It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet 67P: images from the Rosetta probe show a shining object on the surface and other anomalies

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: AlphaHawk

Ahhhh ok...I was beginning to think maybe taking that red pill instead of the blue was a mistake
Whew!

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Arken

OMG... That's the Robot from Lost in Space..!!!

Where is Dr Smith I wonder...!?!

LOL

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Wow, so much debate and angst about a bunch of white pixels. What kind of "exploration of possibilities" or analysis can we perform on those pixels? Some rational suggestions about what they are have been given, but it seems to irritate those who want to place the "alien" tag on everything they deem an anomaly.

Why are people using the argument that "we don't know everything for certain" to push ideas that all these "anomalies" are of alien origin? Remarkable claims demand remarkable evidence.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 12:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Ironclad2000

LOL! That almost made me aspirate my coffee hahahaaaa

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 12:42 AM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

I still don't get what aliens have to do with this beyond a peripheral reference made early in the thread. I didn't think the OP was about aliens. .. it just said UFO which does not necessarily mean it's an alien vessel. Am I missing something?

Personally, I'd actually think that a race so advanced that it can travel light years through space would likely have a far more technologically advanced mechanism than an antenna on an asteroid. .. call me crazy but that just seems a bit outdated for beings that advanced.

Of course, all we can do at this point is speculate because nothing can be verified 100% but if there actually exists an antenna up there my opinion is that it's because we found a way to put it up there. For all we know, there could be some kind of classified experiment going on up there. Anything is possible.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 03:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: aynock
a reply to: zatara

i've seen that suggested in a couple of places - do you have a source that suggests they are using one, and better yet - where it was placed - i've looked but couldn't find anything

thanks

I was just making an uneducated guess... I have no idea what it is..

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 04:35 AM
link   
a reply to: zatara

thanks for the clarification

looks like no one can say for certain what it is

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   
This “metallic disk” is not made of metal, it’s most likely the focus of a plasma discharge, which is something I predicted would make an appearance months ago:

3. Image sensors will detect areas of whiteout if the comet is active. This whiteout will be caused by plasma discharges. Should the landing be successful, it’s possible that the lander may directly image plasma electrically machining the rocky surface of the comet. We may observe glowing discharges in areas of shadow.

When the image is contrast enhanced, it becomes clear that a glowing halo centers around the bright spot:

I’ve placed a red dot on top of the “metallic disk” to show its original location.

You can achieve the same contrast enhanced image by downloading the photo editing software GIMP, and then setting the Image->Mode to RBG and setting the Colors->Brightness-Contrast to 119 Brightness and 125 Contrast.

The “metallic disk” is clearly the focus of a faint glowing plasma halo.

This is the first of many such "anomalies" that we will see coming from this comet.

We will see more bright spots.

We will see more "jets" that seem to have no origin point.

The ESA is in for many more surprises.

Read more about this here:
www.libertariannews.org...

edit on 9/17/2014 by AnarchoCapitalist because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: tigertatzen

Personally, I'd actually think that a race so advanced that it can travel light years through space would likely have a far more technologically advanced mechanism than an antenna on an asteroid. .. call me crazy but that just seems a bit outdated for beings that advanced.

I can think of two reasons why they might place a radio device on space rocks.

1. They placed it there many years ago as an experiment when they were just learning how to get into space.

2. An advanced race places them on rocks for tracking purposes. Any species capable of super fast space travel may need to know where those rocks are because maybe at super fast speeds they cannot scan the space ahead of them.

I can see the flaws in point two, but we have no idea what an alien species are capable of, for them tagging rocks might seem a good idea.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: AnarchoCapitalist

The bright spot is most likely the focus of a plasma discharge. This is the first of many such "anomolies" that we will see coming from this comet.

Right on AnarchoCapitalist, that is what I was thinking. Material obviously gets removed from the surface, particularly in the neck region, and that some kind of dusty plasmoid might form at the focus would seem to make sense, floating just above the surface. As far as I can determine, the images are likely in the IR, so the whiteness would be because the object is warmer, and when the plasma discharge ceases, the object may cool and get attracted to the surface, producing the boulders. It's also maybe possible that the objects then act as points of attraction for the next discharge, and grow by a sputter deposition process.
Anyway, the first of many such anomalies, I think you are absolutely correct.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: AnarchoCapitalist

I did a full article on this anomaly that includes my predictions of this finding, along with a discussion of the anomalous "jets" that are being observed:

www.libertariannews.org...

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk

Hi smurfy

Are you into reading sci fi ?
Some of the best scifi I've read (by that I mean scifi based on believable science) has massive space rocks hollowed out with humans living inside them. Most are owned by the very rich, and are copies of alien arks.
Similar to this.

My avatar name (voidhawk) comes from a scifi book. Its a type of sentient space ship used by aliens. Something like this.

If you dont mind losing yourself in some very good scifi for months on end then check out Peter F Hamilton (Knights Dawn Trilogy), once you get your head into them its hard to escape

Or even Alistair Reynolds (Chasm city - Revelation space etc..)

Well, I was really into Wells, Verne and Orwell as a kid. Orwell was like the other side of Wells, dark and political, slightly racist. Wells was quite a remarkable character, teleportation, television, time travel, space travel death rays and so many authors embellished their books with Wells as the basis. Wells also come close to being the proponent of NWO.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

1. They placed it there many years ago as an experiment when they were just learning how to get into space.

2. An advanced race places them on rocks for tracking purposes. Any species capable of super fast space travel may need to know where those rocks are because maybe at super fast speeds they cannot scan the space ahead of them.

Both of those actually sound like perfectly plausible explanations, thank you for giving me a different perspective to chew on.
It would seem that I overlooked the concept of this hypothetical advanced race ever being not quite so advanced at one time. I was thinking more along the lines of us putting it up there, either as a communications device or an experiment, kind of like we tag wildlife to study their behavior without contaminating their environment. But your hypotheses are a lot more fun to consider...will be an excellent topic for lunch conversation today.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I guess everyone will keep to their own ideas about what that thing could be, no matter what anyone else says. The only fact is that it's a bunch of white pixels in an image, over a location where it wasn't before, and doesn't appear later.

~~~

The location where that white thing appeared is visible in the latest NAVCAM mosaic from Sep 14th: Click!

The boulder over which the white thing appeared is visible here as a small boulder below the bigger one in the centre of the image.

@AnarchoCapitalist - it only appears as a disc if you resize the original image using bicubic or bilinear resample, which smoothes the pixels over and creates sinuous edges, even if there weren't any. Pixel-resize is a more faithful technique, and shows this white thing as a squareish group of pixels 3x3, if you don't count additional pixels on the sides. I'd say there's nowhere near enough information in that image to call that thing a disc, a spacecraft, or anything else.

By the way, your prediction has a lot of hedge-betting. "This whiteout will be caused by plasma discharges." You simply state that, but what if the whiteout is due to ices sublimating? "The surface will be blackened and charred from electrical scaring." Again just a statement, what if the blackening is from cosmic radiation, as accepted by the mainstream model?
edit on 17-9-2014 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

I agree, it's not a disk. It's a plasma discharge focus. The focus can take many shapes, and it may disappear, reappear and show up in different locations.

We will see many more of these whiteout spots as the comet becomes more active.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: wildespace....

To me, it looks like either an image artifact, or a piece of dust or ice near the camera. Directly below the white patch, you can see an area of "noise". So I'm very doubtful that this is a real surface feature, or something floating above the surface. One remote possibility, though, is that the top of the boulder has some very reflective inclusions, which reflect sunlight only in the direction the camera was looking at in that particular image.....

I've skimmed the thread and didn't see any reference to this note from Mark D'Antonio of MFON who seems to agree with you.

After examining the photo in some detail I believe with a high degree of certainty that its a camera artifact caused by a light saturated spot on the camera sensor where the reflectivity was high enough to cause this small bloom effect. It looks odd because it is currently the only one although there are two other spots on this photo with similar but smaller objects.

Keep in mind that as the comet gets closer to the Sun, it will begin outgassing and its very likely that the surface will be changing somewhat radically including the possibility that the comet will finally break into fragments at that narrow neck location. But moving forward there will certainly be icy areas exposed and freshly exposed areas will likely be more reflective.

As far as knowing it is a camera artifact, this is because the object is in much sharper definition ....

full reply in comments to www.huffingtonpost.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: JimOberg

Yeah, Wildespace and D'Antonio can cling to that assumption for now.

There's going to be more of these spots.

Many more.

Eventually the fact that they are all tied to the appearance of diffuse "jets" will become undeniable.

The bright spots will appear mostly along ridges and high points in areas facing the Sun, but if the comet is active enough, we may see them appear in areas of shadow as well. Hopefully we'll get an image of a nice big fat blazing discharge in an area that is clearly in the shadows.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Clearly it's a discarded McDonalds bag.
Solved.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk

originally posted by: tigertatzen

I can see the flaws in point two, but we have no idea what an alien species are capable of, for them tagging rocks might seem a good idea.

How can we talk about Alien technology and equipment using references to our own. Radio devices and Antennae ?
They would probably liken a stick antennae to how we would envision a wooden branch with a rock tied to the end with vines. I do not think that any Alien technology would even be recognizable by us, or even visible, for that matter.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Cool stuff! - Thanks for posting this Arken

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join