It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

David Cameron - No to English Parliament

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot
a reply to: theabsolutetruth
Sorry but you will have to explain why Scotland with educated workforce, vast natural resources, positive balance of payments and higher GDP per capita is going to suffer this financial armageddon?

Not entirely true regarding natural resources. It's very likely that the Shetland Islands will vote against independence and remain part if the UK and as such this will reduce the amount if oil revenue for Scotland massively.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

That's the problem I'm afraid. A lot of English people are scared of change. They tend to live with the mantra "better the devil you know" and this means sadly there will never be any hope.

Yes some will vote for fringe parties, but that's all they will amount to, why? Because at the end of the day when the voting majority stands in the voting station they defer to the original three.

A few months ago on BBC they were asking members of the public which way they would vote for the European elections and it was astonishing when they asked this lady, and do you know what she said?

"when I was little my mother turned to me and said, this was a labour household and that's the way it is and that's the way you will vote" and the idiot said that even though she didn't support their views anymore she would still be voting for them because it was what her family had told her to do decades ago.

How many idiots like that do we have in this country that vote a certain way because their families have voted that way for generations? That's not democracy... That's just stupidity.

You know people say, why vote for these small parties it's just a wasted vote. Yes but if everyone did vote for these parties then it wouldn't be a wasted vote, would it?

In the end it comes down to having the courage for change and most people in England are scared of things not working out. My answer to that is yes it's scary, yes it might be hard, but you usually have to work hard for the best things in life. So stop voting for the three parties that have gotten comfortable and shake up the system. At the very minimum it might scare the main parties into the action of listening to the English public.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: RobbieK

I feel for you, I lived in Scotland for nearly a decade and loved it and the people, however it was the YES campaign and mainly on social Media that instigated the racism, and anti English rhetoric. What's the English supposed to do, just sit back and take it?

This referendum has caused a lot of damage between the English and Scots, let's hope that time will heal the damage done.
edit on 16.9.2014 by flammadraco because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: DAZ21

A week ago i would have agreed with your points but now even I want the Scots to vote yes as do a lot of English folk I know after seeing how much the (some) Scots actually hate the English.

Even I've changed my mind from no to yes in the last week.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: flammadraco

Dear Mr Cameron, I'm afraid Westminster has been beasting us up for far too long in the metaphorical sense to be playing happy families any longer now get lost and ruin some poor English wanes existence ya smug nonsensical fool.

edit on 16-9-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Only even if Shetland did somehow stay in UK. (it wont unless all of Scotland does) the oil is still Scottish as it would be an island enclave with only 12 miles water (not much oil there)

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Can you give an example what the current Government has done to Scotland that has not been done to Northern Ireland, Wales or England?

Remember had the previous two Scottish Prime Ministers we had for 12 years not run the country into the ground then you would not have austerity in the UK at the moment such as the bed room tax.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
The only mentions I have seen about ethnic origin has been from the no campaign. You might get a few numpty racists on either side but in general there has been very little anger within the campaign. Most English people living in Scotland that I know are voting yes.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   

I beg to differ, The Shetland Isles have an opt out clause and do not hold Holyrood in high regard and in the event of a yes vote, I can almost guarantee that Shetlands will vote no.

What is your source for the 12 miles of water? Think you may need to research that as Scotland's Coastal water border to the North will be dramatically reduced. I would provide a map for you but on mobile at the moment.

link   

I know I actually want them to gain independence too, I believe I've agreed with you on another independence thread.

The fact is regardless of what happens with the outcome of this referendum now, if the English themselves want change then we are the only ones that can change our own destiny.

We need to get people to vote differently if we are to change the status quo. I've just got a bad feeling that we will never take our own chance at change in this country because the majority are scared of change.
edit on 16-9-2014 by DAZ21 because: (no reason given)

link   

Then you are either wilfully ignoring the fact or wearing rose tinted glasses.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   

I could give you a few examples of what 300 years of English rule from a distance accomplished, but then again i'm biased given the fact that i wish to be free.

Poll tax was not implemented by any prime minister of Scottish descent now was it?

What about the Milk and School trips the Tory government stole from our school children?

Or the simple fact that our vote counts for nothing with regards to the current administration occupying number 10. Time for us to do our own thing.

We no longer need nor require Westminsters supposed contribution to our society.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Oh no, how evil we've been, we took away your milk!

And what do you mean your vote counts for nothing? Anytime you vote for Labour you vote for Scotland.

Remember Gordon Brown?
edit on 16-9-2014 by DAZ21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: DAZ21

Correction they took away our Children's Milk!

If you cannot accept the fact that that's just not cricket, i dont know why!

End of the day i'm sure the Scottish nations wishes will speak for themselves come the 18th.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   
wingsoverscotland.com...
Posting links from phone is a major pain. Wings obviously biased sources but has links to sources.

edit on 16-9-2014 by ScepticScot because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Love the Poll Tax argument, yes it came to Scotland first but took the English to riot to have it abolished.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Exactly Scots protest makes no difference,English protest gets repealed. Another reason to vote yes

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   

That just goes to prove the fact Westminster does not give a dam regarding the wishes of the Scottish people. Takes English Men to riot before they pay any attention to the demands of the population.

We have went down the democratic road and followed the letter of the law to a tee, come the 18th, if indeed a YES vote is the will of the people hopefully we can go our separate ways politically speaking and still remain good neighbours to one another. Thats all anybody can hope for I imagine.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Very well said. Some people seem to wish destructive ill feeling after the vote when the reality is this has been a model for democratic self determination. No war, no riots just people being engaged in politics and the future of our country.

edit on 16-9-2014 by ScepticScot because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join