It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama to Send 3,000 troops to Tackle Ebola

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: kalunom
If you can't fight terrorism, fight epidemics.

I guess.

Really, sending 3,000 troops there (can you imagine being one of those 3,000?) is a really bad idea, in my opinion. No, thank you, Mr. President.

so you would you do ? sit at home with your head buried in the sand waiting for it to hit a USA city? Great plan.

One does not have to be human, brown and holding a AK47 to be a threat to national security.

I certainly wouldn't send troops there to become infected and come back to American cities. Or European, or Chinese, or Cubans or anyone not already in the infected area.

Thank you for the insight into "brown people" and AK-47's, very enlightening. This is a threat from nature, there is a bit of a difference.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Well, if the UK sends the troups it will wind up on our doorstep later. So why are you so against the UK sending three thousand of their troups anyway?

Seems like it is a good idea to you as long as you aren't involved. Maybe you should volunteer.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: kalunom

West Africans are scared, desperate and begging for help. ....Can't believe everyone waited so long - or that some still don't bloody get it. Here's what one aid worker saw:

Ebola: 'In decades of humanitarian work, I've never seen such suffering'

….In one afternoon last week I watched five seemingly fit, healthy, young men die. I gave the first a bottle of oral rehydration solution and came back with another for the second. In the half a minute or so in which I had been away the first man died, his bottle of water spilt across the floor. The four others followed in quick succession.

…..I believe MSF is doing a fantastic job, but we are only able to care for a minority of the people in Monrovia who have Ebola. We also work in the north of the country, but every county is now reporting cases and we have absolutely no capacity to respond.

It is extremely sad to see the indifference of the international community with regards to this epidemic. It is great to see an added interest and investment in research for vaccines, but we urgently need experts who are physically present and more structures on the ground here in west Africa, where the situation continues to be catastrophic.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Aren't there any terminally ill medical professionals that can go instead of perfectly healthy people?

This is probably why I'll never be president.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Restricted
There are 3000 people from a specific country working in Africa? I don't think so.

Other countries may have sent people, but not as many as we have. Typical.

Guess what?

USA army is about 10x bigger than the UK and France.

How are we meant to match that? We cant.

USA is a the world bloody superpower?

Dont want to pull you bloody weight? Then stop empire building and cut your defence budget to that of a normal DEFENCE budget.

But if you going to control most of the world resources and have a vastly bigger armed forces? Guess what? Your going to be expected to give more.

SO YEAH TYPICAL! TYPICAL cause the USA have vastly more resources and manpower!

Dont like then whine to your congressman to cut back on international offensive military capability.s

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Why is it always the US who has to do these things? Why doesn't Europe or Asia or Russia or South America step in?

I'm sick to death of it always being the US in harm's way.

Its not always easy leading the way through darkness Restricted. Somebody has to however...
NAMASTE*******

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

Well, if the UK sends the troups it will wind up on our doorstep later. So why are you so against the UK sending three thousand of their troups anyway?

Seems like it is a good idea to you as long as you aren't involved. Maybe you should volunteer.

Im not against the UK sending troops?

Were have I said I am?

We have sent troops. and I support that.

Unfortunately our army numbers only about 80,000 that split defending the UK, Gibralter, the Falklands and carrying out the USA foreign policy bidding so its not easy to send 3000. But I support the 300 we have send and will very gladly support the UK if it wants to sends more.

If the UK can find another 2700 to send? Im totally cool with that.
edit on 16-9-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   
You know, we can possibly harbor some microbes symbiotically that can cause an epidemic in some of those areas. I am wondering if we should even be going over there and mingling with people. We could do more harm than good.

We will haul people we get sick with some other kind of virus with similar symptoms into the hospital shelters and they will get Ebola from the people in the shelter area. I saw a documentary on PBS of them there, all of the patients were confined to a big area. This sure will make the numbers of people dying of Ebola look bigger if someone with an enterovirus is put in there then dies of Ebola later.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   

UK AND FRANCE AND EVEN CUBA ARE INVOLVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

READ THE FREAKING NEWS!!!!!!!!

So is China.

....Can an entire nation have Narcissistic Personality Disorder?

Just kinda wonderin'.

edit on 16/9/14 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   

The US has lost enough people. Let someone else die for the cause.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Well if the USA had not stepped in then I bet that within 1 years you would be lying on the floor bleeding to death out your arse and you will likely cry why on earth didn't the USA government try and stop it sooner.

Luckly the USA and Europe are smart enough to see long term beyond stupid "why me" mentality and hopefully will stop that future from happening.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Which is why the UK is too chickens*** to go. They don't want it at home either.

I see Bonny Prince George bleeding out in about the same time frame.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Which is why the UK is too chickens*** to go. They don't want it at home either.

Cant you read the UK HAS sent its troops.

But our army is vastly smaller and tied but in your American messes in the ME so yeah we only sent 300 but we have sent people and I would support more if we can find some to spare.

I see Bonny Prince George bleeding out in about the same time frame

The whole royal family can die for all I give a dam your point?

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: soficrow

Well I'm kinda sitting both ways on this. I've read most of the posts in the thread and both sides make good arguments.

One had it's good we are trying to do something about this epidemic. While at the same time I don't think it's wise to risk our own people in the process.

However it would be bad if we had the chance to stop and it didn't and this becomes much much worse. I say in the end this might be better then worse. Hopefully I'm right and not wrong..

-SAP-

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I'm all for a team effort. I'm just tired of the US always leading the charge.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Hey genius! It's ALREADY spread OUT of Africa! Africa has Several wealthy nations that could step up to the plate. I don't care!!!! We have been helping Africa for 50+ years and nothing changes over there! We have Americans IN OUR OWN country that need help.

And no people that are fighting this disease are not a better human man or human being you wanna know why? Because I pledged my love for my wife as a husband and I'm a father who brought two precious little lives into this world and I will do anything to protect them and be here to provide for them in every capacity! THAT makes me a hero to them!! They are the most important people in the world not a bunch of poor uneducated Africans still living like its the 18th century. If this became widespread in the US yes we all would do what we can to fight it. But this thing is already out if the bag!!!!!!!!!!! Make these African morons instead of burning down hospitals and aid centers they might abandon their voo doo ways and LEARN something from those willing to help. The CDC and US government dropped the F'ing ball ! Let Obama and his administration go over there and help! Hell he's from Kenya!!!!!! They are his people NOT mine! F'k Africa!

And you say the Chinese and others are helping ? Gimme a break. 59 Chinese manning a hospital? Wow so generous of a country with BILLIONS of people.

You're acting like we are running away from Chernobyl! Very different scenario!

And like I said IF American troops are going to save Africans they sure as hell better make ALOT of money doing it!
edit on 16-9-2014 by GreenMtnBoys because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: GreenMtnBoys

And you say the Chinese and others are helping ? Gimme a break. 59 Chinese manning a hospital? Wow so generous of a country with BILLIONS of people.

Very good point here.

You would think they could give hundreds or even thousands of professionals to help tackle this. However they don't... I have to agree with you on this and the rest of your points.

-SAP-

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   

I'm all for a team effort. I'm just tired of the US always leading the charge.

Unfortunately the USA is the bigger team.

Id be all for the UK sending more. But the numbers speak for themselfs

British Army: 125,430 (soon to be 90,000)

US Army : 546,047

US Marines : 194,000 active

If the UK can find 3000 men Im 100% for them going to west Africa. But remember the UK deployed almost everywhere the US is and it has less men plus it has some area like the Falkland that are possible flash points.....

Now I Personally think the UK should be bigger. Many of us Brits do. But as it stands its not and it would take months to raise more men.

So the USA is leading the charge. Remember the USA was the one that made the UK and France dismantle there empires after world war 2. If it had not then the USA may have had bigger bader allies to help them out like in WW2 and Korea, but thats not how it played out and the USA is now the sole superpower

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

Well if the USA had not stepped in then I bet that within 1 years you would be lying on the floor bleeding to death out your arse and you will likely cry why on earth didn't the USA government try and stop it sooner.

Luckly the USA and Europe are smart enough to see long term beyond stupid "why me" mentality and hopefully will stop that future from happening.

No the minute it becomes widespread in the USA people will deal with it like a civilized first world nation by listening to those who are the experts instead of shooting workers and burning down hospitals. It's offensive for you to think fellow Americans would act like Africans in a situation like that.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ophiuchus 13

Why is it always the US who has to do these things? Why doesn't Europe or Asia or Russia or South America step in?

I'm sick to death of it always being the US in harm's way.

Its not always easy leading the way through darkness Restricted. Somebody has to however...
NAMASTE*******

Your right someone has to. But there are many other capable countries out there that can do it. America is not the only country, and nor should we be..

-SAP-

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join