It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lockheed's New Laser Super Turret Could Change Air Combat Forever

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: SammamishmanThat has got to be a wonderful morale boost to pilots going up against adversaries with this technology once refined.

There was this.

Even if the ABC turret and its laser were only effective within short range, it would mean that the F-35, or any aircraft equipped with such a system, could literally shoot down missiles as they approach. The F-35's avionics suite is already more-or-less set up for this type of thing. Tying the ABC turret and its laser to the aircraft's spherical network of staring infrared cameras, known as the Distributed Aperture System, that already can track missiles and their heat signatures as they approach (and gunfire on the ground for that matter), would provide instantaneous targeting data for the aircraft's laser system. When fully integrated, such a concept would in effect create an active laser sphere-like shield around the aircraft.

Maybe it hints at a laser shield like countermeasure being looked into?

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sammamishman
a reply to: StratosFear

True about the "dog fight is no more" argument that has been around for years. I don't think the dog fight will ever be completely gone, just change with the deployment of DEW's. Tactics, distances for maneuvers may adapt to DEW's.
The scary thing to me about them is the lack of advanced warning. A targeted aircraft won't know they are being shot at till they catch fire and explode. At least with missiles, even AESA warheads with their reduced warning time, you have some warning something is coming your way. Lasers hit at the speed of light and are virtually undetectable till they are fired at you, and as far as I know un-defeatable.

Lasers are easily redirected with prisms or mirrors. A smart skin that would turn highly reflective at a sensed rapid temp change would be the counter armor any half decent science fiction writer would dream up on the spot.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   

They already have systems like that. They're most effective against IR missiles, by blinding the seeker head so it can't see, then it's just a matter of moving.

www.northropgrumman.com...

edit on 9/16/2014 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Vertical propulsion?

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Comms.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

The issue with that is they would have to know a head of time what wavelength of light the laser system was operating in to effectively counter the energy. Not just any reflective "mirror" will do. In addition, if the laser system was accurate enough to target areas of the craft that couldn't have a counter measure system (i.e. cockpit, optical window, exhaust nozzles) it's still game over.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

That's where the virtual cockpit comes in. No more need for a canopy to expose the pilot.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

With a virtual cockpit, you probably could go faster and it would be safer during reentry at LEO, right?

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Safer everywhere. No more bird strikes coming through the canopy to risk injuring the pilot, no more cracked windscreens, etc.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I love threads such as this, because you can just sit back and watch good minds at work.

Bravo to all.

Keep up the good work.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I've always wondered why "Outlaws" in SciFi have never thought of wearing a mirror suit?! When I can be killed by a "Blaster" or ANY sort, I'll be hot glueing mirrors to a suit and be invincible!

In all seriousness, we all thought we'd have jet packs by 2000. So, frankly I'm a little disappointed that we are just now getting there with this tech. We would be silly to think that if they ate telling us about this that its the latest and greatest. They are light years past what they actually tell us about. SR-71 should tell us all we need to know about how big the lag between invention and full disclosure.
edit on 16-9-2014 by wastedown because: blasted Autocorrect!

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: wastedown

Actually that's a horrible example to use. The SR-71 was announced before it ever made its first flight, and most of the details about it were public almost from the start, except for where it flew over.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP

True about the "dog fight is no more" argument that has been around for years. I don't think the dog fight will ever be completely gone, just change with the deployment of DEW's. Tactics, distances for maneuvers may adapt to DEW's.
The scary thing to me about them is the lack of advanced warning. A targeted aircraft won't know they are being shot at till they catch fire and explode. At least with missiles, even AESA warheads with their reduced warning time, you have some warning something is coming your way. Lasers hit at the speed of light and are virtually undetectable till they are fired at you, and as far as I know un-defeatable.

Lasers are easily redirected with prisms or mirrors. A smart skin that would turn highly reflective at a sensed rapid temp change would be the counter armor any half decent science fiction writer would dream up on the spot.
this is not true of more powerful lasers. prisms and mirrors may be fine for a university level optics lab laser. but because no mirror is 100 percent efficient a strong laser beam will heat up the mirror and the material behind the mirror until it reaches the point of failure. first generation weapons grade lasers may be relatively weak but laser tech is coming along that will raise by a couple of factors of ten the power and reduce the necessary dwell time.

slab and fiber lasers are additive. that means the beams from individual emitters can be combined into a single beam with the power of all of the individual emitters added together. with these types of laser it is even possible to steer the beam using no moving parts, turrets, bull or worm gears or hydraulics. aimed at nearly light speed. cooling is lighter and less problematic because the individual emitter elements are lower wattage. it eliminates bulky pumps plumbing reservoirs and radiators making the footprint smaller and greatly reduces the weight and maintenance requirements and along with the solid state nature of the laser makes the units more ruggedized and suitable for battlespace conditions.

it has been recently discovered that if you bracket a laser beam with a set of short pulsed beams you can create a wave guide to keep the main beam together with very little divergence or attenuation. this means the beam is very nearly as powerful at the target as it was as it left the the laser array.
edit on 16-9-2014 by stormbringer1701 because: critical typo

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormbringer1701

originally posted by: TinfoilTP

this is not true of more powerful lasers. prisms and mirrors may be fine for a university level optics lab laser. but because no mirror is 100 percent efficient a strong laser beam will heat up the mirror and the material behind the mirror until it reaches the point of failure. first generation weapons grade lasers may be relatively weak but laser tech is coming along that will raise by a couple of factors of ten the power and reduce the necessary dwell time.

slab and fiber lasers are additive. that means the beams from individual emitters can be combined into a single beam with the power of all of the individual emitters added together. with these types of laser it is even possible to steer the beam using no moving parts, turrets, bull or worm gears or hydraulics. aimed at nearly light speed. cooling is lighter and less problematic because the individual emitter elements are lower wattage. it eliminates bulky pumps plumbing reservoirs and radiators making the footprint smaller and greatly reduces the weight and maintenance requirements and along with the solid state nature of the laser makes the units more ruggedized and suitable for battlespace conditions.

it has been recently discovered that if you bracket a laser beam with a set of short pulsed beams you can create a wave guide to keep the main beam together with very little divergence or attenuation. this means the beam is very nearly as powerful at the target as it was as it left the the laser array.

Beat me to it. A laser that could bring down an aircraft or missile would prob vaporize a mirror. Lol

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   
They've been working on this since 1982. lol. It might work and get put in a plane one day.

This is from 1982.

Flow Control for an Airborne Laser Turret

arc.aiaa.org...

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 11:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: JimTSpock
They've been working on this since 1982. lol. It might work and get put in a plane one day.

This is from 1982.

Flow Control for an Airborne Laser Turret

arc.aiaa.org...

you will not need a turret anymore. an emitter array will be similar to the face of a phased array radar or a LED monitor or TV. The analogy holds for the viewing angle of such monitors. a stationary array will be able to shoot somewhere around 85 degrees port and starboard of the center axis and in elevation pretty much the same limits.

you could go with a turret but it is unecessary with multiple arrays. also a turret adds unnecessary weight, unnecessary mechanical points of failure, uneccessary time wasted while slewing around to get a firing solution, and a mechanical aiming system can be successfully evaded far more easily than a solid state system and would be partially negated by the rest of the air frame. you cannot fire through your own plane so a turret designed to increase the already formidable sector of fire would be unable to fire through at least half of it's intended coverage area. but with solid state arrays you could get 360 coverage with as few as two arrays especially if they were conformal arrays.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join