It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Marijuana More Addictive Than Alcohol?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

If you look at political moves in this field there are not many people who believe the war on drugs actually ever worked.

The UN are discussing at some sort of special review in 2016 and the word on the street is that the War on/(of) Drugs and its associated international treaty based legislation that makes criminals out of users will be officially replaced with scientifically backed, healthcare based legislation aimed at minimising use.

Even politicians have to admit the truth sometimes.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I just feel bad for Bob Marley, Idiots and way less respectable people have been using his name in their moronic stereotypes for too long.

As has been said, we only need to look at the evidence of physical withdrawal symptoms. Alcohol, proven, it can kill you. Marijuana, non-existent, no physical dependency. One who partakes may become briefly cranky when it's dry, but that's all.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

What i meant is in many cases people are not addicted cause the alcohol or marijuana doesn't make you addicted, but if something is changing around you that affects your life you can become addicted of the relaxing or "drowning of the world around you through various substances and over time your body create the need for more.

My point the addiction is not always directly caused by the substance, though it over time might become.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
The truth is that we will not know the real effects of marijuana until it becomes as cheap and available as alcohol. Abusing the stuff is not easy because of the cost. Ten bucks buys a big bottle of vodka.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: GoShredAK
I just feel bad for Bob Marley, Idiots and way less respectable people have been using his name in their moronic stereotypes for too long.

yeah, lets feel bad for bob marley. not all the people that are labeled as druggies and criminals cause they use mj for whatever reason.
much more sad about bob marley

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I'll test that theory tonight and get back to you.

link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

it does still grow in the dirt right?

link   

My question was honestly curious, I can understand your shyness
on the matter.

As to your question, yes, I trust my own experience in this particular
instance. Normally I would trust science, but there has been a historical
bias against MJ for as long as I have lived. I;m going to trust my eyes
first, but I'll look at your article

link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: rival

First, I NEVER talk about personal usage on ATS. If you want to know, U2U me. Second, a study is ALWAYS more reliable than personal experience. Personal experience is just anecdotal evidence and can vary from person to person. A study tries to utilize the scientific method to get an idea of an actual base line for these activities. Are you trying to say that you would trust personal experience over a scientific study?

How true this comment is. The people who I see everyday of my life who can't live without it are weak people.Simple for me .MANY other who can take it or leave it.

It's slowly starting to come back around as it was 80yrs ago.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   

a reply to: CardiffGiant

Well said mate. End the war on drugs. Nothing good has come from it and people should be able to make their own decisions about what they want to put in their bodies. That includes ALL illegal narcotics.

PS: Buckethead is awesome!

because people have always made good decisions following their soveriegn right to poision themselves as they choose. i do recall a man eating someone's face...

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I've known plenty of people throughout my life who use marijuana. From those who are poverty stricken, to those who have more money than they will ever spend in two lifetimes. Not only is marijuana not near as addictive as alcohol, or many foods for that matter. It does not take away from a persons productiveness near as much as alcohol does.
Those folks I know who are normally very busy and productive people, still are, even with their recreational use of marijuana. Those who are prone to laziness, still are. So that myth doesn't stand up to reality, either.

S&F Krazyshot.

edit on 9/17/2014 by Klassified because: oops

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   

I hear you, and understand that.

I think the problem is, is that it has received so much negativity, for being viewed as a part of some major criminal element. Which is why a lot people are supporting the habit now due to the benefits it could bring.

I personally wouldn't want it legalized, just more or less decriminalized with a minimal penalty for certain circumstances. Unlike being sent to jail for a few months over a roach, where I live, they more or less would give you a ticket for smoking it. The only way you could get in trouble is by trafficking, which ether over a certain limit on person, like 2 grams, or if its in dimebags.

And as long as it stay out of schools.

It is a lesser evil that I'd rather put up with.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Jukiodone

Well that is certainly some good news. You got any links or anything I can read up on this?

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

because people have always made good decisions following their soveriegn right to poision themselves as they choose. i do recall a man eating someone's face...

nope. people have not always made good choices.....so?

i dont think someone used mj and then ate a persons face off....wasnt that bath salts or something?

even if it was mj, so what?

how may bad choices made after drinking tons of booze yet you can still get it on every corner in america...

on a side note and i am not saying this cause i want it to be illegal..

how is it possible that mj is illegal yet something like salvia is totally legal?
its things like that that make me question all the legalities and should let all people know that these laws are not for our benefit..

i can go get a back of salvia from the smoke shop that is .4 miles away from my house and it is totally legal yet i cant get mj legally. makes zero sense at all.
not saying i want salvia to be made illegal i am just trying to make a point.

i can go buy 10 gallons of vodka right now but cant get mj legally. makes no sense

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: CardiffGiant
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

it does still grow in the dirt right?

So do potatoes.
And we make vodka with that. So what's your point?

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: rival

My question was honestly curious, I can understand your shyness
on the matter.

It's not about shyness. It's about the T&C.

As to your question, yes, I trust my own experience in this particular
instance. Normally I would trust science, but there has been a historical
bias against MJ for as long as I have lived. I;m going to trust my eyes
first, but I'll look at your article

Actually, most of the time the scientific studies show either a minor negative effect or a benefit. What gets lost in the translation is when news outlets and politicians sensationalize the results and try to claim that the study says more than it really does.

See this thread I authored last week for an example of this:
Frequent teen marijuana use linked to issues later in life

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   
There is no comparison. Alcohol is much worse.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

a reply to: CardiffGiant

Well said mate. End the war on drugs. Nothing good has come from it and people should be able to make their own decisions about what they want to put in their bodies. That includes ALL illegal narcotics.

PS: Buckethead is awesome!

People make bad decisions all the time. It's part of being alive. Why punish them for it?

You do know that the person who ate someone else's face was on bath salts right? The reason bath salts exist is because a powder drug that isn't harmful to you but makes you feel REALLY good is illegal.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   
It's not really about addictiveness.... it's about having the choice.
Tobacco, Alcohol is all heavily regulated and worth billions to the economy.... so we're "Allowed" those poisons and drugs.
Weed could be grown by a lot of people and would be harder to tax and know who was growing what.
I think it should be legalised, everywhere and regulated and controlled just like booze and cigs... let people CHOOSE what they want to put in their body.

But we know it's not about people's choice and decisions

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Double Post...

edit on 17/9/14 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join