It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama to Send 3,000 troops to Tackle Ebola

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Since you've gone way off the reservation now I just plain give up trying to make my point. You win.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: JHumm
I don't think sending troops to do the job that Specialized doctors couldn't do is going to work.

These are NOT just troop but Specialized unit and Specialized doctors with the latest equipment.

The reason these "Specialized doctors" working for doctors without borders have been failing is because they cant even get basic rubber gloves and disinfectants.

I heard most of the troops will be there for logistical reasons. Setting up hospitals like mash units and such. Over there they hardly have any hospitals and if they do I read they were full up. So that makes me believe there are people dying in there homes with no care at all. If they are getting any care it is from relatives who then get the disease. Basically it is a CF over there with no sense of any organization. We can at least get it somewhat organized and see where we are at. Also pray and hope for the best and if you don't believe in prayer, by all means do something.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   
This might sound stupid, but can someone tell me how you fight a virus with guns and troops?

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   
sending in troops... to fight... a spreading disease...
holy #, it's blatant they want this coming to us. hope ebola spreads through D.C. first so those corrupt #s can reap what they're sowing.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Right.. because the Army for example, is 100% infantry... they don't have any other MOS available.

It's a great move imo.. there is no point continuing as a nation if we can't be empathetic and attempt to help where needed. Especially when this CAN effect our own country, in a very bad way.

People complain when Obama sends troops to war. They complain when he sends troops to try and help an outbreak. The dude really can't win.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I was infantry for 8 years. I know a little bit about the logistics end of a deployment. I could understand re-deploying Ft. Sam Houston to Liberia to help contain an outbreak, but out of three thousand troops, how many of them do you think are going to be medics? I'll tell you how many. One per platoon.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   
"Obama Sends 3000 'Military Advisors" to Baghdad. I think that's about how the headline read not so long ago. Really? 3000 military advisors? More like 3000 guys who like to kick in doors and shoot faces. Don't believe the hype.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
a reply to: soficrow

ever see first hand their navel excercises? I haven't either but my son's ship has been in more than a few. He has told me many stories of them ramming each other accidentally during them.
I'm not so confident when it comes to their coordination skills!

That's the Navy. Obama's sending the Army.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: GreenMtnBoys
a reply to: SloAnPainful

Not good points. Un-informed.

China already has 115 staff and a Chinese-funded hospital in Sierra Leone - and now is sending a mobile laboratory with another 59 staff. China also sends doctors to Guinea and Liberia, and funds hospitals there too, and sends supplies, and, and.....

So far Cuba and China have said they will send medical staff to Sierra Leone. Cuba will deploy 165 people in October while China is sending a mobile laboratory with 59 staff to speed up testing for the disease. It already has 115 staff and a Chinese-funded hospital there.

08-11-2014China has sent expert teams and medical supplies to Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone to assist with the prevention and control of the Ebola virus. In Guinea, the 23rd batch of medical teams have been working around the clock to handle the epidemic.

About five months ago, when the general Chinese public didn't know anything about the Ebola outbreak, a team of Chinese medical experts were already facing the risk of death every day.

Cao was one of the 19 people on the Anzhen Hospital's expert team sent to the China-Guinea Friendship Hospital in Conakry, capital of Guinea, in 2012 as part of a tradition to help out with medical practices there. The team encountered the Ebola outbreak, and Cao has even been quarantined.

The Beijing Friendship Hospital, which sent the 24th Chinese medical team to Guinea on Saturday for a two-year aid mission....

edit on 16/9/14 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Obama sends 3,000 troops to catch Ebola and bring it back to the States. Obama's Ebola conspiracy to declare martial law and hand over control of the US to the UN and turn America into a communist slave state for China. It's happening be afraid be very afraid. Then Hillary the reptillian shapeshifter will join forces with Dick Cheney and begin their plan of world domination. I learnt all this on ATS.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 09:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mon1k3r
I was infantry for 8 years. I know a little bit about the logistics end of a deployment. I could understand re-deploying Ft. Sam Houston to Liberia to help contain an outbreak, but out of three thousand troops, how many of them do you think are going to be medics? I'll tell you how many. One per platoon.

Actually you don't have any idea, you are guessing. I was in the Army for many years. Just because you were a grunt doesn't mean you know all the logistics of this deployment due to a serious medical emergency.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   
The details are starting to come out about "Operation United Assistance."

….The troops to be dispatched to Africa will not be providing "direct patient care," White House spokesman Josh Earnest said, but instead provide logistical and engineering support to health care professionals. Earnest said the involvement of the U.S. military should give people confidence in the plan, both in Africa and worldwide.

….The Obama plan includes training up to 500 health care workers a week, and construction of up to 17 health care facilities of 100 beds each. Home health care kits will be distributed, and local populations will be trained on how to handle suddenly infected Ebola patients.

"We need to educate people on how to safely care for their loved ones," Brantly said.

...."There simply aren't going to be enough beds," Isaacs said.

"We ran Ebola treatment centers for two months and we were totally overwhelmed," Isaacs said. "Isolating people in their homes and training the family members to protect themselves is the way we can influence disease transmission."

Obama: Ebola outbreak 'demands a truly global response'

Calling Ebola a threat to both global health and national security, President Obama said Tuesday he is sending 3,000 troops to West Africa to help contain the deadly virus and prevent it from spreading to the United States and across the globe.

….The plan has four general goals, Obama said: to control the Ebola outbreak, prevent "ripple effects" that could lead to economic and humanitarian disasters, coordinate a global response, and build up Africa's public health care system.

….The troops to be dispatched to Africa will not be providing "direct patient care," White House spokesman Josh Earnest said, but instead provide logistical and engineering support to health care professionals. Earnest said the involvement of the U.S. military should give people confidence in the plan, both in Africa and worldwide.

..."There is no guarantee of success, but there would be a guarantee of failure if Obama hadn't announced this plan," said Lucey, an adjunct professor of microbiology and immunology at Georgetown University Medical Center.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: kalunom

Those "troops" aren't going over there for Ebola aid. Rest assured it's for other clandestine purposes.

edit on 16-9-2014 by VVV88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Are ANY of these "troops" Army doctors, nurses or medics? Because that is what they need. You can't exactly shoot at Ebola and kill it without killing the host.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Obama sent 3000 troops to liberate Liberia from Ebola. Let me grok this mumbo-jumbo.
East is east and West is west and Africa is Africa and they will never come together except one place.
Hallelujah Jerusalem !

Ok, to be serious they are going to quarantine much of the area where this disease spreads through and shoot everyone attempting to leave
closed zone, my best guess.
edit on 17-9-2014 by kitzik because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 12:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: fleabit

Actually you don't have any idea, you are guessing. I was in the Army for many years. Just because you were a grunt doesn't mean you know all the logistics of this deployment due to a serious medical emergency.

I have an idea, and here's the point: 1500 people have died from the outbreak so far. I can understand sending a contingent of Army DOCTORS to help support the effort already under way. Do you know how much money it costs to send 3000 troops to Liberia? Much, much more than necessary. The types of troops that will be sent will be infantry and military police, and their mission will be crowd control, PKO, and low-intensity conflict, where ever those things are necessary. I'm guessing based on experience and common sense. This is an outbreak of disease, and it's not as freaking scary as the media would like us all to believe. There is no reasonable explanation for deployment of an entire brigade of troops. You realize that if all 3000 of those soldiers were medics or in a medical MOS, they would have to pull from 5 or 6 different posts to collect them all, unless it was Ft. Sam Houston.
edit on 777 by Mon1k3r because: Because gold is 200 times the value of silver.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 01:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Mon1k3r

Nearly 2300 now, if those official stats are to be believed.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: new_here

Are ANY of these "troops" Army doctors, nurses or medics? Because that is what they need. You can't exactly shoot at Ebola and kill it without killing the host.

Yes - West Africa needs doctors, nurses and medics - they also desperately need coordination, logistics control and other management capabilities. This is the role assigned to the US contingent.

I'm sure the US also would send personnel capable of providing direct patient care if the outcry were less panicky.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Mon1k3r

Drop 3000 soldiers in an outbreak zone for a month or two, then bring them home and send them to their original units.

Within a month their peers would be spreading the disease into their families and then into the surrounding community.

Best part?

The MILITARY gets the blame, as the disease would be seen as coming from the military posts.

Everyone knows how much president Obama loves the military of Imperialist America. Muahahahaha

Just food for thought. I'm not crazy enough to believe something like this

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 08:24 AM
link   

This might sound stupid, but can someone tell me how you fight a virus with guns and troops?

Dont know how the US army works but the UK army does a lot more than shot people.

It wont be front line combat troops sent in it will be logistical support troops, engineers and a few medical units.

Remember the army can build bases and set up supply routes better than anyone.

The engineer units will set up much needed temporary hospitals and the logistics personal will get the needed supply's to the hospital s that are suffering badly due to lack of basic equipment.

Plus to all the blockheads who are against this.

Not only is beating ebola in west Africa going to save YOU and YOUR family's future risk of it comeing over to the USA.

But deployments like this are good for training and keeping troops sharp. Army's that tend to sit around doing nothing get beat pretty quick. Getting experience in as many different situation as possible is good practice.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join