It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will an independant Scotland be part of NATO, UN treatise. Have a Military?

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: flammadraco
a reply to: Soloprotocol

I agree, perhaps he should have allowed the third option on the ballot as Salmond requested in the first place.

That would require Cameron to be a competent politician.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: flammadraco

I think that any radical political change particularly concerning sovereignty etc, is always going to bring out the worst aspects of human behaviour. It is a divisive issue and a stark choice with no real in betweens or compromise available. In reality I think either outcome may serve the English people well. As for Scotland either way it's going to upset a lot of people. It is what it is and we can only watch it play out.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Latest pre-election polls show a narrow lead for the no-campaign. Of course it's not over yet, but going from experience late polls are very close to the final vote more often than not.

Ipsos MORI’s final Scottish referendum poll shows the No campaign with a very narrow lead, in line with other polls in recent days. Among those certain to vote, 50% say they will vote No, with 45% saying they will vote Yes and 4% still undecided. Excluding those undecided, 53% of certain voters say they intend to vote No, with 47% to vote Yes.

www.ipsos-mori.com... ery[m]/0/

I'm not a Scot nor a Brit, so not personally affected. But regardless of what the consequences might have been, i still thought a yes vote was pretty much a done deal.

If it really turns out to be 'no', was that expected?

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Millers

It was expected that the 'No' campaign would have been competent and fronted by someone with charisma. They were instead complacent and led (until the panic set in) by a man who has had his charisma surgically removed.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

Now i'm confused. Do you mean the yes campaign wouldn't have been so successful if someone other than Darling would have headed 'better together'?

What about you personally, did you ever think there was real chance for Scottish Independence?

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Win or Lose...Cameron and Co have shat it...Big Time.

That's two stars I've given you today.....the start of the reconciliation process?

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

Win or Lose...Cameron and Co have shat it...Big Time.

That's two stars I've given you today.....the start of the reconciliation process?

right back at you..

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Maybe when the referendum date was set.

Now I can only speak as an Englishman who whilst following the debate keenly only did so as an outsider looking in.
And if I'm being brutally honest I think many in the 'No' camp were quite dismissive of the 'Yes' voters and the discontent people have with Westminster.
The 'No' campaign was very negative and concentrated on trying to pick the 'No' argument to pieces instead of highlighting the positives of remaining within the Union.

The 'Yes' campaign promised the earth with little or no detail.

One things for certain; this debate has sparked an interest in political issues that I certainly haven't seen in the UK in my time and has raised awareness to a point that I think some sort of change, hopefully for the better for ALL of us, is inevitable.
The mood for change is growing.

My one concern over a 'No' vote is that once announced something will conveniently come along that will grab the publics attention and the momentum for change will be lost.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

The mood for change is growing.

My one concern over a 'No' vote is that once announced something will conveniently come along that will grab the publics attention and the momentum for change will be lost.

I hope the mood for change is growing...as for something will come along....We are going back into Iraq. i'm sure we will be hearing about that on Monday or before...quite Sad and not in my name.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   

We are going back into Iraq.

I was thinking something along them lines.

i'm sure we will be hearing about that on Monday or before...

Not sure when, or exactly what.....but I think whatever it is it'll be some time soon.

....quite Sad and not in my name.

Nor in mine.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   

I don't think we can do anything about that at the moment. When we went to Iraq with Blair, I along with over a million other people protested in London "not in our name" and we were ignored.

Slightly off topic, but I do think ISIS needs dealing with but it has to be the World (UN) leading the way with ME countries doing their fair share for a change.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Not in my name either fella, so if it's a No vote tomorrow how about save all that energy chasing independence and choose to work with us in Wales, N.Ireland, and England to make our Union something the world could envy?

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Slightly off topic, but I do think ISIS needs dealing with

Someone else's turn. How about the Saudi's, Jordanians or the Iranians deal with it. They have the Money as well as the firepower.
I'm sick of all this "But we are Muslim Arabs and it would look bad for us to wage war on other Muslims BS" ....get in there and defend your Muslim Brothers for Christ sake.
edit on 18-9-2014 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

I think the best way forward would be each country has it's own devolved government including the English and Westminster is used for all MPs to come together regarding defence, foreign policy and similar matters.

Is this a federal government?

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
Not in my name either fella, so if it's a No vote tomorrow how about save all that energy chasing independence and choose to work with us in Wales, N.Ireland, and England to make our Union something the world could envy?

Why not...But with everything else we need more than just people tutting...If anything has come from the Yes Campaign it has shown me and probably everyone else looking in that a well coordinated campaign can more than ruffle feathers.

I believe we may have put the wind up TPTB and i wouldn't like to be tasked with cleaning Dave's undercrackers in the Morning.
I think it was Franky Boyle who said...you couldn't remove the skid marks off dave's pants with fire.

edit on 18-9-2014 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I feel the Love in here tonight..

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol

Slightly off topic, but I do think ISIS needs dealing with

Someone else's turn. How about the Saudi's, Jordanians or the Iranians deal with it. They have the Money as well as the firepower.
I'm sick of all this "But we are Muslim Arabs and it would look bad for us to wage war on other Muslims BS" ....get in there and defend your Muslim Brothers for Christ sake.

Totally agree (getting to become a habit). The Iranians offered but were turned down, what a wasted opportunity to try and resolve issues with Iran
the common people Iranians are some of the nicest people in the World, such a shame.

I'll tell a Braveheart joke later and you and I can go back to our rhetoric

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Why not...But with everything else we need more than just people tutting...

Words are cheap......Acts and deeds are all that matter.

If anything has come from the Yes Campaign it has shown me and probably everyone else looking in that a well coordinated campaign can more than ruffle feathers.

Indeed.
Co-ordination is imperative....but probably even more important is an inspirational leader who enthuses and galvanises people.
The cause is there, the momentum is there.....but where is 'the leader'?

I believe we may have put the wind up TPTB and i wouldn't like to be tasked with cleaning Dave's undercrackers in the Morning.
I think it was Franky Boyle who said...you couldn't remove the skid marks off dave's pants with fire.

Cameron is surely a spent force now.
He's proved an ineffectual leader and marginalised huge sections and regions of the UK.
His own party is on the brink of meltdown - half want to see that buffoon Johnson replace him and the other half want to defect to UKIP but haven't got the balls and strength of conviction to do so.

So unless anyone has got any suggestions on who can lead us out of this malaise I suspect that despite the current mood for change we'll just slip back to same old same old.....and that my friends would border on criminal negligence.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: flammadraco

Is this a federal government?

Whatever it is it'd be a vast improvement on what we have at present.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

It's not a federal government, just looked up the definition and it said "government with a lot of Central power". That's what the issue is at the moment.

new topics

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23 >>

join