It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive 5,000 year old Megalithic Structure Revealed in Israel

page: 1

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   
It's believed to be built before the Egyptian pyramids and Stonehenge. Archeologists previously believed it was a city wall, but now believe it is a lunar monument. Its volume is about 14,000 cubic meters (almost 500,000 cubic feet) and it has a length of about 150 meters (492 feet) making it longer than a American Football field.

It's located about 8 miles (13 kilometers) northwest of the Sea of Galilee near the site of Bet Yerah where another stone monument, a giant cairn that weighs more than 60,000 tons, was discovered recently beneath the sea. Another structure, called Rujum el-Hiri, in the Golan Heights (an area to the east of the Sea of Galilee) with four circles and a cairn at its center has been found in the area as well.

Rujum el-Hiri

Bet Yerah

At the time this monument was built, the site of Bet Yerah was located only 18 miles (29 km) away. Bet Yerah was a large town with a grid plan and fortification system, according to a study detailed in 2012 in the Journal of Near Eastern Archaeology. Its inhabitants traded with the early kings of Egypt, as seen from several artifacts, including a jug with a hieroglyphic inscription. The name Bet Yerah indicates that it was associated with the moon god. However, it's uncertain whether the town actually bore this name 5,000 years ago. In the 2012 journal article, researchers said the name "Bet Yerah" was recorded in 1,500-year-old Jewish rabbinic texts and may date back much earlier.

Live Science

edit on 15-9-2014 by FearYourMind because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-9-2014 by FearYourMind because: Typo

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   
is it supposed to also be Shaped like a Crescent moon, or is that just whats visibly left of it (from an aerial view)?
ETA: never mind! I need to check links before posting, as it answered my Q. (A: Yes)
edit on 9/15/2014 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

According to the the article yes, it is a lunar-crescent-shaped stone monument. I wish there were more pictures of this site, but the aerial pics seem to resemble that claim.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Looks almost like a theater setting for plays and music. Building a reflective wall to shift the sound to the audience.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: FearYourMind

omg, the moon god Sin.

Adda Guppi

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777

omg, the moon god Sin.

Adda Guppi

Yes Sin or what the Sumerians called Nanna and is represented in this depiction as a crescent with what is believed to be King Ur-Nammu. I've seen some other similar impressions of the deity as a crescent. Seems before Islam came into existence, the Sabeans in Arabia worshiped this moon-god, who was married to the sun-god. The myth was that these two gods gave birth to three goddesses who were worshiped throughout the Arab world as "Daughters of Allah."

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Great find. Can't wait to find out more about this. Are they going to do a research on it?

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 05:34 AM
link   
a reply to: truthmaker

I hope so as they have some of the finest archaeologists in the world. Usually most of them are working on projects that show a Jewish past, but this is far earlier and so would be very interesting to learn as much about as possible.

It looks like a maze also to me but I suspect it was used for observations and I wonder if they have measured its alignments. Perhaps it was a temple of sorts, its going to be fascinating to learn more about it? We have Neanderthal and homo sapiens remains there so later sites are going to prove fascinating.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   
It can't be total coincidence--and I can't be the only one noticing--that instead of a crecent shape, it looks like a horseshoe shape, with two parallel lines coming from the two (apparent) endpoints of the crescent. Is it just me? In both pictures, vegitation is missing along those lines.

Just thinking out loud...

ETA: Also, here are some more pics: www.livescience.com...[editb y]edit on 16-9-2014 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

I was waiting for someone else to say something. Not only does it look horseshoe shaped, but I can almost picture it making a full oval shape. I doubt the site has been fully excavated and some more digging needs to be done. Many of these ancient megalithic sites are scattered about as if something wiped them out. I'll bet they find much more around the area to suggest it was not a crescent shaped monument. We're still digging and finding more and more at just about every site in the world, so this one won't be any different. This is just the tip of the iceberg here at this site.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   
The site is located at:

32°56'22.76"N

35°25'35.20"E

Resolution on Google Earth isn't great, but it may help in identifying lines and anomalies around the site.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Although, from the other pics provided in my additional link, it is located on a hillside, which seems to be an odd placement for a horseshoe-shaped temple/monument. But, it'll be interesting to see what comes of this new determination, as I assume it will prompt further investigation.

I love to see when accepted academia's assumptions are decidedly wrong--I think that there will be much more of that to come in the future.

Thanks for posting the coordinates.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   

I don't know...the more I look at it via satellite imagery, it looks to just be that crescent shape, as it in itself seems to face (open side) almost directly south. Plus, if you look at it through street view, it appears that the "path" on the east side might be for power lines. The "path" on the left looks like it may be a natural rock outcropping.

Bing's imagery is clouded over that area, so it's of zero use :/

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

My first thought was power lines. As with all of these structures it's alignment is most likely significant although I haven't read any articles to verify that. It most likely is a crescent shaped monument considering the history of the Sin God aka Nanna who was highly valued and accepted by the people of those times.

Another depiction of this crescent representing the "Sin God" on a ancient Sumerian tablet.

The moon, which is a prominent symbol in Islam, is a reflector, nurturer and incubator of light.

new topics

top topics

active topics

join