is legal or illegal before, and I don't imagine I will magically start caring if the status changes. I'd like to see a crippling blow dealt to both the black market, and the police industrial complex, so I am all for legalizing everything.

Cocaine and Heroin were both legally available 100 years ago, and they can certainly go back to being legal as far as I am concerned. Our time, energy and money should be spent on education, and treatment for addiction, not on being the worlds leader in prisoners and private jails.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   
This isnt a left right issue anymore.
Im giving stars to people in this thread that I cant stand outside of this issue.
This is a common ground issue. In my opinion this is Obamas high water mark, his
stance on leaving Colorado and Washington alone.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: nfflhome
This isnt a left right issue anymore.
Im giving stars to people in this thread that I cant stand outside of this issue.
This is a common ground issue. In my opinion this is Obamas high water mark, his
stance on leaving Colorado and Washington alone.

In both Colorado and Washington state 2/3 of democrats supported legalizing and republicans by 2/3 margin voted against. The democrats won.

Rick Perry and Rand Paul both support legalizing, but there GOP base (Christian conservatives) will attack them for this stand.

Still 1/3 of democrats nationally don't support legalizing.

However according to polls support nationally is up to 58%, but democrats are already defeating republicans on social issues. Hilary is not a supporter as of 2008 but I expect this to change, as her opponents in the up coming primaries will most likely use her stand against her.

The republicans always cave to the religious right so I don't expect the gop to embrace legalization.

The movement will insure that ballot measures are on multiple states so this will imo become a big part of the election in 2016.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I'm skeptical that it will be large issue in the 2016 election.

It won't be until many, many more states have decriminalized or legalized will you see a pig national push. The primary reason is money. Large companies, like Big Tobacco are likely to convert as popularity grows and they will drive the legalization movement from the same lobby offices that drove their other business interests.

One the primary reasons that legalization has stalled at all post 2005, is that large companies IMO have already struck deals in order to be ready, once the flood gates open so to speak. It's happening here in Canada as we speak with the medical industry and will continue until those people want the public market.

None of that is going to occur before the 2016 election. We are more looking at this being a major issue during mid terms in 2018 and even more so in the 2020 general.

~Tenth

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
Wow, that wouldn't surprise me. The country is broke, has out of control spending, has millions of illegals crossing the border each year, taxes corporations so excessively they are leaving in droves, has government organizations openly targeting political opponents... but this election will be about people smoking weed. Oh and don't forget gay marriage. How ridiculous.

Change has to start somewhere. If the nation can unite on issues such as this, then it can unite on more dire issues. But we need to be able to build the trust so that we can set our differences aside and come to reasonable solutions. Don't despair because it isn't about something you really care about.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

I have to disagree based on the popularity in polls and the success they have already achieved without big money on there side.

Once it becomes more of a campaign issue the big money will start to flow on both sides, but the population in general has already rejected the indoctrination already injected into our society.

The more the conversation proceeds the more successful examples like Portugal will be taught to the masses.

The police state is now a issue with Americans, the Bundy Ranch, Ferguson, its a logical thought that the War on Drugs will need to be addressed.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire
I would agree with Tenth more than I disagree. While I think it will be an issue and discussed in 2016 I don't think it will be a big issue that garners a significant amount of attention or decisive factor. Rather, it will be one of those issues that is discussed for a week or two and goes away. Tenth is probably right in that you won't see it become a major issue for another cycle or two.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: AllSourceIntel

My opinion is that ballot initiatives in these states will make it a big issue:
Arizona
California
Connecticut
Delaware
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Missouri
Montana
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Mexico
New York
Rhode Island
Vermont

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: AllSourceIntel

I agree, it will most likely be regional discussions among state politicians still. Though I'm sure more than a few senators or house politicians will run with legalizing weed as part of their platform. I don't think it will be a very big issue though. BUT I do think that the presidential candidate WILL have to have an opinion about it. I just don't think it will factor into if he or she gets elected or not.
edit on 17-9-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire

I have to disagree based on the popularity in polls and the success they have already achieved without big money on there side.

The polls have shown favoritism for 10 years. It took that long to get 2 states. It's not an overnight process, not even an over year process.

Look at gay marriage as a prime example. And yes, they are gaining momentum and have been, but it's been a serious domestic issue in politics for years now.

Once it becomes more of a campaign issue the big money will start to flow on both sides, but the population in general has already rejected the indoctrination already injected into our society.

There is hardly any big money from the side of normal people such as you and me. Only corporations have the kind of money to fund campaigns. Private individuals who have wealth will contribute, but you won't see Bill Gates or Warren Buffet spending their millions.

The more the conversation proceeds the more successful examples like Portugal will be taught to the masses.

Talk of successful legalization in other countries is outright dismissed sometimes. Certainly looked down upon by North America.

~Tenth
edit on 9/17/2014 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   

But unless someone starts building coc aine and heroin factories waiting for the chance it becomes legal, we are dependent on the ones that exist now in S. America owned by cartels.

This by and large is the silliest post in the entire thread.

Coca-Cola, the world's best-selling soft drink, once contained coc aine, and it is still flavored with a non-narcotic extract from the coca, the plant from which coc aine is derived.

This week, details of how Coca-Cola obtains the coca and how it is processed emerged from interviews with Government officials and scientists involved in drug research programs. They identified the Illinois-based Stepan Company as the importer and processor of the coca used in Coke. After Stepan officials acknowledged their ties to Coca-Cola, the soft drink giant confirmed those details of its operations. Coca-Cola's Comment

www.nytimes.com...

Coca-cola processes tons and tons of coca every year.

And there are already companies that process the other.

That's besides the start venture capitalists who would want to get into the industry if it were legalized and open to the market.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I can't believe anyone would vote for a politician based on a single "promise". I don't care what they promise with the one hand, but am more concerned with what they plan to take away with the other.

If you're thinking about casting a vote ... I certainly hope you're willing to take the time to find out who it is you're casting it for.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I agree they should, but dont believe it will happen...they need to keep up the "appearance" of a concerted effort to rid us of this "plague".

I've always said if you want take 'em, take 'em. Just tax the hell out of them, bring down and stop the illegal trade, and up the quality. If someone wants to take whatever, ...fine.

Just pay the gov in taxes on them. But it wont happen....
edit on 07-31-2014 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I agree fully, I think 2016 will be just a tad too soon for some to put it out there on a federal level..too many dinosaurs left.. but its coming.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join