It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scotland Citizens: Why are you voting Yes / No?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 07:42 AM
link   
If you're Scottish and voting "Yes" in the referendum, why are voting "Yes"?

Is it because of a desire to have an independent Scotland, irrespective of Westminster politics, or is it because you hate the corrupt politics of Westminster? If the UK had a more democratic system, would you be less inclined to separate? Please explain your reasons.

If you're voting No, why, and do any of the points I've mentioned play a part in your decision? Why are you voting No?

Either way, good luck to you this week. My grandmother was Scottish, and her name was McVean, which makes me Mr Bean (English form of the name)!

P.S. Sorry for title error. I'm aware it should be "Scottish Citizens."
edit on 17-9-2014 by ScreenBogey because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 07:50 AM
link   
This situation with Scotland really shows me how far we have come as human beings( with acceptions like the Middle East), there was a time where Britain would force them to stay but not anymore. This is a very civilized transition and whether they vote yes or no I have much respect for Britain and Scotland and wish them all the best in the future.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: ScreenBogey

It's a mix of stolen revenues, illegal wars, governments we never voted for, truly awful and biased media, being lied to repeatedly, the look you get when you try to use Scottish bank notes in England and most importantly that it is by far the best thing for Scotland thats making me vote YES!

Why the people of any country would choose not to be independent is a notion completely lost to me, and to most Scots i know.

Oh aye, and if Westminster want weapons of mass destruction they should be kept in England. The Scots don't want anything to do with them. Nuclear weapons that the USA control i may add.
edit on 17-9-2014 by helldiver because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 08:30 AM
link   
If one wants to travel fast one travels alone but if one wants to travel far they travel with others.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Not on the M6 you dont!

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I posted this in another thread and so have just copy and pasted it from there.

My reasons for voting Yes are because for the 36 years I've been on this planet I've never had a government that has acted in the interests of me and the majority of my fellow citizens.
I am sick of being pulled into illegal wars for multinational corporate interests, having banks bailed out using taxpayers money or being governed by a bunch of pedophile scum.
I don't like living in a society where the poor get demonised for being dole cheats, where the disabled get services cut in the name of austerity, all of this while the banks who were bailed out give themselves nice fat bonuses.
I'm voting because just maybe we can build a just and moral society that looks after the needs of the people and not cater to the wealthy.
I see it as an incredible opportunity to make real change to the systems of power that govern us and that's why I'm voting yes.
We know it's not going to be easy but I believe in the resourcefulness of the Scottish people and have faith that we will make a good go of it.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: ScreenBogey

Careful, you might want to reword your OP. I just had a thread 404'd for asking questions even more vague than this under the "polling" rules here.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Voting No.

I haven't heard one good reason to vote Yes. I've asked but nobody can provide just one compelling reason.

Let's hope the fear and intimidation tactics of the Yes campaign fail.
edit on 17/9/2014 by Uncertainty because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: mclarenmp4

The bank bailouts?

The Scottish banks were the worst offenders!

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Uncertainty
Voting No.

I haven't heard one good reason to vote Yes. I've asked but nobody can provide just one compelling reason.

Let's hope the fear and intimidation tactics of the Yes campaign fail.

edit on 17-9-2014 by helldiver because: Quoted wrong person, my bad.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I have no idea to what you are referring, I am 100% British and have always maintained that logically and sensibly that No is the correct way to vote.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: helldiver

Ah yes, your the obnoxious fellow who called me a hypocrite in another thread for no reason that I could discern.

To clarify my position, I am all for debate and discussion, in my view the Yes campaign have not give honest answers on any subject.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Ah yes, your the obnoxious fellow who called me a hypocrite in another thread for no reason that I could discern.

To clarify my position, I am all for debate and discussion, in my view the Yes campaign have not give honest answers on any subject.

Your exact words:

Where did I say I was Scottish?

Re: the pictures thing, it's more etiquette and then using them as appeal to emotion is something that I personally find distasteful, but I can see you post from the heart. I personally can't debate with you as you believe Scotland (and by virtue of that, Holyrood) is all sweetness and light, in no way tainted.

I don't need to read your propaganda, but I understand your wish to be part of an independent country. I'm neither for or against, and whatever happens in the vote I wish the best for everyone.

IGNORE THE ABOVE. APOLOGY BELOW.

edit on 17-9-2014 by helldiver because: Big mistake on my part.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   

I did not post those words, these are not my words.

Why are you attributing another posters words to me?

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   
You are attributing posts from a poster called Uncommitted to me.

I think you now owe me an apology in two threads"

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   

You are attributing posts from a poster called Uncommitted to me.

I think you now owe me an apology in two threads"

Agreed and done 100%, apologies. It's all getting a bit too hot for me, last you'll hear from me i promise. I did indeed get the two names mixed up. Sorry.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   

No problem, apology accepted.

I was wondering why I was getting a hard time!

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   
The way energy companies, railways, and banks have been ripping people off left, right and center is why I'm voting YES. I personally had to fight six years to get well over £10K back from my bank. (I couldn't list all the evidence, but you find it here: www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...)

Seeing all the Middle East wars that our country has been dragged into, which so far have just made things worse, more unstable, and increased illegal immigration to the point that the country is literally under siege in places like Calais.

Oh yes, and I had my PhD dragged out and my career frozen for four extra years due to the political diktats of a certain political party that was in power in the last decade. I was blocked from publishing papers, attending conferences and building a professional network. For four years, I literally didn't know when exactly I was going to finish. Every Christmas between 2004 and 2009 I hoped I would be finished that year, but it never happened.

top topics

join