It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We cannot deny ignorance.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 08:22 AM
link   
According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary ignorance is: "a lack of knowledge, understanding, or education : the state of being ignorant".

1. Lack of knowledge - I will never be able to learn everything, I can try to learn as much as I can, but in the end there will still be a lot more to learn.
2. Lack of understanding - I can know all about the Bible or any other topic, but do I really understand what's in there?
3. Lack of education - If I don't have the right instruction, I will not have anything of the above.

So, I don't deny ignorance, I embrace it. At this moment I can say that I have a knowledge above common people, but still I am ignorant.

Ignorance is way of accepting awareness. A way of acquiring consciousness. If we as human beings accept that, then we are ready for the next level.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Abednego
What you needed to do was to check the various meanings of "deny".
It is not just about "not accepting that something exists".
It also means to refuse something, not to allow something to happen.
As in "We must deny this ground to the enemy" (i.e prevent them from taking it).
I've always understood "deny ignorance" to mean "challenge the power of ignorance, refuse to allow it to proceed any further, put up a barrier against it".
Will that do?

edit on 17-9-2014 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Very good explanation...

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Your are right about the various meanings of deny. But to refuse something means that you think you have the truth, that you are not going to accept anything else and your are not willing to listen and comprehend (by listening and comprehending not necessarily means that you are believing in that but rather you are recognizing your limitations therefore understand that's there is something else beyond).
In order to challenge the power of ignorance you have to accept that your are ignorant, that way you will understand what needs to be done.

To promote the debate, that will do. Thanks.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   
It's always gonna be an ongoing battle anyway, and it's not easy, we are all ignorant to a certain degree, and we don't like changing what we already think we know, that's the point I think, deny your ignorance, keep challenging yourself and others.

That's the way I see it anyway.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: valiant
You are on the right path my friend.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Another word for admitting ignorance is called humbleness. Know it alls aren't humble, just ignorant.

I am a "know it all" and will come down hard if I know I am right. I will also apologize if mistaken.

Thats part of developing credibility.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   
The more you know, the more you believe what you know is right. Where does this get you. It makes you more ignorant and unable to see what is really happening. Consensus of the day is not reality most times. Science has flaws because of interpretations based on beliefs and desires. Evidence can be applied to many different scenarios.

So if you don't say you believe in consensus of the time and the interpretations of others, you do not gain prestige in much of society. So you just say you believe and you are accepted, but you do not have to really believe. I guess this still means you are abnormal but it makes you into an experienced actor.

I just don't like being a parrot with this stuff, I would rather discuss stuff like how lousy the weather is or how nice it is to have a nice day with people I meet in the real world. We talk about things that do not matter, small talk.

Here on ATS, I can discuss more of this controversial stuff because there are many people who actually have answers. I learn a lot here. I can't say I accept it without researching it though, so I do. Now even here, I will bow out on controversial subjects, you can't talk reason with everyone. This is a place to try to discuss things not a place to get mad.

Ignorance is just a word. I wonder what the ancient names for ignorance are. Now I got something to look up.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Great answer.
If we as human race accept with humbleness what we are or what are we in this universe, we can really discover our purpose in this magnificent design.

The world would be a better place to live in.

I'm also a "know it all" and will come down hard too. But that's about our convictions. And again our convictions are limited to where we where raised, educated, etc...

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Ignorance in Hebrew is written this way:

בורות

What does the other word stand for?

יהוה

They look somewhat the same, with just some slightly differences. We can talk about this for a very long time. But the results are amazing.
Now I really give you something to look up.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I agree, I've always felt it is a lame and awkward phrase.

'Seek Knowledge' might work better, or 'To Boldly Go Forth Into Rabbit Holes' even...

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   

The world would be a better place to live in.

I agree. Less pride and more willingness to learn. Pride doesn't need to know anything except its own ends.
edit on 17-9-2014 by intrptr because: Misspelled one sentence? Geez…

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   
how can we identify ignorance in others if we are ignorant in our own ways? One might believe they are denying ignorance when they are actually the one propagating it...

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 06:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3n19m470
how can we identify ignorance in others if we are ignorant in our own ways? One might believe they are denying ignorance when they are actually the one propagating it...

You don't need to have a special knowledge in order to identify an ignorant. Ignorant is someone that thinks it has the truth and his/her opinion is pure fact, based on what he/she believe. Any interpretation of whatever you read is just your opinion (could be fact).
We need to stop trying to make world think like us. What we need to do is to express our opinion without trying to convince people.

"Truth do not scream, truth convince." - Luis A. Ferre

new topics

top topics

join