It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

score one for the good guys ohp arrested

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:57 AM
link   
m.news9.com...

Dunno if its been posted .

Gave me tingles when I heard.

And im off to bed

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Eric Roberts is currently suspended with pay, but the termination process has begun, according to Chief of Patrol Col. Ricky Adams.

Before people flip out over this think about it for a second. They can't fire someone automatically. That whole thing about innocent until proven guilty. If you're working as a cashier and are suspected of stealing the company can't fire you just because a few customers say they saw you. They need proof.

It's really the right thing to do. Remove the guy from the situation and protect yourself from lawsuits while also respecting rights that everyone should be afforded.

All that being said, I hope he does some hard time if he's guilty. I'm actually OK with LEO getting harsher penalties for things like this where power and trust are used to commit crimes. Thee should be laws about it, and perhaps there are. So commission of a felon while employed as a peace officer should get someone additional years, the same way using a gun in a robbery would.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 03:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

just curious are there any other jobs other than LE where you can get suspended for doing the wrong thing with pay ?

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 03:24 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Teachers are the first group that springs to mind. If there are accusations of misconduct or abuse the school is going to want to remove them from the position so they can't continue alleged abuse, but will have to keep them employed because an investigation is pending and you can't fire someone over hearsay. I remember a case around here (Seattle-ish) where the teacher was accused of misconduct and it was found out the girls were blatantly lying out of some sort of revenge.

You're going to see this more with salaried positions and positions outside of retail. Especially those where the charges are more severe. Things like theft and drug use are easy to deal with. Take a drug test. If you're clean you stay. Things like rape, assault etc. are going to be dealt with differently because it's not always black and white.

I used to do Asset Protection for a large company and we would continue to let employees suspected of stealing work until we had a bulletproof case (allowing someone to continue committing a crime is NOT entrapment). Now if someone had been reported for raping someone they would have been put on paid leave pending a police investigation. This protects others in case the allegations are true, protects the person who the allegations were claimed against, and also the company from getting sued for either inaction (letting the person work and do it again) or false termination. So a doctor rumored to have raped someone at a hospital would most likely go on paid leave. A cashier or even salaried manager that was "just" stealing would be given enough rope to hang themselves with as the loss could be recouped.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 03:31 AM
link   

good point...makes sense...so we can assume that would go across the board for government employees

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 04:07 AM
link   

I would think/hope so. I don't really know honestly. I'm sure every place has a different policy for dealing with this sort of issue but I would think most are fairly similar.

If a cop is suspended without pay, it's punishment and he's already guilty of something. If a cop is suspended with pay I usually expect him to be fired (if it's not a shooting which is always an automatic suspension with pay).

Every time I see a thread where a cop is suspended with pay people jump on it and claim he's getting a vacation. Not how it works. I also see people claim the cop in question will be right back on the force after his vacation. Never see a follow up. It's a stupid assumption because people want to believe a narrative they already have in their heads. SO many cases where a cop gets put on paid leave end up with the cop being terminated/jailed. People just forget to care what the actual end result is as long as they can make claims that back up preconceived notions.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 05:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Another_Nut

They got him dressed in orange but he'll be in
protective custody before he gets to prison.
Can't believe he would leave his victim alive?
Whatta dumb ass!

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 05:43 AM
link   
You can kind of lump a lot of the positions by say government workers. There might be a few other spots out there like banking CEO's, but government works should cover at least 75% of the positions that you can screw up totally and still have the same job. I'm still trying to figure how this works and how we got to this point.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 07:48 AM
link   

If you're working as a cashier and are suspected of stealing the company can't fire you just because a few customers say they saw you. They need proof.

There are lots of state where a person can be fired.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Great replies all .

Hopefully they will deduct the settlement from his last check

I really dont have much more to say other than I hope this become the new norm

But I wont hold my breath...unless im being choked out by a cop

edit on am920143007America/ChicagoTue, 16 Sep 2014 07:50:48 -0500_9u by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

edit on am920143007America/ChicagoTue, 16 Sep 2014 07:51:34 -0500_9000000 by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 08:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

just curious are there any other jobs other than LE where you can get suspended for doing the wrong thing with pay ?

Corporate CEO. And they generally get paid a large sum to leave. Sweet deal.
edit on 9/16/2014 by roadgravel because: typo

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I say it a lot but once again....we need mandatory routine checks for steroid and hgh abuse for all LE and also severe penalties for violating the public trust. If this officer is found guilty then he should be executed as an example to other LE.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1

Eric Roberts is currently suspended with pay, but the termination process has begun, according to Chief of Patrol Col. Ricky Adams.

Before people flip out over this think about it for a second. They can't fire someone automatically. That whole thing about innocent until proven guilty. If you're working as a cashier and are suspected of stealing the company can't fire you just because a few customers say they saw you. They need proof.

It's really the right thing to do. Remove the guy from the situation and protect yourself from lawsuits while also respecting rights that everyone should be afforded.

All that being said, I hope he does some hard time if he's guilty. I'm actually OK with LEO getting harsher penalties for things like this where power and trust are used to commit crimes. Thee should be laws about it, and perhaps there are. So commission of a felon while employed as a peace officer should get someone additional years, the same way using a gun in a robbery would.

Oklahoma is a "right to work" state, and generally speaking, people can be fired for things as 'simple' as tarnishing the reputation of the company for which they work--every time an LEO is accused of illegal activity, they do just that. In this particular case, it appears that there is physical evidence (condom) and circumstantial evidence (turning off mic and camera) to substantiate the claim(s) of the victim(s).

LEOs should be held to a higher standard of conduct and be expected to consistently perform at that standard, at the very least, while on duty. If they don't, they could/should be fired, imo. I disagree that there should be a judicial process completed and a finding reached prior to terminating an employee...that just makes no sense. If he thinks he was wrongfully terminated, that's up to him to persue via his union or an attorney, but it's not the state's job to determine absolute innocence or guilt before acting on behalf of their police force or the safety of the public.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   

If i suspend you, and find no wrong doing, I am required to pay you. At least, in Texas under our Payday Law.

If i suspend you and find wrongdoing, then your termination is effective immediately and you get no "backpay".

I have never investigated something that crossed pay periods....so have no experience on whether you withhold pay and issue backpay or not. Frankly, i can't imagine a scenario in my work where it would take more than a day or two to investigate something.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Is texas a

Right to work

State??

Oklahoma is and u can be fired for anything at anytine with not reason or justification
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Another_Nut
Is texas a

Right to work

State??

Oklahoma is and u can be fired for anything at anytine with not reason or justification
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Firung and suspending are two different things. And it will cost you on SUI

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   

That depends on what state you are working in. If you are in an at will state they can fire whenever they want they don't even have to give you an excuse.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Kudos to the brave woman who came forward. I'm surprised they even investigated it.

There's a plethora of rape kits in various precincts that never even get investigated.

top topics

join