It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the meaning of this similar 'C' found on a rock? Not on the Moon, but on Mars this time?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 09:42 PM
link   
What is the meaning of this similar 'C' found on a rock? Not on the Moon, but on Mars. I hope someone can tell us.

I cannot post to the download area on ATS so this link will have to do. Maybe someone can copy the image into the thread please?

Oh no, not more on the Moon C-rock hoax!! Well, it IS more than a coincidence now that we have found another C on a rock but on Mars. You have to agree.

Take a look at this original NASA photo of Mars and look an the second large stone up from bottom right corner going diagonally left. There is a letter 'C' similar to the one on the famous "Moon prop rock"

I would love to open this up for debate and to get some really creative explanations from the science types and sceptics on here.

This shows the "original" without the C on the Moon rock. I very much doubt this is an original but anyway we can go with it for now.

It is most strange that this 'C' is in the images and there is also the same 'C' on the mars rock. Now, that leaves a few possibilities, speculations and questions which include
a) this is a staged prop (unlikely/likely)
b) this is a mark which NASA places on the image to denote something (why on a rock though?)
c) why is it NOT on the original? (airbrushing after the event?)
d) aliens living on Mars/Moon put it there?
e) some other explanation (and yes, I DO think it requires an explanation now)

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: qmantoo

Doesn't it say in the link:

One particular rock somehow has a letter 'C' printed on it from Apollo 16 mission. This was marked to show where an astronaut should be standing as actors have on a stage when performing.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Here's your rockin' "C"

files.abovetopsecret.com... Large version

Almost forgot to mention the two dimples on it

edit on 16355Tuesdayk22 by Bilk22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   
CAVALRY! I'm sure SOME idiot had to pull GUARD DUTY and got bored.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Bilk22

you should go on google earth and look around the area for any other interesting stuff. S & F good find

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I see what looks like letters scratched into the rocks here around the garden and I can't tell for sure if they mean anything. An X or letter that looks like a W or a M means nothing by itself. There are a lot of scratched rocks here. But whoever was here before made things by grinding rocks so finding scratched ones is not unusual. A scratch can also come from rocks falling. The glacier could have pushed them too. Now this is Mars, the chances of them being carved there are way more slim.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: AnteBellum

I thought I should have both sides of the argument to start with so I put that other link in there.

I dont necessarily want to start the Moon hoax debate all over again because it gets boring after a while, but I would like some ideas as to what might cause this now-nearly-becoming-common C anomaly found on rocks.

I am sure some of the regulars will show up to poo-poo the anomaly. Either that or the thread will be quietly moved to the hoax forum where no-one looks at it. It IS NOT a hoax though and should be spread more widely.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 10:28 PM
link   

The two Cs are not that similar. The one on martian rock is more like a full circle (or oval), and, unlike the Moon "C", seems to be definitely there, being a depression in the surface.

Circular features have been seen on Mars and the Moon before, and are usually the result of bubbles in the solidified melt material having been eroded away. Or it could have been an imprint from another rock.

Here's an image from the same Sol and camera, with a similar "C" on another rock (upper right) : mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Nothing to see here!

This is NOT part of an old Soviet Union structure with the letters CCCP on it!

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Well obviously its:

Randomly stamping C's into rocks on the moon and Mars!!

omg!

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I've seen this before. And other ones similar to it.

Maybe on ATS or somewhere else on the net.

It was "explained" away as an odd erosion pattern, an air pocket that was exposed when part of that rock fell off.

Who knows? Maybe that was a chunk of the facade from the First Martian Bank? Either way, they don't make slip ups, either that is a C imprinted in the rock or maybe a fossil, or we're all seeing things.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 10:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnteBellum

Doesn't it say in the link:

One particular rock somehow has a letter 'C' printed on it from Apollo 16 mission. This was marked to show where an astronaut should be standing as actors have on a stage when performing.

Ok I could see that on the moon but there is no one on Mars to stand next to the rock.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Wecome Erik, welcome wildespace, At least wildespace, you tried to explain it for us.

However in spite of what you say I feel that the Cs are similar and to illustrate this, I have placed them side-by-side. Bearing in mind the different perspectives and angles, I think they are pretty similar and definitely a 'C'

The two Cs above compared side-by-side, similar size

and now with yours wildespace as a further comparison...
Not really the same eh?
But it certaily illustrates your point how yours is not similar to the others.

Yes, they could be a bubble, but I doubt it. Yours might be a bubble - perhaps. If it were a bubble, that inplies a hollow centre which would not be filled with rock as this one is, and would leave a definate hollow in the rock,

I do not see how a rock formed by molten magma would capture the 'bubble' as the cooling process takes years and is not instant. If it was as a result of magma being thrown into water/liquid, then there would be other signs in the rock not just one c/bubble. I think this is a bit of a stretch to come up with an explanation on your part.

These Cs look as if they have been cut into the rock. Maybe they are a Martian character or symbol?

They do look pretty similar in my opinion, and if we have two, there should be more somewhere but perhaps you could point us to more obvious and similar examples of molten rock bubbles caught in a freeze-frame both on Earth and on Mars or the Moon. Besides, I thought the Moon was not volcanic, or are we going with the hair-on-the-copier explanation with that one?
edit on 16 Sep 2014 by qmantoo because: too many CR & LFs

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 12:59 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 01:16 AM
link   
sorry Moondoggie, your youtube is lost on me. From where I am I cannot see any social network sites due to government restrictions. Youtube included. Oh.. by the way - Not stalking me are you? never had a stalker before...could be interesting. You gave the same reply on both my recent threads.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Well, I'm not going to try and explain it as I do not know what it is, nor am I a geologist.

What I can do however is: locate the same rock in other images.

If we look through the raw images from the same sol (sol 618) we find it in a second image:

Link

If I crop and scale up the image, it starts to look more like a "O" or circle to me:

I also found the rock in this Navcam image back on sol 610:

Link
Which helps to give us both a location for the rock, and the distance from the MSL at that time.

Here also is a Mastcam image of the rock, not quite as zoomed in as Sol 618:

Link

Always like to see things in different images to see the differences, their distance, etc.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   

(c) - copyright claim by the all mighty one...

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Erik, thanks for the images and links. from these different images, I am starting to think that it could be a circle on the Mars rock too. If these were taken by Opportunity I would suspect the RAT had had a go at that rock but this is Curiosity and I dont remember them having a RAT. Also, it is on the side and almost the underside of a rock which would make it very difficult to access this area with a robot arm. It is a shame that we dont have a full-on frontal shot. :-)

What might have caused it? It appears almost too regular for a natural feature as if perspective is taken into account it might be an almost perfect circle cut into the rock. The bubble of magma suggested by wildespace does not wash for me.

*** I am not claiming to have 'discovered' this, ***
so it may well have been covered in threads and discovered by others. Please post links to other discussions on the same topic so we can take account of what was discussed there too. We are all here to learn and expand our thinking.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   
The so-called "C" on the rocks is actually the universally accepted symbol for Cr@P.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   
it looks more like O to me than C
the rocks on Mars are probably very similar to rocks here on Earth
lots of people have said that Earth and Mars are very similar
maybe Venus

Moon rocks might have different make-up than earth and mars
we really havent heard anything about them

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join