It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia targets the Baltic states, NATO warns Russia (round 2)

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

With Putin's actions he once again created a scenario he did not want - Scandinavian countries looking to join NATO.

Russia has already moved forces to the border with Finland. An act a neutral nation took as provocative, forcing them to reevaluate their position as a neutral nation as well as to consider joining NATO.

I am really getting the impression that Putin and his allies, buying into their own propaganda used on the Russian people, are at a loss as to why they are not popular outside of Russian borders. Its almost as if Putin thinks everyone should love him and believe him and genuinely seems confused when this is not the case.

He is a megalomaniac top to bottom.
edit on 19-9-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Just in:

Russia has detained a Lithuanian fishing vessel and it's being towed to Murmansk Port, Russian and Lithuanian officials said on Friday.

"It was crab-fishing in international waters. The satellite system monitors the presence of every vessel with hourly precision, so we can claim that the vessel was in international waters. The incident started after a ship under the Russian flag approached and armed people demanded that the Lithuanian vessel heads to Murmansk Port. When the vessel command and captain refused to do so, they were removed by force and the vessel is being transported to Murmansk Port," the minister said.

en.delfi.lt...

So the russians detain a lithuanian fishing vessel, claiming it violated Russia's economic zone (which it didn't), yet few months ago, russian war ships were violating Lithuania's economic zone in the Baltic sea several times...
edit on 19-9-2014 by gmacev because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-9-2014 by gmacev because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: gmacev

I see Russian is not only acquiring hostages but trying to build up a provocation to go after the Baltic states. i see Russia is using China's playbook with regards to how they (wrongly) view the EEZ.

Putin must be stopped.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   

It is a test of will; NATO's weak response to Russia's invasion of Ukraine has encouraged Putin to see how far he can go before the rattled sabers are drawn.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   

It says it actual did for short period, but got taken in after they already left to international waters.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: BornAgainAlien

It says it actual did for short period, but got taken in after they already left to international waters.

Boarding a vessel in international waters and taking the crew hostage does not mean the crew violated russia borders. This is the same thing that occurred with the border patrol officer. Being kidnapped by force from the Estonian side of the border and dragged into the USSR.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

www.foxnews.com...

"WARSAW, Poland – Poland, Ukraine and Lithuania are forming a joint military unit that will be headquartered in Poland and will work to strengthen their military cooperation and will participate in peacekeeping missions."

The peacekeeping mission is not possible. It is a misnomer for covert activities.

I think this is the reason for a series of events happening involving Lithuania and Russia.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   
As military tensions rise, there will be increase in incidents. There are a number of options that Russia has to counter the threat posed to it.

Next in line is infrastructure.
edit on 19-9-2014 by GargIndia because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: GargIndia

Next in line is infrastructure.

Now you are predicting that Russia will sabotage infrastructure in neutral countries?

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Like I have been stating -

Call for peace marches in Russia

For the first time in six months, opposition groups in Russia want to demonstrate against the Kremlin's Ukraine policies and Moscow's propaganda machine. Observers on the ground look at the potential for protest.

On Sunday, September 21, peace marches are planned for Moscow and other major Russian cities. It has been announced that an estimated 50,000 people are expected to participate in the Russian capital alone, although it is unclear how many will actually turn up. It will be the first mass action by representatives of the opposition and civil groups against the interference of their country in Ukraine for half a year. In March 2014, reacting to the so-called "referendum" in Crimea on making the peninsula part of Russia, tens of thousands across the country took to the streets under the slogan "Hands off Ukraine."

Current surveys show, however, that a large majority of Russians still support the policy of the Kremlin towards Kyiv. Voices that question whether Moscow's actions are harmful not only for Ukraine but also for Russia are almost never heard publicly.

Passivity and Propaganda

According to the independent Russian pollster Levada Center, more than 80 percent of Russians would absolutely not participate in mass protests, even if they were taking place in their regions. Human rights activists and opposition members say this is the result of a successful fight on the part of the state against any kind of protest movement. Aggressive propaganda from the Kremlin has ensured this "success".

Russian opposition politician Boris Nemtzov

"The people are fooled by means of agitation and propaganda. A militaristic hysteria of the Ukraine conflict is being imposed in the country ", Russian opposition leader Boris Nemtsov said in an interview with Deutsche Welle.

Public opinion is being manipulated and is becoming more fascist, he noted. "Disgusting methods of persecution and insidious propaganda are used against political activists and dissidents. They are made responsible for all mortal sins and declared traitors," Nemtsov said.

Weakness of civil society

Sergei Smirnov, editor of the website "Human rights in Russia", says that civil society in Russia is weak and underdeveloped. That is the main reason why there are almost no protests in tje country. "In the 21st century, we are still deprived of effective ways to influence the decisions upon which not only our personal destinies but also that of our society and our country depend," he told DW. "Where are our civil institutions which sound the alarm when a threat to human rights even suggests itself, let alone if when it has already led to the deaths of people?"

According to Smirnov, for months non-governmental organizations have been under increasing pressure from authorities. "They try to represent these organizations as a 'fifth column' and 'foreign agents'. Even the organization of Soldiers' Mothers has been branded in this way" Smirnov said angrily.

Click link for remainder of article...

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   

All done in response to Russian aggression.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: kitzik
I welcome Russian concerns about discrimination of russian-speaking population in Baltic states, particularly in Latvia and Estonia. Since those states gained independence they introduced discriminating laws of citizenship.
I respect the right of those nations to self determination, but the rights of russian "alien citizens" need to be rectified.

Whatever. You might disagree with certain laws in certain other countries, but that doesn't give anybody a right or even a reason to invade another sovereign nation even if the affected minority happen to speak the same language as you do. Regardless of whether your country happen to be the USA, Russia or something else.

If I don't agree with laws in a certain country, I wouldn't use arms and start a small civil war. It's far easier to move myself and my family to another country that I agree with more. I've done it once and I'm ready to go it again if needed.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

originally posted by: victor7
It is good though, that Russia is standing up against Neo-Nazis and ill treatment of Russian minorities.

So the Baltic states are run by Neo nazis now?

Secondly how are they being mistreated?

Can't answer for the first question, but they are apparently mistreated such that they are required to actually speak the official language of the country that they live in, and they are apparently too lazy to learn Latvian, Ukrainian or whatever language it happens to be.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   

So the Baltic states are run by Neo nazis now

No, they run by inept nationalists that like to glorify the past even when it is not so glorious.

You mean like... Russia?

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   

What you are doing is showing your hypocrisy and willful ignorance on this specific issue.

I know 1000 times more than you.

And my car is bigger than yours.

This is taking on epicly childish proportions.

1. What happens with "labor migrants" is not the same like Latvian laws of citizenship. Those people (Latvian alien citizens) were born there during USSR time, lived there all their lives.

But they don't want to speak Latvian, being born in Latvia and intending to keep living in Latvia?

2. Latvia indeed outlawed dual citizenship ( with recent amendments to the law of citizenship) with most countries except narrow list of EU plus USA, Canada, Australia, some other.

EU membership requires dual citizenship. Most other countries have similar rules in place.

Even if they outlaw dual citizenship in the future - it is their right, it doesn't contradicts international laws.

Hang on, you just complained about Latvia doing precisely that!?

I didn't started discussion about dual citizenship, but the facts are just opposite. It is Latvia that prohibits dual citizenship with Russia and not vice versa.

You just stated above that if Russia would choose to do the same it's their right and doesn't contradict international laws. But for whatever reason you have serious issues with Latvia exercising their sovereign right.

You are confusing me.
edit on 19/9/2014 by moniker because: typo

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: moniker

In a multilingual country, English should be the official and paperwork language. Separate regions can have their own languages as a supplement or alternative addition to help people who are not fluent in English.

Have seen combo of English and regional language in many countries. Not sure but in Canada's Quebec province French is the main language and if needed English is used as a back up.

Heck, in the official paperwork etc. there can be 3 copies of a form: English, Main Language, and Regional Language.

Teaching the majority language by force should not be the practice. Those who seek jobs etc. in other areas would need to learn the main language and should not cry discrimination if not given the job due to language issues.

In the digital age, language barriers can be very easily overcome also via translation services.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: victor7
While Russia should have concerns regarding the ill treatment of Russian people, but I do not think Kremlin should make a military move in these Baltic countries.

Russia currently has shortage of skilled labor in computer coding, advanced engineering, aviation technologies etc. Hence Russia should encourage the ethnic Russians in hostile states like Baltics to immigrate back to RF.

I agree with you, however it wouldn't solve Russia's skills shortage. It is, generally speaking, the 'ethnic Russians'' who are the lowest educated and skilled in the Baltic states.

While they are good as an excuse to invade, having them in Russia is a burden that Russia would rather not have.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   

The peacekeeping mission is not possible. It is a misnomer for covert activities.

Why not?

And you could provide a reason as to why you think it is a misnomer for covert activities?

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   

a reply to: victor7

Come on people, why you even considering some artillery in NATO against Russia war ?
It is clear that nuclear weapons will be used.

Only Putin would be crazy enough, but I doubt he really is.

Putin visited secret bunkers in Altai Krai several days ago

So those bunkers are not that secret then now that everybody knows about them.

If you don't see that there is Nuclear Threat Alert RED Button BLINKING well, you may feel safe in USA. But I'm not so ...

In the unlikely case that Russia would be dumb enough to use nuclear weapons, then I'm sure that NATO would likewise deploy theirs that they have in locations such as Poland, Scotland etc.

And the other clown, Obama. He was drugged during his last speech about ISIL.

Quote possibly so.

We have paranoic and apathic/drugged fellows with buttons.

Indeed we have. On all sides.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr
Russia wouldnt directly take on NATO thus the reason they use subterfuge in Ukraine for example.But reality is NATO could deploy more troops than Russia could handle meaning this would have to go nuclear for Russia to survive. So lets hope these two dont start a real shooting war.

Well if they begin using nukes then none of them will survive.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join