It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama to Send 3,000 troops to Tackle Ebola

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I don't think it's necessary to call people who disagree with you names.

I disagree with the US policy of always sending troops in harm's way. I believe it will be a vector for spreading this disease across the US, as another poster has already stated.

I don't think some people here appreciate the danger involved in dealing with this disease. It is a virus that could render us extinct.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Restricted
I

I don't think some people here appreciate the danger involved in dealing with this disease. It is a virus that could render us extinct.

And I dont think people appreciate the danger of ignoring it and letting it get out of control to the point it goes global.

It needs to be delt with NOW. And as its a GLOBAL problem the USA,UK, France should be there as they are now.

Its a GLOBAL issue, it affects the USA, Europe, China ect

Sticking your head in the sand and hoping someone else deals with it is stupid!

Fact is the USA,UK and France are the best equipment and have the most expertise in dealing with things like this so those three country's SHOULD be there.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Point out where I said it should be ignored.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Ziath
a reply to: Mon1k3r
a reply to: VVV88
a reply to: new_here
a reply to: kitzik
a reply to: 200Plus
a reply to: Restricted

Here's the thing. Ebola is mutating rapidly - the longer H2H transmission occurs, the more mutations will accumulate. Maybe it will go airborne, but most important, ongoing rapid mutation threatens the viability of new treatments and vaccines - all developed for specific strains. Point being, if more new strains emerge, treatments and vaccines in development now will be obsolete before production even starts.

The only real solution is to try and stop the epidemic in West Africa. Yes, it may be too late. But there's still a chance so we have to try - because NOT trying just guarantees failure.

edit on 17/9/14 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I don't argue that people are necessary to combat this outbreak. I'm sick of so many Americans being subjected to negative environments. We go everywhere, do everything.

Other countries need to contribute more than they are.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Yes.
When one paints and positions oneself as a "leader," others follow one's lead - and the consequences are negative or positive. Now that the USA has stepped out of the shadows and into the fray, I expect other nations will follow.

edit on 17/9/14 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: soficrow

Do you suppose these are volunteer's or a bunch of crash test dummies Obama is using to show his good will.

I can't wait to see how the VA will handle this one.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Battleline

It's not "good will." Coordination and logistics support are desperately needed. No - they're not doctors and nurses, but they're important. ...There's a strategy shift now to provide "at-home Ebola kits" and teach people how to care for infected family members. Everyone seems to accept there'll never be enough doctors and hospital beds.

Good comment about the VA.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Back in the 90's a book called the Hot Zone was published. It was written by Richard Preston.

*info from amazon*

he bestselling landmark account of the first emergence of the Ebola virus. A highly infectious, deadly virus from the central African rain forest suddenly appears in the suburbs of Washington, D.C. There is no cure. In a few days 90 percent of its victims are dead. A secret military SWAT team of soldiers and scientists is mobilized to stop the outbreak of this exotic "hot" virus. The Hot Zone tells this dramatic story, giving a hair-raising account of the appearance of rare and lethal viruses and their "crashes" into the human race. Shocking, frightening, and impossible to ignore, The Hot Zone proves that truth really is scarier than fiction.

I read it when it first came out. And it made a huge impression on me. Ever since, my ears would perk up when an Ebola outbreak would pop up (which it usually does every few years)

When this outbreak of Ebola broke out, it felt different, it seemed different. Usually it would make the news, be the talk for a bit, then calm down, and simply go away. This time, it seemed to jump borders quickly, numbers spiked, it became more scary. A serious feeling of "OH SH*T" fell over me.

On previous threads about this Ebola outbreak, left me shaking my head. So many were buying the 'I'm not worried, it won't come here" Or barely batted an eye when they brought the American medical people who contacted it. (general broad sweeping generzations I know.. sorry) Remember how easy going it was when the Doctor was brought home, how he just saunterd out of the ambulance, strolling into the hospital. No fan fair, no real security set up.. Remember how the Nurse had a bit more amped up arrival.. remember the conspiracy bent, that it was a staged thing, that they were already there? Remember the stark contrast to Spain bring home their Priest?

How do you shake the younger pups here, and say "Hey, you might want to put down your ps4's a bit, take off the tinfoil hats and really think about this, and pay attention.. this is getting serious kids"! You can't.

I am not saying that The Hot Zone is a blueprint of how things will go down, I will say it explains the evolutionary process of a virus, and what role the Military might/should/could play. it is an interesting read, and one that will stick with you.

Like I said, this go with Ebola is different. It has jumped borders faster, killed more people and spreading like wildfire. I am not too thrilled with the Military going in, but understand why. And the one word that is whispered, and occasionally mentioned in the news is 'mutating". When we publicly hear that our Military is going in, things are out of control and it bumps up the scary factor.

I'll admit, I love doom p0rn as much as the next person, but this is for real. This should be taken seriously. And this should have an eye on it. Lets be honest, something will happen next week, this story will be pushed down, our ADD attention spans will move on to something else. This really will become a story you have to hunt and find info on. I give it 10 days tops.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   

I don't argue that people are necessary to combat this outbreak. I'm sick of so many Americans being subjected to negative environments. We go everywhere, do everything.

Dont you grasp simple mathematics?

Lets dumb it down.

USA army =HUGE

UK Army= small

Therefore UK army can only send less. Get it?

How is the UK expected to send the same amount as the USA when its army is only a fraction of the USA?

Lets put it another way.

1) America is the super power

2) America has a vastly bigger military

3) America has a vastly bigger pharmaceutical industry

4) America has a vastly bigger economy

5) America has huge population.

Thats =

America always having to do more cause it is THE WORLD SUPER POWER.

Dont like it?

Well do what the UK disband its oversea "Empire" slash its military from being a world police force to a defence force and retired quietly to being a 1st world power but not super power?

No you want to remain the world superpower? Well tough you got to pull a bigger load.
edit on 17-9-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Being a wiener does not make your argument valid. I get that you think help should be proportional to population. I got that two pages ago.

What you don't get is that Americans are weary of leading every world effort.

Take out your anger somewhere else.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   

What you don't get is that Americans are weary of leading every world effort.

Well tough basically?

As I said dont like then get your congress to cut back on its huge world police forces and take a back seat like Norway ect as rich first world country with a defence force rather than a world dominating superpower force.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Restricted

...Americans are weary of leading every world effort

Don't worry. I hear China is ready to take over. And btw - China led the world getting into West Africa first and biggest to fight Ebola.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   

The troops to be dispatched to Africa will not be providing "direct patient care," White House spokesman Josh Earnest said, but instead provide logistical and engineering support to health care professionals. Earnest said the involvement of the U.S. military should give people confidence in the plan, both in Africa and worldwide.

Source: www.usatoday.com...

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Bottom line: Folks are worried that this Ebola could impact key corporations over there and their investments. Or its being hyped to create a need to pour money into GMO tobacco for a cure. I'm already wondering if Ebola's spread didn't have a little help.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

To clarify for all non-Americans:

Our government is no longer under our control. It does what it wants and not based on our wishes.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Ebola and the truth behind why you will not get Ebola in the US

Do you ever wonder why US has been unscathed when it comes to very serious and dangerous virus that affects other countries?

virus like highly contagious Bird Flu, lassa fever that mimics ebola and the H1N1 pandemic that never happen.

Well read and you will get your mind at ease

www.washingtonpost.com...

What the government is doing is letting people get all workout on the dangers of Ebola and is working, even I got worked out when the first two infected Americans were brought to the US like that selling a vaccine that we may not need could become a reality, just like the H1N1 in 2009.

But are we in danger, well some experts explain why we are not.
edit on 17-9-2014 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Marg,

That article tells me that the government is covering up what goes on in the contagious disease sector. I read a lot of news. I've seen nothing on Lassa fever being here, for instance.
edit on 9/17/2014 by Restricted because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   

a reply to: crazyewok

To clarify for all non-Americans:

Our government is no longer under our control. It does what it wants and not based on our wishes.

*scratches head*

Simple question as a non American if I may?

Who voted for your government?

You folks knew well that your current leader would lie out of his arse just like the others before him (like most world political leaders)

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 17/9/14 by Rodinus because: Phrase added

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: ZeroReady
He should have started with spec ops troops on the ground to gather intel on ebola, followed by targeted airstrikes against its infrastructure. A psy-Ops campaign could then be used to weaken support for ebola, and finally an amphibious Marine assault on the fortified ebola palace, with hovercraft.

If we don't stop ebola now, it'll be in our cities, our schools, and our churches.

We are gonna have to nuke em.

Its the only way to be sure.

Cant have our troops coming back with a "radicalized" view. They might just wanna "infect" the rest of us with their crazy ideologies.
Like "terrorists".

On the real though....

When did we start shooting viruses with bullets?

Aint that like trying to crack a nut with a moon?

edit on 20149America/Chicago09pm9pmWed, 17 Sep 2014 12:52:36 -05000914 by OneManArmy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join