It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will the 2016 election be about ending the war on drugs?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I think democrats are going to use this like republicans used anti gay marriage to get out the vote.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: AnteBellum
a reply to: LDragonFire

Heroin and coc aine should never be legal and they are drugs.
So there always will be a war on certain drugs.

Marijuana is a completely different story though.

NO NO NO NO! Neither of those two things should be illegal. They are contributing to the cartels' growth south of our border by funneling money to those organizations. Also, there is no point to locking someone up for using a drug (even an extremely dangerous one). It doesn't help them get better and ruins their life (if it isn't already ruined already thanks to the drug).

If you have a problem with heroin or coke, advocate for treating addicts so that they aren't so physically dependent on the drugs. Putting them in jail is just allowing the giant money hole called the "war on drugs" to continue eating away at our countries resources and moral fabric while promoting the police militarization.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Portugal would tell the the U.S. ... decriminalize and implement a system akin to ours.
Search Portugal drug decriminalization
edit on 9/17/2014 by AllSourceIntel because: spelling & grammar

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire
I think democrats are going to use this like republicans used anti gay marriage to get out the vote.

You might be right. But the Dems might not need that vote if the immigration law gets pushed thru as they want it. Now if the Republicans would just realize their hypocrisy by promoting GOD, while condemning those whom use a plant that obviously was put here by the GOD they worship, things might turn around?

Meh, never happen.....

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963
Not a good argument when democrats have won 5 out of the last 6 elections.....

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   

For those whom believe there is a difference in the 2 parties, you might be right. But I see their polarization as opposites as something done on purpose as to create division.

How is that working for the country?

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Did I say anything about decriminalization?
They should all be DECRIMINALIZED but not all legalized!

As for funneling money legalization would create more demand, demand that would be matched by the cartels. The money will go there legal or not because it has to come from somewhere and right now they are the major producers.

Presently we can seize assets and money used in drug stings but not if it's legal. The real issue here is not even the 'war on drugs' either that is used as front for decades. And It has already been loosing steam though the years now through our 'war on terror' replacing it.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

For those whom believe there is a difference in the 2 parties, you might be right. But I see their polarization as opposites as something done on purpose as to create division.

At this point in you're hopelessly in the tank for either party.

You have just not been paying attention.

Both are bought and sold and are afraid to cast a vote.

All new people could not possibly fail as bad as the a$$clowns.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere

You surely misunderstood my last post.

Read it again........

link   

a reply to: Krazysh0t

Did I say anything about decriminalization?
They should all be DECRIMINALIZED but not all legalized!

Probably should have specified that then.

As for funneling money legalization would create more demand, demand that would be matched by the cartels. The money will go there legal or not because it has to come from somewhere and right now they are the major producers.

Legal markets have the benefit of protection from the government (police). Not to mention regulations allow for safety of the product (no contaminants).

Presently we can seize assets and money used in drug stings but not if it's legal. The real issue here is not even the 'war on drugs' either that is used as front for decades. And It has already been loosing steam though the years now through our 'war on terror' replacing it.

You do know that there is still an illegal alcohol and illegal cigarette market correct? The police can and do seize assets of people participating in those markets.
edit on 17-9-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

link   

Actually they are currently legal and should be more widely legalized. Both are legal through a doctors prescription, one for pain management and the other for eye surgery and other rare applications.

The one has about a dozen analogues far stronger than it, and they are overprescribed by doctors everyday. There is no reason why both can't be regulated after being legalized.

You have to remember that your entire knowledge base is built from the drug war. You have been indoctrinated to believe these things will completely destroy you inside and out should you ever use them, at the same time your doctor is prescribing you an analogue that is more potent than the drug the establishment is warning you about.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Read it again........

I was agreeing with you.

I just started typing and didn't convey it well.

Sorry

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Read it again........

I was agreeing with you.

I just started typing and didn't convey it well.

Sorry

ok, I misunderstood you then? No worries!

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Thanks for all the replies

But do you all think this will be a campaign issue in the upcoming presidential election?

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   

But do you all think this will be a campaign issue in the upcoming presidential election?

The focus of the American People is impossible to predict.

I think it will be about ISIS.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: AnteBellum

False. This again is silly drug war logic. These things were legal pre-20th century. The thing that caused greater usage was traders and governments purposely marketing the products to people encouraging widespread use. In places where decriminalization and legalization has occurred usage has stayed baseline or dropped, but legalization is not something to be afraid of.

In the past places like England were responsible for pumping countries full of opium in part of a trade war. Getting a nation hooked on something was part of the war chest. Companies you know and love, like Bayer, promoted and advertised coc aine and heroin for everyday use for anything from a headache to PMS cramping.

In Portugal they have a decriminalized system that may as well be legalization in effect, although they could not go that far given the UN position which has backed the global drug war.

Cartels would lose ground as legal entities would take over production and processing, pushing them out of the way. A reduction in crime would be instant. The main way to achieve this is widespread legalization however, if few regions maintain their backwards laws it gives cartels room to operate.

Presently we can seize assets and money used in drug stings but not if it's legal.

Entirely not true. There are giant task forces dedicated to seeking out and dismantling counterfeit goods operations. They are quite effective in their trade. Legalization would bring a regulated market, where people can go to litigation to solve their problems, thus reducing violence. Anyone operating outside of the regulatory trade would be subject to laws and police interference.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Anything is possible with greedy politicians that will sell their souls for a vote, don't you think?

But I do firmly believe that only the Democrats will use it. ONLY if they need to though. The Republicans won't and can't use it because of the "Christian Right" votes they will lose by doing so. Their trapped!

Regardless of political ideologies, BOTH parties seem to have a firm grasp on the idea of "OPPRESSION" and how to use it against the population in favor of them making mad money from the Corporate & Military interests that fund their campaigns!

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Ah yes, woo, the scary evil H&C. OMGers I hope a drop of either never touches my skin because I will turn into a rabid troll. And a world with those two things legal would surely implode on itself. I mean they would totally destroy civilization from the inside out.

Unless...

Unless...

Oh dammit those two things helped build modern civilization. Shucks, the father of heart surgery was a fan of both. The father of social sciences loved to dabble in either and so many of the great modern minds, were all pumped full of this stuff.

Brain is exploding . . . stuff . . . taught. . . in . . . school. . . not. . . true. . told. . . by . . . media. . not . . . real . . ex. . plod. . ing. . g. g.g g. g. g.g

edit on 17-9-2014 by boncho because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: boncho

Actually they are currently legal and should be more widely legalized. Both are legal through a doctors prescription, one for pain management and the other for eye surgery and other rare applications.

The one has about a dozen analogues far stronger than it, and they are overprescribed by doctors everyday. There is no reason why both can't be regulated after being legalized.

Then what's the problem if it's already legal?
Like Oxy or HydroC, people buy it legally and sell them for $80 a pill. We have 60 year old grandma's buying heroin because Big Pharma gets involved once legalized. You want legal drugs better get another 2 jobs to enjoy them once they get their hands on the pot.

You have to remember that your entire knowledge base is built from the drug war. You have been indoctrinated to believe these things will completely destroy you inside and out should you ever use them, at the same time your doctor is prescribing you an analogue that is more potent than the drug the establishment is warning you about.

Indoctrinated, I was part of it, which I won't get into specifics.
Drugs will NOT destroy your body, you are right, it is an all out lie started years ago. But unless someone starts building coc aine and heroin factories waiting for the chance it becomes legal, we are dependent on the ones that exist now in S. America owned by cartels. Legal or not that is the main source.

And it's no fault of your own you probably didn't see my above post legalization is different then decriminalization and I'm all for decriminalization.
edit on 9/17/2014 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

link   

Without a doubt this will play a role in the 2016 elections. It is a slow process. Lawyers, police, prisons, counselors for court ordered programs all stand to lose A LOT OF MONEY with nationwide legalization. Some powerful lobbyists there.

It will be a race between a candidate that says recreational and medical should be state by state with no federal interference versus one who says states are already dealing with it and personally I don't support it, next question please...

Nothing nationwide. But I hope I am wrong.

<< 1    3  4 >>

join