It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking for a program to help list items.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Hi all,

Been spending sometime searching the web, though I'm not to sure how to word it right, so it turns up nothing helpful.

Basically I need a program where I can create categories, then within that, list items that suit, but also allowing to add more whenever at ease.

Like for example

+BOOKS (collapsible)
- Book 1
- Book 2
- Book 3
- Click to add

+DVD (collapsible)
- DVD 1
- Click to add

Hope I'm explaining it right, and I know there are mail apps or todo lists that might do similar, just the time/date stuff annoys me. Simply after a list style. I have been using XML but hate the tag in bracket stuff.

Does anyone know of program? Clean, nice GUI?

Cheers
edit on 17-9-2014 by blackspirit because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Try a spreadsheet, libreoffice is free and theres plenty others and shouldn't be too hard.

Depending on the OS/platform theres probably all sorts of household property recording software around so you can quickly add serials/barcodes/photos/extra notes etc but it may be simpler to create your own if you know someone who can do some basic programming as its almost what a lot of computer programming classes would consider a classic problem to solve

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Cheers for the reply.

Had thought of using Excel and using the dev tools to make a quick GUI. Was hoping something out there already exists, just being lazy

Might just have to write up something quick myself.
edit on 17-9-2014 by blackspirit because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 06:26 AM
link   
a reply to: blackspirit
Your basically talking about a simple database.
I wrote something about 10 years ago using PHP & MYSQL, running on apache, exactly for that usage (DVD collection), even with IMDB info pulling about that movie, with user accounts for sharing. If you want, you can have it but you have to know how to set up a local webserver, mysql database per hand (did not write a script to do it) and finally maybe some configuration changes. Not really safe if you do not know what you do.

Might just have to write up something quick myself.

better search for "SQL database client" and use it this way.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 07:34 AM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

Hey, cheers for the reply.

Not after anything involved like that. Does not need to be online, nor shared. Just a simple list with categories.

Here is a screenshot of a program I have, hiding all the extra toolbars and other features. This does work, just gets annoying.

Just after something as simple as that.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Was just about to say they gotta have something like that in excel...if you are programmer savvy I bet its not too hard to make something like this but ...ya not easy if you are not haha. I'll look around cause I could use this too.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: rockpaperhammock

with net framework and an editable treeview with little modifications its done in under 10 minutes

edit: lets say 20 minutes if you write your own save/load routines with streamwriter or you could use json plugin and simply serialize the whole treeview object.
edit on 17-9-2014 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   

ya i just thought...you could have that already just using windows folders!

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: rockpaperhammock

but then you need a tool or use commandline to get the oversight of all these folders. I´m searching my tools for a program like OP needs, because I know I have something like that on my harddrive but I suppose its to late.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Sir? Make a simple spreadsheet in any of 100 ways, formats or templates....even WITHOUT any of those. What youre talking about would take minutes to create. Shorter time than it took you to create this thread.

This is simple school-stuff. Ask any teen!

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Cheers all for the replies. Yes I know its something very simple and easy to do with many programs already out there. I was just after a quick program to do what I wanted. I ended up making a quick program myself, no fuss, no extra software, just a small 8kb program.

This is exactly what I did, though did not think of json at the time. Cheers

edit on 18-9-2014 by blackspirit because: (no reason given)

top topics

join