It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Next Level BS #4: Citizens United Upheld, Sharia Law in the US, Facebook Idiots, and more...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: amfirst1

Actually… that's not it.

Corporations can set up their own "super fund," outside of FEC regulations/oversight, pump that money into a PAC, then run ads for one candidate.

This gets them out of contribution limits. So if a Congressman in Texas is about to fail, because he's out of ad budget money. A corporation-funded SuperPAC could step in and spend millions on TV ads, without ever actually donating to the Congressman.

But you can bet that Congressman is now beholding to the corporation for saving his ass, just as if the corporation actually donated.
edit on 17-9-2014 by SkepticOverlord because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: theNLBS

Facebook Idiots= The more friends you have the more of an idiot you are. I'm surprised I have 20 friends.

I thrive in Isolation.....I need more rejection

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Not really liking this, Ats has always been a debate forum and here this is with a one sided presentation... about how people tend to follow along when presented things. Nothing personal don't think "a show" actually belongs here, it encourages the exact phenomena it happens to be bagging on facebook which is agenda driven and there is always a comeback... for instance... "facebook makes people stupid" so because I spend part of the day being the person who happens to have 10's of thousands of followers and happens to also be creating the opinions I know others will follow i'm stupid? Don't think so, in any story there is always another side isn't there. Ats is cool because it's NOT TV, all this can do is Delphi the opinion of the ATS audience.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord
a reply to: amfirst1

Actually… that's not it.

Corporations can set up their own "super fund," outside of FEC regulations/oversight, pump that money into a PAC, then run ads for one candidate.

This gets them out of contribution limits. So if a Congressman in Texas is about to fail, because he's out of ad budget money. A corporation-funded SuperPAC could step in and spend millions on TV ads, without ever actually donating to the Congressman.

But you can bet that Congressman is now beholding to the corporation for saving his ass, just as if the corporation actually donated.

that's really corruptivity. Do Corps actually run ads in support of their chosen candidate Sceptic? That's akin to giving Corps multiple votes.
They used to have something similar in Northern Ireland within the voting system itself, whereby business people had multiple votes for their domicile/s AND their business/es. It was shameful abuse of a supposed democratic voting system.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 04:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire
I agree about the citizens united, republicans brought it to the supreme court and the republican majority court made it law, we the people no longer exists. For the corporation by the corporations, they are our owners. Republicans have been giving them rights over us since Reagan, how can a citizen drug test another citizen and it be legal? Some how we are more Free under there BS laws!!!!

Hate to tell you, but your President, Obama, is pretty good at taking money from companies. Probably even better at it.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thurisaz
Jesus Christ, I wish Joe would get a haircut... he is starting to look like he is female. lol

Well I'm a female, and he looks pretty damn male to me. In the best way. :-)

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: criticalhit
Ats has always been a debate forum and here this is with a one sided presentation...

I think it is a presentation which is designed to generate conversation and possibly debate. No? We aren't expected to agree with it unless it already agrees with us, right?

don't think "a show" actually belongs here

Well they've had various kinds of media here for quite some time you know...

agenda driven

Opinion driven. Agenda implies one is trying to win votes or make money or convert the heathens. Merely having an opinion I think is more like "free speech" than mercenary plotting to persuade.

"facebook makes people stupid" so because I spend part of the day being the person who happens to have 10's of thousands of followers and happens to also be creating the opinions I know others will follow i'm stupid?

I don't think you have to take it personally LOL. (Maybe next time they can say, "...except for Bob!" or something if it helps, heh!)

Actually, for people who spend a lot of time on facebook, I think it's probably an important refresher that the rest of the world does not actually operate in that same fishbowl social microclimate and often the behavior that ends up seeming normal there is pretty surreal from the outside.

Facebook in great part demolished what faith I had in the average intelligence of humanity, so I find it difficult to cast aspersions on other people observing something similar. That doesn't mean everybody there is stupid, it just means it offers a much closer look into the opinions of 'the guy on the street' (or at his computer) than anyone wants.

Since you have tens of thousands of followers you could, in theory, use the situation as a conversational point for, as you put it, creating the opinions you know others will follow.

Wait. If you're doing that, why are you unhappy with a media editorial piece again??

RC

top topics

<< 1   >>

join