It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Odile Poised to Bring Catastrophic Flooding to Southwest US

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Looks the Odile might cause historical catastrophic flooding to the Southwest.

Odile will unload tremendous rainfall over a large part of the Southwest United States that will run off the mountains and into the desert valleys and plains through the end of the week.
According to Western Weather Expert Ken Clark, "There is the potential for devastating, catastrophic and historic flooding in this scenario." . . .

The heaviest rainfall will hit the Southwestern states of Arizona and New Mexico where a general 3 to 6 inches will fall, but local amounts of 10 inches or more are possible on the slopes of the mountains. Rainfall of 1 to 2 inches per hour can occur.
There is a significant risk to lives and property in the region.
"Not only will flash and urban flooding occur in this case, but there is the potential for major river flooding," Clark said . . .
"Travel on Interstate-10 between El Paso, Texas, and Phoenix will be dangerous," Clark said

I live in Tucson so heres what really caught my attention and why I'm writing this.

The article goes on to say

The rain from Odile is coming just one week after moisture from Norbert drenched the region, creating major flooding. Norbert caused a daily record rainfall of 3.29 inches at Phoenix earlier in September.
The combined rainfall from Norbert and Odile has the potential to cause September to be the wettest month ever in some areas. For example, during August of 1955, 7.9 inches of rain fell at Tuscon, which set the mark for the wettest month since records began in 1895. Thus far this month, about 2.5 inches of rain have fallen at Tuscon.

There is a good video that i can't embed if you want to take a look. The guy on the bottom doesn't seem to optimistic.

Odile Poised to Bring Catastrophic Flooding

This should be interesting. The storm is coming from the southwest. I'm just south west of the Santa Catalina Mountain in the foot hills at 2,700 ft. They are expecting 3-6 inches for the general area but it could be up to 10 in for higher elevations. Hope every one stays safe. The guy in the video say don't travel if possible in the area. Interstate might be closed.
edit on 17-9-2014 by BGTM90 because: spelling

edit on 17-9-2014 by BGTM90 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 04:56 AM
link   

While our rainfall forecast above lays out a general area of heaviest rain, keep in mind heavier rain may fall in localized areas in the most persistent thunderstorm clusters. Some rainfall records may be threatened throughout the desert U.S., including Tucson's daily precipitation record of 3.93 inches that was set on July 29, 1958. Tucson's wettest September on record occurred in 2011, when 5.6 inches fell throughout the month. It is possible that that much rain may fall in Tucson this week.

www.weather.com...

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 05:12 AM
link   
a reply to: BGTM90

I have family near Phoenix and some places had 5" of rain in one day from the last tropical storm. There was a lot of damage from the floods.

I know hurricanes can form in the Pacific but it seems like an unusually high number compared to the Atlantic this year.

Stay safe!
edit on 17-9-2014 by CINY8 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Well, at least you aren't experiencing a drought. What do the rattlers do down there when their burrows get flooded? I suppose they climb on house porches to keep dry.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: BGTM90

I am in Phoenix, and we still have some standing water from last week.. I got eaten alive by mosquitoes Saturday attempting to grill out in my garage. This is just what we need. My Dad is in Vail, which is just south of Tucson. Hope it isn't that bad there.

top topics

join