It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will an independant Scotland be part of NATO, UN treatise. Have a Military?

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot
Just to add now off for a 4 hour drive back over the border so if don't reply again tonight that is why. Have fun everyone.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: flammadraco

originally posted by: nonspecific
I imagine that is the rationale for them having armed forces.

However with no Armed forces they would be unable to involve themselves with world conflicts. Acts of terrorism are commited when groups of people either react to a threat or attack or use violence as a way to create change when all other methods prove inefctual.

I do not see how a terrorist group would have a motive to commit an act of violence against a small island that has no bearing on the cause they or fighting for? a reply to: DJW001

2007 Glasgow International Airport attack
Source

Committed not by a country but by the usual fanatical individuals that no country can defend itself against. However the event you mention was defended by someone who quite literally decked the terrorists with his fists whilst the terrorists were burning !!!!! Who needs an army when you have active citizens !!!

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

Perhaps your Rangers supporters friends lived in Airdrie which is right next to Coatbridge?

I was not down talking Coatbridge at all, what I said is fact but as usual the truth seems to hurt you somewhat. I've lived in Dublin and love the Irish and Coatbridge reminds me of the folk in Dublin. However as with every community you always get your bad apples, and the bad apples I met in Coatbridge have exactly the same Rhetoric as you do.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: yorkshirelad

I agree with your comments but bought that up in response to an opinion by another member.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot
a reply to: uncommitted
I think free prescriptions are hugely important. Firstly because they are an investment in good health. Its better for someone to be treated early rather than wait till the condition requires a hospital visit.
Secondly morally I happen to believe health care should be free.
Thirdly in England the system of excemptions is so complicated it reduces any financial benefit if charging to close to zero.
Agree that respect amongst posters is sometimes sadly lacking and appreciate your comment..

Thanks ScepticScot. I agree with the free prescription piece, as a partner of someone who will be on asthma medication the rest of their life, I can totally understand. I can't however see that Scotland can blame Westminster if providing it (through their choice) has not done their budget any favours. I guess I can only see it as making the choices that are morally right, but may expose other areas as equally needy to risk when frankly, there is only so much money to spend.

Sometimes people have to hold their hands up and say they made their choice rather than just blame others. I could of course say similar about education, but I hope I made a point that governments have a responsibility about how and where they spend what funds they have, rather than blame others, but that is I'm sure true all over the world.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   

I believe any property owned is nhs Scotland anything not would be covered by the normal distribution of assets and debt.
Of coyrse due to the joys of pfi a chunk is probably private owned

Any of the pfi stuff would be a cost to the trust that took it on I understand. Probably one of the big mistakes of the late 20th century financially.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Can you image the people living on the boarder? And the boarder control staff trying to control it...

If that was me I would pull this stunt, just for the fun of it...

Korg.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: yorkshirelad

originally posted by: nonspecific
I imagine that is the rationale for them having armed forces.

However with no Armed forces they would be unable to involve themselves with world conflicts. Acts of terrorism are commited when groups of people either react to a threat or attack or use violence as a way to create change when all other methods prove inefctual.

I do not see how a terrorist group would have a motive to commit an act of violence against a small island that has no bearing on the cause they or fighting for? a reply to: DJW001

2007 Glasgow International Airport attack
Source

Committed not by a country but by the usual fanatical individuals that no country can defend itself against. However the event you mention was defended by someone who quite literally decked the terrorists with his fists whilst the terrorists were burning !!!!! Who needs an army when you have active citizens !!!

Who..The Smeato??

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: uncommitted

I think free prescriptions are hugely important. Firstly because they are an investment in good health. Its better for someone to be treated early rather than wait till the condition requires a hospital visit.
Thirdly in England the system of excemptions is so complicated it reduces any financial benefit if charging to close to zero.
Agree that respect amongst posters is sometimes sadly lacking and appreciate your comment..

Thanks ScepticScot. I agree with the free prescription piece, as a partner of someone who will be on asthma medication the rest of their life, I can totally understand. I can't however see that Scotland can blame Westminster if providing it (through their choice) has not done their budget any favours. I guess I can only see it as making the choices that are morally right, but may expose other areas as equally needy to risk when frankly, there is only so much money to spend.

Sometimes people have to hold their hands up and say they made their choice rather than just blame others. I could of course say similar about education, but I hope I made a point that governments have a responsibility about how and where they spend what funds they have, rather than blame others, but that is I'm sure true all over the world.

You said it...Have you any idea of the Billions that are wasted year in year out in the UK.
We have Foodbanks and High levels of poverty....you know...The English, Welsh Northern Irish should be asking the same question as we are...where does all the Oil and Gas money go... this should be a bonus money to help stop poverty...looks to me like they use it for anything and everything other than help reduce poverty.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   

a reply to: angryhulk
Maybe you could tell grain that about a yes vote.

What, do you disagree that the continuing UK will negotiate very harshly, even savagely, against a foreign Scotland when deciding the terms of a divorce? All politicians smiles will be replaced with knives after any yes vote.
The current UK breaks UN resolutions and EU or other laws quite often when dealing with foreign nations.
The UK has been party to enough military conflict in many oil rich nations so why on earth would you think the UK government will not try to screw a foreign Scotland for every penny it can get? Scotland will be a soft political target for a continuing UK, a UK which will be run by a Conservative/Tory majority in Westminster, with representation in all the important world governmental organisations that Scotland doesn't even have observer status in.

I didn't think you were that naive.
edit on 17-9-2014 by grainofsand because: Typo

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

a reply to: angryhulk
Maybe you could tell grain that about a yes vote.

What, do you disagree that the continuing UK will negotiate very harshly, even savagely, against a foreign Scotland when deciding the terms of a divorce? All politicians smiles will be replaced with knives after any yes vote.
The current UK breaks UN resolutions and EU or other laws quite often when dealing with foreign nations.
The UK has been party to enough military conflict in many oil rich nations so why on earth would you think the UK government will not try to screw a foreign Scotland for every penny it can get? Scotland will be a soft political target for a continuing UK, a UK which will be run by a Conservative/Tory majority in Westminster, with representation in all the important world governmental organisations that Scotland doesn't even have observer status in.

I didn't think you were that naive.

Nemo me impune lacessit.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   
What exactly could your independent Scotland do to threaten the continuing UK in any negotiations once a divorce starts formally?
Pretty much nothing as far as I see it, so expect the continuing UK government to screw you as much as it can.
Good luck with your pride and heartfelt passion, but in official legal and diplomatic negotiation it'll count for nothing when the UK is member of all the international clubs, while you are not, and you have no defence force...unlucky.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Anyway, it's that time again people..Up early to do ma bit at the polling station...

Tick Tock...

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Good luck fella, and for everyone who is voting tomorrow.
A no vote which changes the UK for the better of all of us is my hope, but if you do leave then at that point I will support my nation in any negotiations with yours.
That is the nature of competing foreign nations as far as I see it, and I choose to fight for an improved Union, but if you do leave then I will support my country over yours every time.

*Edit*
...it's a tribal thing I'm sure you can understand

edit on 17-9-2014 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 03:49 AM
link   

To back up what I was saying last night, just saw this in the news today;

He said: ‘Two young men aged in their 20s came up to me. I was talking to one of them normally, but then absolutely out of the blue the other just swung a punch at my head. I was a bit shocked and fell slightly backwards. I carry a white stick because I am half blind – they would have seen that.’
Police in Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, said a man in his 70s had a No poster taken from his mobility scooter and replaced with Yes stickers as he was shopping.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 04:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol

originally posted by: uncommitted

You said it...Have you any idea of the Billions that are wasted year in year out in the UK.
We have Foodbanks and High levels of poverty....you know...The English, Welsh Northern Irish should be asking the same question as we are...where does all the Oil and Gas money go... this should be a bonus money to help stop poverty...looks to me like they use it for anything and everything other than help reduce poverty.

You are missing my point. The point was that NHS Scotland has big funding issues. SNP blames Westminster for those but at the same time provides free prescriptions. Why then doesn't SNP look at where the money they receive is spent (clue: free prescriptions aren't actually free).

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 06:17 AM
link   

To back up what I was saying last night, just saw this in the news today;

He said: ‘Two young men aged in their 20s came up to me. I was talking to one of them normally, but then absolutely out of the blue the other just swung a punch at my head. I was a bit shocked and fell slightly backwards. I carry a white stick because I am half blind – they would have seen that.’
Police in Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, said a man in his 70s had a No poster taken from his mobility scooter and replaced with Yes stickers as he was shopping.

What news...And what has the first story have to do with Independence..??

As for the story of a man in his 70 having his scooter "defaced" with YES Stickers... lol..Crime of the Century...Hang em High. Straw clutch much.?

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 06:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
Good luck fella, and for everyone who is voting tomorrow.
A no vote which changes the UK for the better of all of us is my hope, but if you do leave then at that point I will support my nation in any negotiations with yours.
That is the nature of competing foreign nations as far as I see it, and I choose to fight for an improved Union, but if you do leave then I will support my country over yours every time.

*Edit*
...it's a tribal thing I'm sure you can understand

So you keep saying, Change the record man...

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 06:23 AM
link   
At the moment Scotland has a set budget (only portion of total spend) to pay for what it wants to provide. If independent could choose totally different budget over total revenue and expenditure.
I would happily pay more tax for better services.
Is not about blaming anyone.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 06:33 AM
link   
It's going to be a 'no' albeit by a small vote. Why are we even debating what will happen in an independent Scotland?
I foresee trouble whatever. A sizable minority is going to be peed off. So it will kick off in at least one Scottish city. Because the disenfranchised and frankly anyone who just needs an excuse to torch a few buildings etc will go nuts. In the longer term, the rest of the UK will be watching very closely what deals are done. Scotland was promised it could have its cake and eat it. We'll see.

new topics

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join