It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet 67P: images from the Rosetta probe show a shining object on the surface and other anomalies

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+25 more 
posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 02:00 AM
link   
The four images coming from European Space Agency, by the Rosetta space probe, which is orbiting and mapping the comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko, taken on 10 September 2014 by NavCam, show a mysterious shining circular object that seems to float on the surface of the space body. This White anomaly is quite suspicious and even some researchers can't explain...
www.esa.int...

The Shining Circular Object

White feature
Fantastic image. The full size one is interesting... as a very interesting feature located at 3 o'clock on the upper section (top) of the comet. It looks almost white, casting a shadow that is not connected to the bottom part of the feature. Any interpretation?

Here some other anomalies cropped by me on the same image of the comet.

The Antenna and its long shadow

The Squared Monolith

The video on the first anomaly

edit on 16-9-2014 by Arken because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Interesting, but they have this to say about that white object...from your source.

We know that many of you like exploring these images, and one feature you may quickly notice is the rather bright object seen near the centre of the slope in the upper right. We too were curious and looked at an image taken earlier and it was not visible (the shadow beneath it is coincidence; this is also seen in images without the object). Therefore it is most likely either an image artefact or a transient object in the foreground.

then they go on to say this...

Indeed, if you adjust the contrast of the image you will see that there is a lot of ‘noise’ in the background. Some of this is simply detector noise and cosmic rays, but there seem to be a few bright objects that may be dust/ice particles between Rosetta and the comet.

blogs.esa.int...

Seems as though they knew what to address and did just that.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 02:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Arken

Nice finds.. I am curious if they will be able to get higher resolution photos.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 02:37 AM
link   
a reply to: tsurfer2000h

Yes. A really long Blog debated on hypothesis by researchers on what that Object is or may be...

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Not seeing a shiny UFO. I'm no expert though. It's most likely the dust particles that travel along with it. Or it could be man made space debris.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 02:56 AM
link   
a reply to: violet

Or it could be man made space debris.

Our space debris?
No. That comet is really too far, and space is really... an huge...place.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Looks like an ice particle with a special light reflection / camera angle to me, don't freak out guys...

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 04:27 AM
link   
I love all these things ...
how the more we explore, and the deeper we delve in all respects, the more we realize theres sooo much more needs to be understood than previously thought ...

Imagine how boring life would be .. if none of these things existed, other than what we are told to believe ...
nothing to suggest there was ever any artifacts anywhere .. nothing to hint to extra terrestrial life .... no UFOs ... no ghosts ... no telepathy, OBEs or NDEs ... no elusive yetis or monsters ... and soo on .. you get the idea .. if none of these far out mysteries existed, to fire up my neurons .. i honestly hate to think how bland life would be ...

Love all of this .. even the stuff that ultimately never gets proven, or proven false ... still very enjoyable .. fires the imagination

good find .. thanks ...

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 05:03 AM
link   
The "antenna" is interesting.
Where do comets come from or go to?
Solution: Fire a radio device at the comet so that it goes with it.
Could it be an alien radio device???

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 06:33 AM
link   
The OP's image has been enlarged using technique that smoothes the pixels out, creating shapes that aren't really there.

A pixel-resized image is more faithful, so here it is:

To me, it looks like either an image artifact, or a piece of dust or ice near the camera. Directly below the white patch, you can see an area of "noise". So I'm very doubtful that this is a real surface feature, or something floating above the surface. One remote possibility, though, is that the top of the boulder has some very reflective inclusions, which reflect sunlight only in the direction the camera was looking at in that particular image.

By the way, here's the best view of that area from Aug 7th: www.esa.int...

(the boulder in question is just above the centre of the image)

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 06:53 AM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

Maybe Comets are being driven by Remote Control.

But seriously that does look like an Antenna for something. Maybe another Civilization have gone that step further and put an Antenna on the Comet to see if it can pick up any civilizations on other Worlds! Probably turn out to be nothing though.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 06:54 AM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

If we can see it, we know where it's coming from and going to, no need to put a transmitter on it to tell us that

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 06:59 AM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

The "antenna" is just part of the outcrop to the right of it, the dark gap in between is part of that same outcrop, just shrouded in shadow, creating the illusion that it's a gap.

You can see the same effect on the other side of that same outcrop.

edit on 16-9-2014 by AlphaHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 07:23 AM
link   
looking at the original esa image, it does look to me like a disc floating above the surface and casting a circular shadow

you can see an elongated shadow from the boulder (matching the shadows from the other boulders), but also what appears to be a circular shadow at the base of the boulder shadow that seems appropriate for a floating disc

maybe an optical illusion, maybe not

thanks for posting

edit on 16-9-2014 by aynock because: filled out

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Arken

Slowly, slowly, we are coming to terms with signs of intelligent activities within our own star system. Not that we ever needed to go that route, given the presence of UFOs here around our globe, but as we gaze outward and learn of the enormity of the possibilities out there, we can start casting more glimpses around to things and events closer at hand.

As for the white blob seemingly floating above the surface on that asteroid, subsequent images will probably not show it and, thus, allowing it to be dismissed as an artifact of some sort. But if you were to search in the archives of ATS you will find an interesting discussion of an structure on another asteroid that strongly resembles a huge mining machine. And if you can stretch your willingness to believe even further, you can wonder about the grooves on the Mars' moon Phobos and surmise that they are the result of intelligent actions. And even further, deeper, into the rabbit hole is all of the undisclosed, mysterious and unrecognized facts and data about comets.

I don't suppose many of you have ever wondered why in the years since the grooves of Phobos were accidentally discovered on that little body (1977) there has been a growing chorus of scientific voices advocating the taming and mining of asteroids when, amazingly, we now lack the equipment/initiative to even get to our Moon? That is what Phobos is too, you know, a captured asteroid, despite strong protestations from many astrophysicists.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: aynock

It could easily be an optical illusion, this photo came to mind for me as a good example..

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Some folks can only jump in to respond with reasoned and orthodox explanations. Others believe that 'they' are out there doing there own thing in 'our' solar system.

Why should this one shiny object be an artifact when there are numerous other images where there are no artifacts. If it was smaller, it would be a couple of lost pixels on the detector no doubt, in spite of all that money NASA spends on getting the best camera equipment. I suspect that there are better images about somewhere but they just dont want to show us pictures of the huge mining machines 'they' have on all the asteroids whizzing around our solar system.

On a black and white photo the pixels can only be - a shade of grey or black or white. Maybe we could see the images taken through other filters of the same area and it may show more detail. These space craft take a whole string of photos one after the other so this shiny thing should show up in pictures either side of this one and from a slightly different angle to the sun as the space craft moves in relation to the asteroid.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: AlphaHawk

funny picture - thanks

the obvious difference being the illusionary shadow in this picture is inconsistent with the other shadow (assuming the sun is the light source)

there is more consistency in the esa image

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   
To those people saying that it might be dust or a particle near the camera, if that is correct, then what is leaving the shadow there?

If you look at the photo of the "antenna", about an inch to the right of the antenna there is what looks to be a black "antenna" about half the height of the original one. It is parallel with the original one and has a round top. It looks like the base of it is sitting in a dug-out square.
Kind of hard to explain but does anyone else see what i mean?

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: wildespace

One ... possibility, though, is that the top of the boulder has some very reflective inclusions, which reflect sunlight only in the direction the camera was looking at in that particular image.

I vote you are correct...the same boulder with light not reflecting off a flat smooth surface which happened to be captured in the 1st picture.

If these were not 'still shots' but were part of a data stream video, then the bright reflection instant was selected out of the normal surface boulders sitting there in a boring, timeless & silent location on a comet.

its either a complex chance out of a trillion
or a deliberate feeding out of pics to stimulate or excite the public with sensationalism

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join